General suggestions for PyGame engine

General suggestions for PyGame engine

Postby Marcus » 11 Sep 2011, 16:33

Hi guys!

I'm currently in the progress of expanding my game programming and I'm therefore trying to do something similar to Mirage Source/Elysium Source/PlayerWorlds, which is an old VB6 32x32 game engine.
At the moment the "game" is nothing else but a small map with a bunch of tiles and 2 player sprites. I'm aiming at creating some singleplayer edition first, before even considering any ORPG parts.

So I was hoping if you could take a look at the engine as of now, to see if there are anything you think I should do differently etc.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mspython/

Thank you for your time.
Marcus

Re: General suggestions for PyGame engine

Postby ServalKatze » 12 Sep 2011, 18:48

Looks pretty good to me - although the player shouldn't be able to walk off the map. ^^

Do you want to keep it that simple or do you want to add scrolling or layers (i.e. players can walk behind trees/houses/huge walls)?
ServalKatze

Postby Marcus » 12 Sep 2011, 19:01

ServalKatze {l Wrote}:Looks pretty good to me - although the player shouldn't be able to walk off the map. ^^

Do you want to keep it that simple or do you want to add scrolling or layers (i.e. players can walk behind trees/houses/huge walls)?

Thanks for your response.

No, the player is not supposed to walk off the map. Basically each map will the size of the one you see now. I'm trying to figure out how to implement a teleport function within the TileEngine() class. But I still don't know how to do that without loading the Player() class within the TileEngine() class.

Layers will be something that I'll have to work on for sure.
Marcus

Postby ServalKatze » 13 Sep 2011, 12:08

I'd put the teleport function into CEngine...

TileEngine.isEvent() checks if player is on teleport tile -> return something like (destination, 'tele') to CEngine.handleEvents ..

Then you'd load the new map, draw it on the background and set the new player position.

.. But maybe I'm missing something - I didn't have much time to look into it. You may get more helpful input on the pygame mailinglist.. ;)
ServalKatze

Postby Marcus » 15 Sep 2011, 15:22

I've made a solution to the problem and it's working out quite good.
Feel free to test it out.

It's time to start on some kind of map maker I guess. Does anyone have any idea how to store the maps rather than a .INI file?
Marcus