USF in Windows

USF in Windows

Postby stked » 12 Mar 2010, 00:09

Hi!
I have Microsoft's Visual Studio 2005. I was wondering if compiling latest Bazaar code is possible. If so, what else do I need to download? If not, is there an alternative program? I'd really like to help out.
Gaming with Netbooks blog
gamingwithnetbooks.blogspot.com

STK editor website
stked.webs.com
stked

Re: USF in Windows

Postby tshirtman » 12 Mar 2010, 18:42

HI and thanks for you interrest :)

usf is a python game, so it doesn't need to be compiled (but it can be, read on), you just need python and pygame to play it.
to get python: http://python.org/download (takes python2.6 windows installer)
to get pygame: http://www.pygame.org/download.shtml (takes latest for python2.6)

when you have installed both you should be able to launch ultimate-smash-friends with python.

But as it's a bit overcomplicated for windows users (it's MUCH easier in linux as python is already installed, and pygame is one click away) it's possible to compile to a .exe, using py2exe... I did, once, more than a year ago as I don't use windows at home, and it worked, but I'm not sure if i can still help you with that, i mean help more than linking to a tutorial that should be useful ^^
http://www.py2exe.org/index.cgi/Tutorial

if you have any difficulties or some progress to tell about, don't hesitate to post about, I will do what I can to help! (last time I checked the game was working on windows, so should be still the case).
tshirtman
USF Moderator

Postby aspidites » 13 Mar 2010, 08:03

Actually, with the new build system I created, py2exe shouldn't even be neccessary. In theory, you should only need to do a few things:

1. Install python for windows: http://python.org/download/
2. Install pygame for windows: http://www.pygame.org/download.shtml
3. Install bazaar: http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/WindowsDownloads
4. Fetch the latest source from launchpad:
bzr branch lp:ultimate-smash-friends
5. Run the game:
[ ultimate-smash-friends ] $ python ./ultimate-smash-friends

As for making an executable for windows, it should be as easy as running the following from the command line within the source directory:
[ ultimate-smash-friends] $ python setup.py bdist_wininst

However, I don't have a Windows box, so the setup.py script may need a bit of tweaking. ;-)

Once ultimate-smash-friends is deemed usable, an updated exe file will be maintained on the main site (usf.tuxfamily.org)

* note that "[ ultimate-smash-friends ] $" is a prompt and shouldn't be typed.
aspidites

Postby qubodup » 13 Mar 2010, 11:27

aspidites: py2exe is not required indeed, but it is intended to allow players to avoid doing steps 1-5 and just download the exe that somebody else created and run it to play. Cuz that's the windows way :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby tshirtman » 13 Mar 2010, 12:58

@aspidites: this would create a .msi? with a .exe or depending on python/pygame?

anyway I think i'll test on my long-time-no-see windows VM…
tshirtman
USF Moderator

Postby stked » 13 Mar 2010, 21:07

Is there any Python 3.1.1 compatibility? I know pygame has support for it, but does USF?
Gaming with Netbooks blog
gamingwithnetbooks.blogspot.com

STK editor website
stked.webs.com
stked

Postby tshirtman » 14 Mar 2010, 01:56

USF is currently completly untested in python 3.* patch to make it work (preferably not breaking 2.5+ compatibility) are welcome :).

(not sure if this is a lot of work, and it would make pygame people happy i think).

edit: oh I tested installer generation with setup.py on windows, it's a bit wrong (result is not correct) but it's not to far of being correct. (the installer install in python2.6\Program Files\, and the folder is 'ultimate-smash-friendsdata' and contain only data).
tshirtman
USF Moderator

Postby aspidites » 20 Mar 2010, 01:39

tshirtman {l Wrote}:@aspidites: this would create a .msi? with a .exe or depending on python/pygame?

anyway I think i'll test on my long-time-no-see windows VM…

Hince why I said packages could be made using the setup.py.

At any rate, tshirtman and I have identified a few points of interest for the setup.py + windows, which I aim to at least TRY to correct tomorrow.

For now, it is possible to build debian packages, rpm packages, and install by simply typing:
python setup.py install

update:
I can't seem to find a way to get setup.py to install to the correct folder. The package always seems to either a) not add files, or b) add them to c:\Python26

Until I can get some help with this, I've disabled setup.py for windows users. The zip archives should work just fine though
aspidites

Postby aspidites » 04 Apr 2010, 00:59

I have finally gotten setup.py to work for Windows. A package has already been created for Windows XP and earlier, but we still need to generate packages for Vista and Windows 7. I think tshirtman will be able to do the Windows 7 package and xapantu the Vista one, but for those of you who are impatient generating an msi from sources is trivial. Visit the blog to see just how easy it is!

Anyways, there are still a lot of things to do, but we sure could use a few testers to help iron out a few kinks. Thanks!
aspidites

Postby xapantu » 04 Apr 2010, 09:42

Great !
I will test your .msi on my Windows Vista computer soon ! (but you think it doesn't work on Vista ?)
I haven't windows xp anymore : the hard disk crashs yesterday :(
xapantu

Postby aspidites » 04 Apr 2010, 18:42

xapantu {l Wrote}:Great !
I will test your .msi on my Windows Vista computer soon ! (but you think it doesn't work on Vista ?)
I haven't windows xp anymore : the hard disk crashs yesterday :(

Actually, it should work just fine. I was thinking I was using environment variables that pointed to different locations (APPDATA), but this is only done in config.py NOT setup.py. As such, ALL Windows users (32 bit anyways) should be able to use the installer. I'll update the blog and the download page to reflect this.
aspidites

Postby xapantu » 05 Apr 2010, 08:22

But your MSI in only 160 ko ?
Did I forget anything ?
(as maybe use the .zip with the .msi ?)
xapantu

Postby aspidites » 09 Apr 2010, 18:27

No you didn't, I'm just silly. Sorry about the false alarm. It seems that with bdist_wininst it is impossible to install to any location outside of c:\Python26 -- unless you can do so with post_install scripts, and with bdist_msi, only the python files are copied to the installer if you try to use absolute paths for anything else. What was happening is that when I was running setup.py, the installer was being created which had the usf module inside it, then everything else was being installed directly to the computer instead of being placed inside the installer, which explains the small installer size.

I tried going back to py2exe, but the problem is that (even after reading the wiki to do so) I can't get a single executible created that doesn't rely on a bunch of dynamically-linked libraries. I'm currenlty trying out some experiments with other installer creaters (NSIS, PyInstaller, etc).

My apologies,
Aspidites

PS- It only took this long to reply because I've been busy with work and studying. Sorry about that.
aspidites

Postby aspidites » 18 Apr 2010, 20:31

Well, I'm currently uploading version 0.0.9 for windows and linux (source available for mac until we have a way to build binary packages). I've testing this version on my Windows XP virtual machine as well as my Windows 7 virtual machine, so I'm confident I've gotten it right this time. I'm holding off on making an official announcement on the blog until it has been tested and confirmed to work on other machines.
aspidites