How to create a virtual world and manage it over a LAN?

How to create a virtual world and manage it over a LAN?

Postby gdebojyoti » 01 Nov 2012, 20:39

Will someone please tell me how "virtual worlds" (like Second Life and GoJiyo) are created?

I would like to create a (much) shorter version for mine. I would host it in my computer and access it via LAN. May be a total of 4-5 users. I have access to quite a few machines.

I would like to start with a single room, and low-poly characters. Then I'll gradually upgrade.

I have some experience in 3D modelling and animation. But I have no idea how to make the characters (controlled by different users) interact.

I'll probably have to use an engine/ platform. I heard of OpenSim (www.opensimulator.org), but have zero experience with it. Can I use that for this project? Is it appropriate?
gdebojyoti

Re: How to create a virtual world and manage it over a LAN?

Postby Evropi » 01 Dec 2012, 23:37

I wonder why OpenSimulator is so much more well-known than Open Wonderland (formerly Project Wonderland, was a Sun Microsystems project)!

Open Wonderland is much more powerful than OpenSimulator, and it's made from the ground up for more practical purposes like business and education.

You can drag-and-drop things in directly for Open Wonderland and it's really easy to set up your custom rooms that cover all of your needs. The best part of Open Wonderland is that it can access the enormous 3D Warehouse of Trimble SketchUp (formerly Google SketchUp).

You should watch the videos on the home page, which merely scratch its capabilities. I should note that despite being so powerful, it is extremely easy to use.

If you're not excited enough, I think you should listen to this (rather old) interview with the creator of Open Wonderland. You don't need to write your own... spare your 4-5 people the waiting and just make a room in Open Wonderland!
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby DrAltaica » 21 Dec 2012, 01:06

Evropi {l Wrote}:I wonder why OpenSimulator is so much more well-known than Open Wonderland (formerly Project Wonderland, was a Sun Microsystems project)!

I believe it has to do with "Love SecondLife but hate LindenLabs? Try OpenSim!" marketing campaign.

The other thing that make OpenSim better known than Wunderland. the popularity of the projects using them.
OpenSim has the Grid List that lists OpenSimulator-based virtual worlds.

What Does OpenWunderLand have?
Where can I find a Wonderland world to try?
Thanks to a donation from St. Paul College, the Open Wonderland Foundation runs two community servers. The OWL Events server hosts developer meetings every Wednesday, in addition to other periodic events. Upcoming events are published on the OWL Facebook Events page. For exploring on your own, please visit the OWL Demonstration World. Volunteers are available to provide guided tours of this space. If you would like to schedule a guided tour, please contact us.

Open Wonderland Foundation operated Meeting Server and Demo Server are the only public Wonderland-based virtual worlds.
DrAltaica

Postby Evropi » 22 Dec 2012, 12:35

I guess, but that's MAINLY because Open Wonderland primarily targets business networks. Local ones. That's why they have a 'demo server', as it's meant for demonstrations. Features-wise, Open Wonderland is more impressive though, especially in regards to collaborative working (e.g. you can display presentations from files in it and talk over them).
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi