project status?

project status?

Postby Dread Knight » 02 Jun 2012, 02:49

Heya! I must say I like SSBB a lot (even if I didn't actually played it) and I was close to considering making a clone at some point, but after doing some research, found out about this project.
Was wondering what's the status of development, since I noticed there hasn't been any activity in this subforum for quite a while now.

Btw, I'm founder of http://www.AncientBeast.com, which now has it's own subforum around FGD as well.
We're developing more than 50 original creatures in 3d for our project, under CC-BY-SA 3.0 license, which we're prerendering into sprites for the first version of the game.

As far as I'm concerned, you're free to use any of them for Ultimate Smash Friends as well (Flare RPG will be using some too it seems).
The creatures can be found in our Wuala repo http://www.wuala.com/AncientBeast/bestiary/

I really hope the USF project is not dead and that my creatures could bring some eye candy and new awesomeness into it.
Would be fun especially considering SSBB's crossover nature.
Last edited by Dread Knight on 02 Jun 2012, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.
AncientBeast.com - Battle other players by materializing and controlling awesome creatures, each having unique abilities!
FM Patreon page - Support the free open source game development foundation and creation of high quality free assets!
Dread Knight
AB Moderator

Re: project status?

Postby ctdabomb » 02 Jun 2012, 02:54

I also was wondering about the status of this project also and was thinking of maybe working on it if it need/wanted help......
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby aspidites » 02 Jun 2012, 07:38

Assuming tshirtman hasn't the time to answer, allow me to shed light on the status of this project. It isn't dead, nor technically stalled, but rather ona extended release schedule that border-lines the definition of indefinite :-P. That is, all of the main contributors are either busy working on other urgent matters (tshirtman, for example, is busy with a commercial project, and also contributes to the kivy project). That said, he's really good about accepting patches so long as they:
a) don't break existing code
b) are reasonable (in cases where he doesn't think they are, he'll opening engage in a dialog with you, thus giving you the opportunity to argue in favor of your contribution)
c) understand that it might take a couple of days for him to get to your request.

I personally have been going through the code (rather slowly) in an effort to help simplify the code base and see what portions could be gutted and rewritten for clarity, efficiency, and extensibility. I have other projects that I'm working on, hince the slowness of my pace.

If you'd like to contribute, I'd suggest jumping on #usf-game @ irc.freenode.net, forking the code from github (or cloning from launchpad) and filing a ticket on launchpad. In the event that this information is wrong, I'll be sure to prod tshirtman into responding and correcting me :-P

launchpad: https://launchpad.net/ultimate-smash-friends
github: https://github.com/tshirtman/ultimate-smash-friends
aspidites

Postby tshirtman » 06 Jun 2012, 21:58

Hi, sorry for late answer, have been pretty busy lately. Aspidites summed it pretty well, project not considered dead, it's been a non eventful year or so, but i'll come back to it, studies and paid work took most of my time and energy, but that should be for the better after.

Anyway, i'm open to contributions, i'll try to find time to help people wanting to get stuff done, so don't hesitate, i just won't try to do a lot myself, because i can't really invest a lot of time.

Thanks for your interrest in the project, i appreciate that my work get that attention, i'm sorry i can't respond to it properly yet.
tshirtman
USF Moderator