git to update games

git to update games

Postby titi » 27 Jan 2015, 02:30

Hi, i wonder if there is already any tool out there that does the following or something similar.

While developing a game you always face the need to deliver updates. MegaGlest does always deliver full Installers which need to update everything.
Also Git is made for non binary content its still a pretty good tool to handle updates. As this is freely available on github I started thinking a bout a new way to deliver the game.

What I want is a tool that act like a launcher ( maybe just a script ) with git inside. On installation it just clones the git repository holding the full game (binary) installation before launching the game. Now everytime you start the game the included git checks for updates. if needed they are downloaded ( pulled ) and you can launch the game.
Is there already an open source cross platform tool out there which does this or a project which is working on this ?
titi

Re: git to update games

Postby c_xong » 27 Jan 2015, 04:53

You can easily set up a command that queries a web server during game startup to see if it's the latest version. Something that begins with "curl mygame.org/version.txt | grep VERSION".

As for updating, how do you think you can do this without involving package managers or installers? For regular programs it will necessarily be platform and distro dependent. The only way you could have a silent auto-updater like Chrome is to install in userspace. Its updater is available here: https://code.google.com/p/omaha/

So git is kind of pointless, for two reasons: 1. it is trivial to check for versions and download files 2. your real problem is how to perform the update and install itself.
c_xong

Re: git to update games

Postby titi » 28 Jan 2015, 00:23

Its all a bit different than you say:
I don't want to update anything that was installed with a package system and this is meant for crossplatform too ( not linux only ). And I only want to update things in userspace a bit like steam does.
The installation problem is not there because if the installation is an exact match of what I have in git, the pull itself is downloading the update and installation in one step.
Problems I see: I need a commandline or lib based git ) which ideally already comes with an gui. Maybe a git library.

But I will look at the google updater you mentioned, maybe thats something which works too.

EDIT: all I see now is that this ohama stuff from google is windows only, is this correct ?
titi