How to get started making a simple game?

How to get started making a simple game?

Postby FilipeAraujo » 29 Nov 2013, 21:34

Hello

I am new here, so sorry if im not writing in the right place or if i'm making anything wrong.

I want to make a simple 2D game,, where i have a character, 15 pictures and i go around and destroy the pictures with my character. I'ts something really simple imo, its just to make a fun game with my family for christmas, but i have no idea where to start or which program to use.

I have some experience with programing, but more in the communication area and microcotrollers, not really in the gamming section. I would really like if some1 could give me some pointers in how to do this if possible.

Sorry for the bad english, and sorry if this not the right place to post this thread, as i said, im new here :P

Thanks in advance for all the help you can give me

FilipeAraujo
Last edited by qubodup on 30 Nov 2013, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed title
FilipeAraujo

Re: How to get started making a simple game?

Postby qubodup » 30 Nov 2013, 05:07

I changed your subject to be descriptive and moved to programming.

I'd just try random game making tutorials and see what works for you.

Here's one simple one I wrote:
http://www.moddb.com/members/qubodup/tu ... your-games

If you have requirements that the game runs in the browser or on a smartphone or must be 3d then we might be able to give useful suggestions on what to use.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 30 Nov 2013, 11:06

Julius
Community Moderator

Postby FilipeAraujo » 30 Nov 2013, 13:46

Thanks a lot!!

i tried your tuturial and i managed to also put more images in the LOVE console.

The only thing i can't do now is to use the moving character from your tuturial to destroy the images i palced. Like a normal game where the character destroys the bad guys, i want this character to destroy the pictures. Do you know any way i can do this?

thanks again for you help

FilipeAraujo

qubodup {l Wrote}:I changed your subject to be descriptive and moved to programming.

I'd just try random game making tutorials and see what works for you.

Here's one simple one I wrote:
http://www.moddb.com/members/qubodup/tu ... your-games

If you have requirements that the game runs in the browser or on a smartphone or must be 3d then we might be able to give useful suggestions on what to use.
FilipeAraujo

Postby riidom » 30 Nov 2013, 17:32

I would recommend Löve2D.
http://love2d.org/forums/search.php?sea ... ive_topics
see the forums, and check the wiki, e.g.
http://www.love2d.org/wiki/Getting_Started
Wish you a lot of fun :)
riidom

Postby qubodup » 01 Dec 2013, 22:13

FilipeAraujo {l Wrote}:The only thing i can't do now is to use the moving character from your tuturial to destroy the images i palced. Like a normal game where the character destroys the bad guys, i want this character to destroy the pictures. Do you know any way i can do this?

If you need something like bullets, add event listeners that will create such objects. I'd recommend an array to contain all the bullets. you will need to run a loop over that array to move them each update() step in the direction in which they were heading (use dt).

Destroy (delete) the individual bullet array items when they leave the screen entirely (leave padding for image size). Then check whether the space occupied by the bullet image shares the space occupied by one of the targets' images. If yes, stop drawing (destroy/delete?) both.

If you don't need bullets and simply destroy images by touching them with your character, just check whether the space occupied by your character image is colliding with the space occupied by the targets' images and destroy/delete the target image if yes.

I recommend creating an array that for each target contains an array that contains x position, y position and image.

As soon as you know what you want your code to do I recommend using google search with terms like "delete lua array item" or "lua array for loop".
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby FilipeAraujo » 07 Dec 2013, 18:56

qubodup {l Wrote}:
If you don't need bullets and simply destroy images by touching them with your character, just check whether the space occupied by your character image is colliding with the space occupied by the targets' images and destroy/delete the target image if yes..

Yes, that is exactly what i want to do, but i cant find anything online about it. im placing my pictures on the screen like this:

function love.draw(dt)

love.graphics.draw(img.test, 20, 30)
love.graphics.draw(img.test2, 200, 30)
love.graphics.draw(img.monster, units[1].pos[1], units[1].pos[2])

end

i can move the last one, but how do i check if its position coincide with any othe others?

thanks for all ur help

FilipeAraujo
FilipeAraujo

Postby qubodup » 07 Dec 2013, 19:30

Ask yourself: When should img.test be drawn? The answer is: as long as the player has not collided with it. So create a new variable, for example imgCollided.test = false by default and put the code that draws the image inside an if-block, which only executes, as long as imgCollided.test is false.

Then ask yourself: when does imgCollided.test become true? And then implement that inside love.update(dt).

To check whether two images overlap, you need the x/y position and width/height of both.

Does this help?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Crichton333 » 06 May 2014, 13:53

Maybe the simplest starting point would be Construct 2 or Stencyl. For the game you described you could make that in 1 hour.
"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: 2048 Numbers Mania -- Android: 2048 Numbers Mania
Crichton333

Postby grrk-bzzt » 06 May 2014, 17:31

Crichton333 {l Wrote}:Maybe the simplest starting point would be Construct 2 or Stencyl. For the game you described you could make that in 1 hour.

Theses tools are both proprietary, this is a bad idea to give such an "advice" on a forum dedicated to FLOSS video games.
grrk-bzzt

Postby blue.bear » 29 May 2014, 11:01

Thanks for sharing such useful tutorials :) it will help me a lot.
blue.bear