May I recommend raylib

May I recommend raylib

Postby bzt » 06 Sep 2022, 11:08

Hi,

For those who are writing their own games (in contrast to using Unity and other bloated monstrocities), I'd like to recommend

https://www.raylib.com/

As it's website says:
raylib is a programming library to enjoy videogames programming; no fancy interface, no visual helpers*, no gui tools** or editors... just coding in pure spartan-programmers way. Are you ready to enjoy coding?
(Note: * - visual helpers do exists, you can find them here, and ** - the raygui addon, which is a Dear ImGui like immediate-mode GUI, has a visual interface builder like XCode and a visual style editor as well. They are just add-ons, not part of the core raylib.)

It has several good qualities:
1. first, Free and Open Source (licensed under the very permissive zlib license), the source repo is here
2. dependency free. Includes everything it needs. No compilation nightmares and library version hell, nice and easy.
3. provides a simple common interface over many many platforms (Linux, Win, Android, etc.) and backends (OpenGL 1.1, 3.3, 4.3 with different profiles, shaders and mobile oriented OpenGLES2 too)
4. has many neat features, like built-in support for animated 3D models, VR stereo output, OGG Vorbis decoding etc.
5. even though the lib is written in C, you're not tied to that language, raylib has bindings to an insane amount of languages (C#, Rust, Go, Java, Swift, Basic, Pascal, Lua, Javascript (Node.js), Python, etc. you name it)
6. it is a very mature and stable library

Happy coding!

Cheers,
bzt
bzt