HTML games on Ubuntu Touch

HTML games on Ubuntu Touch

Postby Julius » 29 Jul 2015, 11:32

Interesting quick tutorial on how to put an offline version of your HTML5 game onto the nice new Ubuntu mobile phone system:

http://popey.com/blog/2015/07/28/easily ... ntu-phone/
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: HTML games on Ubuntu Touch

Postby c_xong » 29 Jul 2015, 12:24

On that note, I recently ported one of my HTML5 jam games to the Firefox marketplace, which in addition to having mobile platforms (Firefox OS), also means it's available for PCs, although Firefox is required.

The level of effort needed is similar: mainly writing a manifest JSON, although I had to take a short content-rating quiz also. I imagine it would be a similar amount of effort for other platforms like the chrome store (requires $5 registration).

HTML5 is a pretty good games platform; I'm seriously considering using it for most of my new projects since it's so portable.
c_xong

Re: HTML games on Ubuntu Touch

Postby Akien » 29 Jul 2015, 15:24

c_xong {l Wrote}:On that note, I recently ported one of my HTML5 jam games to the Firefox marketplace, which in addition to having mobile platforms (Firefox OS), also means it's available for PCs, although Firefox is required.

I just played your game again, it's really cool. I agree that HTML5 is very nice for this kind of games, I'd love to see Firefox OS take off and make HTML5 cross-platform games the norm for mobile applications. I like to have the possibility to play mobile games in my browser on my desktop like I just did :)

Regarding the game, on Firefox it opens by default in a relatively big windows (1024x768, which is quite good IMO since my desktop resolution is 1920x1080), but the game itself only takes a third of the window (640x480). Do you think you could handle scaling so that the game can be played in higher resolution on desktop?
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien