What is your favorite/ least favorite Programming language?

Re: What is your favorite/ least favorite Programming langua

Postby oberhamsi » 23 May 2013, 21:18

I enjoy working with JavaScript because I (nearly) know everything about it.

I accept working with Java because it's fast and has plenty of production ready libraries and ships with a solid standardlibrary. I used to write a lot of Python but nowadays I find it weird (__init__.py? Akward introspection). I had to learn some Bash but I find it very hard to parse and it has so many syntax rules.
oberhamsi

Postby mk12345 » 05 Nov 2013, 11:45

my favourite language are Java and C.
mk12345

Postby mk12345 » 06 Nov 2013, 12:10

i am learning java but i did programming in c language and c++ language.
mk12345

Postby gouessej » 02 Apr 2014, 12:41

My favorite language is Java but I used C and C++ a lot during several years. It's a bit a matter of taste, something subjective. For example, I would be annoyed if I was forced to speak into English everywhere. The problem is similar in computer programming, you can feel more comfortable with the grammar of a language in certain cases. Some things are difficult to say in my mother tongue whereas they are very simple to say in English. It's the same in computer programming again, some algorithms are easier to implement with some kind of programming language. Sometimes, a simple presentation language (HTML for example) is enough. I disagree with several organizations that consider we should use only their programming languages. A Mozilla employee suggested me to port my game to Javascript with Emscripten when I wanted to make it work under Firefox OS. In my humble opinion, an "open" platform shouldn't prevent you from using plugins based on free softwares.

I like Java because it has several free implementations, I mainly use OpenJDK + Icedtea + Icedtea-web. (Sun Microsystems) Java source code has been released under :gpl: v2 with classpath exception in 2006. There is GNU Classpath too.

I prefer using a garbage collector most of the time (but I still have to manage the memory used by direct NIO buffers manually as they aren't allocated on the Java heap) rather than calling free() or delete(). It doesn't mean that I consider I don't have to take care of the memory footprint. I appreciate Java, not just the language, Java the runtime, its numerous garbage collectors which I can "tune" to fit into my needs.

I'm satisfied by the performance of OpenJDK JVM. "Java = slow" is mostly a myth except if you still use Microsoft J++ :D Java is used in HPC, it has been used in games since 1995 often with other languages, sometimes only for parsing. Wakfu (Ankama Games) is packaged with a JVM so that the end user doesn't see it uses Java and OpenGL.

I'm satisfied by Java ecosystem, there are tons of third party libraries (the JDK contains tons of standard libraries too) and nice IDEs (Eclipse, Netbeans) but there is a lack of WYSIWYG editors to create applications for the Java platform.

I'm not very satisfied by the Java Plugin. Applets have never been very stable. Java Webstart has become almost unusable since latest security "improvements" whereas it was very nice to deploy applications requiring very frequent updates targeting all major operating systems. It isn't less safe than Flash and HTML5 in which you can still find major security flaws. I use GNU Flash of course (what else? :) ). It is still difficult to use exactly the same code on desktop and mobile environments. Google preferred creating its own VM instead of using OpenJDK, it doesn't help...

This is the language I use the most. I use XML (mainly for Java based build tools like Maven and Ant), HTML, CSS, PHP (for the Web), sometimes Python (for Blender scripts), C (for the "native" part of JOGL).
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
gouessej

Postby flavio » 02 Apr 2014, 12:59

My favorite language is Python. I write Python code for five years. I love its principles. :)
flavio

Postby charlie » 02 Apr 2014, 15:34

oberhamsi {l Wrote}:I enjoy working with JavaScript because I (nearly) know everything about it.

I know quite a lot about JavaScript but I hate it.

Variable scoping is bonkers. Per function just means it is easy to confuse with almost every other language that goes with per block.

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
var a = "abc";
function foo() {
    console.log("a is: "+a);
    if (true) {
        var a = "bleh";
    }
}
foo(); // prints 'a is: undefined'

Everything is so arbitrary. Using jQuery, it is often magic but then silently fails. Finding bugs can be like finding needles in a haystack as often you have no idea where to look.

