Engine for SP w/ great graphics, good AI, realistic physics

Engine for SP w/ great graphics, good AI, realistic physics

Postby bluecode » 23 May 2011, 20:03

Hi everybody,
I'm new in this forum. I wanted to create a complete game (single player mode) with great graphics, good AI and realistic physics. Can anybody say me what game engine would be good for that?

Thanks in advance!

- bluecode

[q: edited title]
bluecode

Re: Engine for SP w/ great graphics, good AI, realistic physics

Postby qubodup » 23 May 2011, 21:52

Hello,

Do you know of the Blender Game Engine?

Cheers
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby bluecode » 24 May 2011, 15:11

Hi,
yes, the Blender Game Engine is a very good game engine but has no particle system so if you want to make explosions (or other thinks like hairs, grass,...) you have to create a particle system what takes a lot of time.
But thanks for your reply!

- bluecode
bluecode

Postby sireus » 24 May 2011, 20:24

bluecode {l Wrote}:yes, the Blender Game Engine is a very good game engine but has no particle system so if you want to make explosions (or other thinks like hairs, grass,...) you have to create a particle system what takes a lot of time.

First off, I hope you know that creating a game will inevitably take a long time. I can understand though why you don't want to reinvent the wheel. One of the first google results for "BGE particles" is this, which you might have read already.

Either way, I'm not sure if BGE is yet mature (and feature-rich) enough for a serious project (or if it's a good choice anyway). Maybe you could say what kind of game you're aiming for, I guess that would help a lot.
sireus

Postby bluecode » 25 May 2011, 10:49

Hi everybody,

thank you for send me this site!

Maybe you could say what kind of game you're aiming for, I guess that would help a lot.

I thought I create a FPS-Game (but with much humour not as serious as CoD or other games).

First off, I hope you know that creating a game will inevitably take a long time.

Yes I know, that will take a lot of time. I also can't do this without any help. So it would be cool if someone can help me to create the game! It also would be cool if you can write me what you want / not want in a FPS.

Thanks

- bluecode
bluecode

Postby qubodup » 25 May 2011, 11:37

check out captainkitteh's introduction post! It seems the fps has a cartoony look (not too serious). Perhaps you can help each other.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby bluecode » 25 May 2011, 16:02

Hi,
captainkitteh's game is a cool game but not the style how I want to make my game. But I will make a trailer for the game and post the link to the forum (but this will take some time).

Thanks

- bluecode
bluecode

Postby Julius » 25 May 2011, 18:36

For FPS games the most viable option is probably the the Cube2 engine (better graphics, easy mapping, but not so good story tools), or the recently open-sourced RTCW/W:ET engine (old graphics but proven system with all the tools, and an update on the render engine is being worked on...slowly and with setbacks but well).

Other than that... ahh one of the updated Quake2 engines (for example the one used in WarSow) could be probably a good option too. Graphics are quite nice, and performance and stability great, but I am not sure how well the single player parts of the Quake2 code survived all the upgrades (all multiplayer focused). Another of those might be the Overdose engine, but this is not open-sourced yet I think (but there the single player parts should work and have been updated).

Other than that... good old Quake1 (e.g. Darkplaces engine: Nexuiz/Xonotic) is still alive and kicking, but the single player tools are probably too dated by now to do a decent SP FPS without completely recoding them.

That said... don't make a SP FPS... it is one of the most artwork extensive game types (needing teams of hundreds of skilled artists in the commercial sector) with next to no replay value and even reuse of assets plausibility.
There is a good reason why there are basically no open-source SP FPS, and for mods they are very seldom, nearly all reuse stock art from the base game predominantly, and are also quite short.
So take this good advise and do something else, where there is actually a slight chance of succeeding.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby bluecode » 25 May 2011, 19:13

Hi,
thank you for send me a list of game engine

I think I will use the Cube 2 Engine for create the FPS.

That said... don't make a SP FPS... it is one of the most artwork extensive game types (needing teams of hundreds of skilled artists in the commercial sector) with next to no replay value and even reuse of assets plausibility.
There is a good reason why there are basically no open-source SP FPS, and for mods they are very seldom, nearly all reuse stock art from the base game predominantly, and are also quite short.
So take this good advise and do something else, where there is actually a slight chance of succeeding.

But there are so many MP FPS out there but no (or not many) Singe Player Games and I think if I can work with other people the game will be very good. Okay, I hasn't to be a game with ultra realistic graphic but something with a good story and a good AI.

