Debating the need for new FOSS game engines (a Duion special)

Re: Debating the need for new FOSS game engines (a Duion spe

Postby charlie » 29 Jun 2017, 11:15

Duion {l Wrote}:The state the open source game design commuinity (if it even exists) is in, is the state of denial and as long as that goes on, nothing significant will ever be achieved.

Nothing significant will ever be achieved in your opinion.

Freeciv. Nothing acheived. Flightgear. Nothing achieved. SuperTuxKart. Nothing achieved. OpenTTD. Nothing achieved. Do I need to list 30 or so other high profile projects?

Acheivement is relative term and until you recognise that people have different goals and standards to your own (which seem to be AAA standard games) then you'll continue coming off as abrasive.

Duion {l Wrote}:I regularly browse through the lists of open souce game projects and the downward trend is very clear, the number of active projects and the technoligical quality of those projects is rather going down, than up. If you can extrapolate this trend, you can foresee, that it will soon be totally gone and you will live in a world where the only games you can buy are in the Apple or Windows store and all will spy on you, annoy you with advertising, rip you off and destroy all fun with pay2win.

Anecdotal bullshit. Total absence of real analysis. Have you got any statistics to back this up? No. Just what you see through your own limited prism into the world. You don't even recognise most major projects or their contributions, so why would you be able to track anything ongoing.

I mean in your opinion something like Citybound doesn't matter. Or innovation like Freeciv-web. You just don't care about what doesn't fit your preconceived notion that the open source community sucks. Why you even interact with this community is somewhat beyond me.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Duion » 29 Jun 2017, 13:49

For example you want to play an open source 3D FPS you only have those choices:
https://alternativeto.net/software/saue ... opensource
If you subtract the pseudo open source Unreal and the discontinued projects (and Uebergame) you end up with 3 active 3D FPS games: Xonotic, red eclipse and Unvanquished.
If you analyse them further, all of them got initially released at least 6+ years ago.

Xonotic had a release a few month ago and the release before was about 2 years ago.
Red Eclipse also had an update recently, but there is no older downloads avaiable, I guess it had no releases for 2-3 years before that.
Unvanquished last release is over 1 year ago and the game is still like in alpha stage.

All games do not look significantly different than when they were first released and it is already very liberal to call them active when they get a maintenance update every 1-3 years.

So you have no new projects for at least 6 years now in the open source world and technically they are outdated by at least double that time, maybe 12 years.
And next year you will still have 0 new projects and they will be outdated by one more year and overnext year by one more etc.
Before you start to argue that there are other games, the other 3D games are probably all of similar age or even much older and much less active.
Duion

Postby charlie » 29 Jun 2017, 16:45

I mean, citing alternativeto, seriously? It is not a particularly exhaustive directory for anything. Doesn't include Cube 2 or Tesseract (or it's actively developed fork), for example. It doesn't even contain your own game (which you curiously omit).

Also FPS is the most over populated of commercial game genres with 100s of free non-open-source titles in a saturated market.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Duion » 29 Jun 2017, 17:43

@charlie
Alternativeto is an excellent site it lists almost any game there is and if not you can add it there.
Cube2 is the engine, not a game.
Tesseract is more of a tech demo, the first and only release features one small room map, withe one player model and two weapons and has not had a release for over 3 years now.

And the genre is not even close to overpopulated, its by far not 100s of games, the number is more close to the open source shooters, like 3-10, it depends if you want to count source engine mods as separate games.
Even the freeware market is dying out. (of course I did not count pay2win games as they are even more expensive than regular titles).

You moderate a game dev forum, but cannot even distinguish a game engine from a game, over 3 years no releases is "actively developed" for you and from the statements you make it looks like you never actually looked at the market or lists of projects or tested the games yourself.
Duion

Postby charlie » 29 Jun 2017, 22:11

Duion {l Wrote}:@charlie
Alternativeto is an excellent site it lists almost any game there is and if not you can add it there.
Cube2 is the engine, not a game.
Tesseract is more of a tech demo, the first and only release features one small room map, withe one player model and two weapons and has not had a release for over 3 years now.

And the genre is not even close to overpopulated, its by far not 100s of games, the number is more close to the open source shooters, like 3-10, it depends if you want to count source engine mods as separate games.
Even the freeware market is dying out. (of course I did not count pay2win games as they are even more expensive than regular titles).

You moderate a game dev forum, but cannot even distinguish a game engine from a game, over 3 years no releases is "actively developed" for you and from the statements you make it looks like you never actually looked at the market or lists of projects or tested the games yourself.

You are such a troll. If I weren't 1 side of the discussion, I'd ban you for this.

I actually linked the actively developed fork of Tesseract and you don't even bother to look at the link. Nevermind. I'm done interacting with you to be honest.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 30 Jun 2017, 00:09

And I am closing this now as it has really run its course. I think Duion made his point (which has some merit) and we can agree to disagree on it.

*Nothing to see here, move along folks*
Julius
Community Moderator