Weak typing may sound like a great idea but it is terrible in practice. If you are daft enough to use a variable to hold different types, it can lead to obscure errors (function X not found on Y etc) which may be hard to debug when a strongly typed language just says "no, you can't store a String on your int variable.

I could list more, but I have life to attend to.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Sauer2 » 07 Apr 2014, 12:22

@charlie: Out of curiousity, how much pain prevents "use strict" in debugging?
Sauer2

Postby gouessej » 07 Apr 2014, 22:58

Sauer2 {l Wrote}:how much pain prevents "use strict" in debugging?

There is a declared type, you know what to expect from a variable even though the declared type can be different of the real type. When you use a loosely typed language, it's like having no declared type and a "mutable" real type, the same variable can be used to store objects of completely different types.

Moreover, virtual machines are harder to optimize for languages with dynamic typing.
Julien Gouesse | Personal blog | Website
gouessej

Postby webshinra » 19 Apr 2014, 11:20

Modern C++(11/14) is a strange thing.

It's more a combination of 2 language than one.

The programming part, an «transversal level» (really low or pretty height level) OO language.
And the meta-programming part, a purely functional language based on type.

when I was young, I used to program in OCaml, a functional language that have the interesting propriety of being strongly typed and infering all variable's types. the fun thing is that «if it's is dumb it does not compile».

Why do i said that? cause in fact, using C++, we can use template meta-programming to add more constraint at compile time, and get the compiler to protect us from a lot of logic mistake, without taking away the most interesting feature for optimisation : hight precision control of each comportment.

It have been five years since i began to learn C++ seriously, and I still learn about it every day, and I'm really happy about it. You could have conclude that C++ is, a this time, my favourite programming language.

I'm a little ashamed of it, but at first I began programming with one of the most awful language ever used : PHP. weak type being one of the worst idea ever.
( I won't judge language I have not truly used by myself, so visual basic or javascript does not enter in competition :p )
webshinra

Postby Crichton333 » 24 Apr 2014, 00:54

Favorite C#, its crazy how many things you can do with it. Least favorite Python, nothing wrong with it but I just dont like it :)
"Smoke me a kipper i'll be back for breakfast." -- iOS: 2048 Numbers Mania -- Android: 2048 Numbers Mania
Crichton333

Postby kettunen » 07 May 2014, 22:21

So, I'm not extremely experienced. I've used ActionScript 3.0, javascript, and Python for my own stuff, and C, C++, assembly, and Python in school.

My favorite is JavaScript. It's simple and intuitive. It's very high-level, and I like that, because there's certain details I prefer not to have to worry about when all I want is to move objects around in a 2d or 3d context, save info, and make menus. I really like how the more advanced features are designed to look like the basic features. For example, instead of learning a new syntax for classes, you make objects that used function syntax, and establish inheritance by assigning to a property (prototype). I also like how you deal with "private" and "public" variables by making local vars and setting properties. You can do a lot of things with the same syntax rules, which I feel makes the language feel more fluid. When writing class files in other languages, I feel like I've been handed a blank sheet of paper by someone saying "please fill out this form". I feel like javascript is much closer to a natural language, which makes it more fun to write in. I also like how it deals with types. I love that a var can be whatever type it wants to be and change its mind at any time. I love how you can put multiple types in an array, so that I can make a list of dialogue lines to go through, with a function in the middle of the array giving you 3 potions. And speaking of which, I love that functions can be treated as vars. It makes them so much easier to work with. And I love anonymous functions.

C++ is kind of an awkward mix between high level and low level, I think; there are a lot of things it doesn't take care of for me that I wish it would...I hate segfaults...Also, it is very structured and has all these fences to keep me under control (where javascript makes me feel like I'm in this giant, beautiful valley and I can run around as I please). I've gotten used to C++ and understand the paradigm it is based on, but I still think it's my least favorite. I also don't really like assembly, because it takes away some layers of abstraction, and I prefer to be able to abstract freely :). For some reason, though, I kind of like C, because it has familiar syntax that allows me to more easily abstract while still avoiding the illusion that I'm working with a magical box rather than a machine.

I feel like ActionScript 3 is an awkward mix between strongly-typed, formal languages and javascript, but it's not too bad.

Python is my second favorite, because it is also very intuitive and it looks very clean (I think that counts for something!). Also, I like how easy classes are. I was talking to a recruiter at school, and he asked about my experience with Python, and I said I didn't know how to do classes, and then I was like, hey, actually, I think I do know how. I saw an example online the other day while I was learning about something else, and I think I have it down. I took a Bioinformatics course where we used a lot of Python, and I really like python's tools for working with numbers and reformatting text.
kettunen

Postby aspidites » 08 May 2014, 07:53

Favorite (at the moment): Haskell
Least Favorite: Java

There's just something about static types done right(tm).
aspidites

Postby danbeck » 29 Oct 2014, 18:02

Favorite languages: "Java" (for serverside) and "Javascript" (with HTML/Canvas...) for the UI
Less favorite programming language: "Visual Basic" and "Lisp".
danbeck

Postby eugeneloza » 30 Oct 2014, 04:04

I mostly write programs in Lazarus/Delphi/Pascal. But it is definitely not the best programming language.
Really loved assembler until they closed all the direct processor/memory access.
I like C syntax. I tried QT but it was horrible :) Almost every operator and function is a object (I like objects but that was too much!)... And those awful graphics glitches. And could not find any other good cross-platform object C editor with simple forms creation from widgets.
eugeneloza

Postby Vandar » 17 Feb 2015, 16:44

Java. The only real comparison to Java which I have are C and C++, and I find that I make far less mistakes in Java, and that it's easier and quicker to track down bugs in Java code.

Least favorite? Hard to say. I guess something in the field of functional programming languages, because my head isn't made for this paradigm.
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
Vandar

Postby O01eg » 17 Feb 2015, 20:24

Rust. I recently started to use it and it looks great.

Least favorite is vbscript.
Public FreeOrion multiplayer server: https://freeorion-test.dedyn.io/
Slow paced multiplayer server (registration required!): https://freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... 705#p95705
Donates for FreeOrion multiplayer improvements: BTC:bc1q04qnmql47zkha6p4edl86hm0wgk90dmsfnl3vl
O01eg

Postby juliar » 14 Dec 2015, 16:18

My favorite for web development has to be php. Overall JAVA is my tool of choice. Least favorite is Visual Basic without any shadow of a doubt.
juliar

Postby Maisonjnr » 23 Jun 2017, 14:44

My favorite is Python and least favorite is C
Maisonjnr

Postby MTres19 » 01 Aug 2017, 01:13

I find PHP to be great even for non-web stuff. I know people complain about its syntax and parameter order quirks, but I've found that it gets out of your way and allows you to get things done. I wouldn't probably choose it for a big project though, because I'd likely want lower-level features: it's clear that PHP's features are mostly web-oriented. I found Python to be rather odd, in my single experience with it. Patronizing things like not allowing variable assignment in if statements, but then a horrible "gotcha" moment with the "everything is a pointer except for this and this and this" concept. At the time, the latter attribute of Python seemed like something purely for spite, though a deadline was approaching and I didn't have much patience.

I started programming on an Arduino, and C(++) was what taught me important things like the fact that there is actually no difference between the letter "b" and the number 98 in an 8-bit binary representation. C++ seems a little daunting to me, so I've only dabbled in it a bit.
MTres19

Postby Lyberta » 02 Aug 2017, 05:11

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby LiamM32 » 08 Aug 2017, 04:21

Why hasn't anyone mentioned D yet? A few people here have said C is their favourite, and some have mentioned the uglyness of C++. But anything written in C will work in D as I understand, and it's an attempt to achieve the functionallity of C++ without the problems.
LiamM32

Postby Lyberta » 08 Aug 2017, 07:25

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 09:49, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby GamerDanD » 25 Aug 2017, 07:15

c++ easy to learn and really powerful, you can create software and games as well. You can learn it at home.
GamerDanD

Postby Andrettin » 06 Sep 2017, 17:32

Favorite: C++
Least Favorite: Python, maybe?
Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator

Postby imaZighen » 13 Oct 2017, 18:48

C for life
the least emmm...
c++, java, microsoft bullshit, and the rest of garbage languages.
ⵉⵎⴰⵣⵉⵖⴻⵏ / imaZighen
imaZighen