- bluecode
bluecode

Postby Julius » 25 May 2011, 19:29

No good AI in Cube2 though, and if it was that easy to get some people to work with and create a SP FPS, don't you think there would be some promising projects already?
Seriously don't even try, you will just be disappointed... unless you are happy with making a small SP campaign for Cube2 using the standard graphics... that is perfectly feasible and has been done before.

Edit: How about contributing to the red eclipse project ( http://www.redeclipse.net/ ) It's quite actively developed, based on Cube2, the AI has been greatly updated and the team is actually working on a COOP sort of single player mode (kind of like Left4Dead). After contributing to that project for a while, it will be easy to make a mod for that game with your own idea etc (if by then you still have not given up on that pipe dream ;) ).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby bluecode » 25 May 2011, 19:57

No good AI in Cube2 though, and if it was that easy to get some people to work with and create a SP FPS, don't you think there would be some promising projects already?

Okay, then I will try to create the game in Blender (with GLSL). But I still try to create the game (we will see what come out :) )

Thanks.

- bluecode
bluecode

Postby bluecode » 26 May 2011, 20:01

Just a short question:
I want to make the game open source but can I use a proprietary game engine (because I wanted to use Unity) ?

-bluecode
bluecode

Postby Julius » 26 May 2011, 20:22

Obviously not... (quick delete that question before people will make fun of you :p ).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby qubodup » 27 May 2011, 00:26

The game would not be open source, the code of your game would be and the art if you will, but the game would consist of closed parts (Unity Engine) and not be of value to the open source community so to say.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby bluecode » 27 May 2011, 11:05

Hi,
Obviously not... (quick delete that question before people will make fun of you ).

:lol:

The game would not be open source, the code of your game would be and the art if you will, but the game would consist of closed parts (Unity Engine) and not be of value to the open source community so to say.

Okay, I didn't know that, every part has to be open source. Then I will go back to Blender.

- bluecode
bluecode

Postby Julius » 27 May 2011, 14:45

Really, have a look at Red Eclipse and think about contributing to that project. Their forums are actually part of this site.

Blender has no good AI or much of an FPS framework either (some exists but they are not very good and mature), and you will have to code the game from ground up in python (the logic bricks are quite limited and will be also likely replaced soon by a more flexible system under the Google summer of Code 2011).

Edit: I am not saying that Blender is a bad choice, far from it. But for a std FPS you can save a lot of time and problems by "modding" an already existing open-source FPS. Blender is more useful for things where no easy "template" exists yet.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby bluecode » 27 May 2011, 18:10

Hi,
I have seen Red Eclipse and I think it is a very good game but the game is not my style and it is a little bit too bloody ;) . I'm big not a fan of science fiction (or too much gore) I'm more a fan of the present.
I'll try create the game in Blender. I also will create a game trailer but this will take a while.

- bluecode

PS. Another question: How can I create a game site in the wiki?
bluecode

Postby qubodup » 28 May 2011, 22:18

This wiki? http://freegamedev.net/wiki

Use your forum login, search for a site that does not exist and chose "create it" or enter it into the URL and then edit it.

If you use code hosting sites like github.com or assembla.com you get wiki functionality too, so check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... facilities :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby bluecode » 29 May 2011, 08:40

Ok,
thanks!
bluecode

Postby rogerdv » 11 Aug 2011, 13:54

Excuse me for resurrecting this post so late, but maybe you should take a look at CrystalSpace/CEL. It is a complete game engine (includes some AI). I would advice using 2.0 branch, which is receiving some good changes.
rogerdv

Postby Julius » 12 Aug 2011, 11:27

IMHO... with the recent news I would wait for the Doom3 source release ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 12 Aug 2011, 12:40

Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby MyEmail » 18 Aug 2011, 21:26

The best engine is the one you code yourself specifically for your needs. That way it is fast, minimalistic yet sufficient, and you are familiar with all of its inner-workings.
MyEmail

Postby charlie » 18 Aug 2011, 22:16

MyEmail {l Wrote}:The best engine is the one you code yourself specifically for your needs. That way it is fast, minimalistic yet sufficient, and you are familiar with all of its inner-workings.

Sadly we don't all have infinite time or resources to create state of the art bespoke engines, so we don't re-invent the wheel and use best-of-breed open source components to do the job of 1000 programmers for us.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator