What is your favorite/ least favorite Programming language?

What is your favorite/ least favorite Programming language?

Postby Jastiv » 06 Sep 2012, 06:10

My favorite programming language is C, followed by Java as a close second. I like C because it is easy to learn and you can do lots of stuff with code already written in C.
I like Java because it runs on Linux, Windows and Mac, but you don't have to worry about trying to make it cross platform since the Java Virtual Machine takes care of that.

My least favorite language is Lua, because it causes programs to have a dependency hunt so you can never get it to work.
I also dislike python because it changes too fast so it leaves a lot of bit rot in its wake.
Jastiv

Re: What is your favorite/ least favorite Programming langua

Postby Sauer2 » 06 Sep 2012, 23:56

OK, but in reality all programming languages suck in one or another way. Some more, some less.

About Lua: Forget about the standalone interpreters, they are more like technical demos. Lua was made to be embedded into other programs and does a pretty decent job here.

About Python: It's not that bad, there are basically Python 2 and 3 and many of the libs are now ported to Python 3.

About Java: The VM is cool for running JRuby and JPython, but now it's a massive security hole and the language is similar to C# - hard to touch without a good IDE.
Also Note that many Java programms use OS-dependent libraries, so cross platform is more a figure of speech in some cases.
Sauer2

Postby leilei » 08 Sep 2012, 21:28

Most: C
Least: C#
leilei

Postby Jastiv » 09 Sep 2012, 03:50

I don't really like C# because its a proprietary language, and microsoft only as well.
I didn't mention it, because I figured on free gamer no one would really like it or think it appropriate for free (as in freedom) games.
Jastiv

Postby charlie » 09 Sep 2012, 04:58

It is incorrect to say C# is "microsoft only" given the Mono project and associated software stack.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby DangerOnTheRanger » 09 Sep 2012, 05:19

Favorite: Python.

Least favorite: Java.
DangerOnTheRanger

Postby Evropi » 19 Sep 2012, 13:45

Favourite: Ruby all the way baby. You can check it out in the excellent online tutorial by Code School, Try Ruby! I evangelise Ruby wherever I am on the web.

Least favourite: C++; it's a seriously unnecessary extension to C, and it's how not to do object orientation right. The syntax is bloody awful, and I especially dislike its minor incompatibilities with C, which is a great language. It's a shame that C++ is the de facto standard programming language of the game industry, and in turn, open source game libraries too.
Last edited by Evropi on 14 Jan 2013, 01:30, edited 2 times in total.
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby dusted » 20 Sep 2012, 08:47

My favourite programming language is C, it's sometimes a lot of work, but I enjoy it's raw feel.

My least favourite programming language must be Java and C#, I think they tend to go all "CS" on me, and takes me away from working the computer into a way more academic domain where I do not enjoy spending more time than needed.
dusted

Postby Evropi » 21 Sep 2012, 00:58

charlie {l Wrote}:It is incorrect to say C# is "microsoft only" given the Mono project and associated software stack.

It's nice that you're a moderator and all, but that doesn't mean you should go off-topic whenever you feel like it...

Edit by Tranberry:
I think fighting FUD is always on topic, especially when it is so close to the topic of said thread.
Evropi

Postby Arthur » 21 Sep 2012, 02:05

Evropi {l Wrote}:It's nice that you're a moderator and all, but that doesn't mean you should go off-topic whenever you feel like it...

And pointing that out isn't off-topic at all?

Ooops, vicious cycle... ;)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Tuxide » 01 Jan 2013, 05:22

Favorite language: Java. Not because of the JVM though. I like the tools and its cross-compilers, especially GWT.

Least favorite: Python because of its fanboys. They're the kind who think lexical syntax is more important than how their code actually runs. I also don't like its type system; also I don't like PHP for the same reason.
Crossfire and Wesnoth played a game of chess. It started out as an open game.
Tuxide

Postby farcodev » 13 Jan 2013, 21:35

Favorite: Object Pascal

Less Favorite: C++/C#/Java
farcodev

Postby theweirdn8 » 16 Jan 2013, 02:08

C/C++ ftw!
theweirdn8

Postby Buch » 16 Jan 2013, 17:51

I love C++! And I hate Visual Basic and all .NET stuff...
Buch

Postby Carver413 » 17 Jan 2013, 16:21

Love Pascal hate C++
Carver413

Postby Evropi » 18 Jan 2013, 23:47

Carver413 {l Wrote}:Love Pascal hate C++

Is that ISO Pascal or Object Pascal (also known as Delphi or FreePascal/Lazarus)?

All due respect, but, aside from PascalStrings and compiling down to bytecode, Pascal offers no benefits whatsoever today. It also lacks lots of libraries. It has all the problems of Lisp basically, but without any cool innovations like everything being nested (the nested statements of Lisp certainly teach some concepts well). Just putting it out there. Still better than Shit++ though, which is also my least favourite. :)

PS: did you come here from Hedgewars? Lol. Apart from FreePascal and DoomRL, it's the only open source project I know of that is primarily written in Pascal, haha.
Evropi

Postby theweirdn8 » 28 Jan 2013, 15:22

Woah, Pascal...
theweirdn8

Postby Flipflop » 28 Jan 2013, 15:31

Love Java in all Aspects (as Business Language to "earn" some Money ^^ and as Game-Enabler in my sparetime) . If you know what you are doing it is pretty fast. Trust me. :)

Dont like Visual Basic
Flipflop

Postby riidom » 28 Jan 2013, 15:58

Evropi {l Wrote}: Apart from FreePascal and DoomRL, it's the only open source project I know of that is primarily written in Pascal, haha.

There is http://castle-engine.sourceforge.net/news.php , but dont ask me for details, I just like to read their news :)
riidom

Postby Carver413 » 11 Feb 2013, 05:08

Evropi {l Wrote}:
Carver413 {l Wrote}:Love Pascal hate C++

Is that ISO Pascal or Object Pascal (also known as Delphi or FreePascal/Lazarus)?

All due respect, but, aside from PascalStrings and compiling down to bytecode, Pascal offers no benefits whatsoever today. It also lacks lots of libraries. It has all the problems of Lisp basically, but without any cool innovations like everything being nested (the nested statements of Lisp certainly teach some concepts well). Just putting it out there. Still better than Shit++ though, which is also my least favourite. :)

PS: did you come here from Hedgewars? Lol. Apart from FreePascal and DoomRL, it's the only open source project I know of that is primarily written in Pascal, haha.

Thats Free pascal and I don't know what is lacking in it. there is a lot of opensource stuff out there if you dig around. opengl is alittle behind these days but I'm working on some more currert stuff. I haven't found anything I like better at the moment so guess I'll just stick with this.
Carver413

Postby farcodev » 13 Feb 2013, 03:27

FAR Colony is made in Object Pascal.
Don't you confond the old Pascal language with its more modern derivative Object Pascal that you find in Delphi and Freepascal/Lazarus Evropi?
farcodev

Postby Peter » 03 Mar 2013, 11:24

My favourite is C++ because it is not owned by a single company, and there exist many good implementations, which I think is very important when making free, open source, games. I also like C++ because it is very powerful and feels more like a real language, the opposite of living in a sandbox.

Least favourite languages are proprietary languages.
Peter

Postby Anemotion » 13 May 2013, 22:23

Well, I just love C#, Python. I love the way the program flow works. I love the simplicity too. Currently studying C# after which It's gonna be Python. My dream is to be a game dev with 3D modeling and coding. Maybe even creating my very own 3D suit one day similar to Blender ;)
Anemotion

Postby rubberduck » 23 May 2013, 07:53

i love to program with bge/python, but at the moment i am learning it
https://notabug.org/rbduck/Nucleagacy
my puzzle / action game in godot 4
rubberduck

Postby qubodup » 23 May 2013, 17:49

My favorite ones are #1 python, #2 lua, and #3 javascript because I managed to get a few things done with them, rather than just glaring at them from a distance. :)
qubodup
Global Moderator