V - the programming language

V - the programming language

Postby Ntech » 27 Oct 2019, 20:18

What are your thoughts on V-lang (vlang.io)? I've always had a reverence for C/C++, but pointers have always irked me and I'd shun making a program in C because it was hard to perform string manipulation, get string indices, etc. However, V seems to fix all that -- and is as fast as C and can emit human readable C, as well as use C libraries.
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech

Re: V - the programming language

Postby dulsi » 27 Oct 2019, 21:54

It builds static binaries which I'm not fond of. I'm fairly happy with the features of C++ so I'm not that interested in it.
dulsi

Postby Wuzzy » 28 Oct 2019, 02:41

v1.0 planned in Dec 2019 already. That's very ambitious.
Documentation is not very good yet. Lots of code without context, and it's not always clear what they are going to say. You have to guess a lot.

But throwing away garbage collection sounds like a nice start. It's also using a very minimalist syntax, which is nice. Well, I keep this project in mind and look again in Dec 2019.
Wuzzy

Postby Ntech » 29 Oct 2019, 16:38

Nods, I like the fact that it doesn't have garbage collection. However, static binaries are part of the way they expect it to cross-compile easily from Linux to Mac or Windows, and vice versa -- I love that part. I've downloaded the testing version, it has bugs but all of the ones I've noticed have been spotted, and can't wait for the December release.
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech