Android app dev

Android app dev

Postby PeterX » 05 May 2021, 22:00

I would like to add a Android client tom my planned MMORPG.

In a different thread Julius wrote:
Julius {l Wrote}:Developing android apps is easy and the tools are free, but you still need a regular PC for it..

Things I already have:
- Regular PC: Check
- App dev tool: No

Can I write Android apps with g++? Or with the Linux version of VisualStudio?

Do I have to write the apps with multiple entry points?

Thanks if you can give any info
Peter
PeterX

Re: Android app dev

Postby Ntech » 06 May 2021, 00:41

So for Android app development, you can go one of three ways:

• Flutter
  • Kotlin
  • Java

Each has its own pros and cons. If you're new to Android app development in general, the easiest way for you to get started would be to use Android Studio. and Java, which is the baked beans of Android development, and powers most of the apps on Android. Flutter and Kotlin are emerging, promising technologies, but are not good if this is your first time around.

ALSO last but not least, you always have the (imo best) option of turning your website into a PWA. You'll be able to keep the stack you like (I'm assuming, since it's an MMO, HTML/CSS/JS/Node or Typescript backend) and access native functionalities and API's. This is very often overlooked, when oftentimes a PWA is all you really need, especially since to distribute a PWA you don't need to go through the App Store or Google Play, both of which are proprietary and charge fees.
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech

Postby Julius » 06 May 2021, 01:08

Yeah, pretty much that.

Some game engines also have Android as a export target. Easiest would be probably with something Java based like jMonkey3D, but I think the Android port of Godot also works fine as long as you develop with OpenGl ES in mind.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby farrer » 16 May 2021, 15:33

PeterX {l Wrote}:Can I write Android apps with g++? Or with the Linux version of VisualStudio?

Yes you can use C++ with a little Java glue to call the native (g++ compiled) code with JNI. (official manual: https://developer.android.com/studio/pr ... ative-code)

Here's an old implementation of mime that you can use as reference (not sure if still works, as I've didn't touch this code for somewhat 5 years).

Side note: I've used it for btsoccer (site and code) to run on both android and linux (it probably won't compile anymore, as there are some years since I last updated it and the version of Ogre it uses is for sure outdated).
farrer