C/C++ and Java Collaboration

C/C++ and Java Collaboration

Postby Ntech » 02 Aug 2019, 21:33

So I've been looking into sharpening up my C/C++ and Java skills. I'm experienced in Python, and am looking to both expand my field of proficiency, and help out some open-source games at the same time :)

So if you have a project (I prefer small ones < 100MB) and have some tasks to do, I'd love to help out. I wouldn't need any guidance or hand-holding (I'd look forward to each challenge as an opportunity for learning), just tell me what to do and I'll do it, but by bit. My code is very clean, and well documented.

For C/C++, I prefer to use C11 and C++11, using the most recent version of gcc/g++ and debugged with gdb.
For Java, I have v1.8.0_65, I don't know which version that is, though I assume it's the most recent.
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech

Re: C/C++ and Java Collaboration

Postby fluffrabbit » 05 Aug 2019, 00:02

Awesome! I have a number of closed-source C++ projects kept under wraps. If you're more interested in open source, here is a dump of my current GitHub embarrassments:

* Abuse for Linux -- It momentarily freezes up when you start it because it unnecessarily allocates a bunch of memory for audio (residual code from the pre-SDL days). I don't have time to work on it.
* My fork of Lobster and the pertinent bits in their own repo -- There is some serious shit blocking glTF models from displaying correctly, a combination of matrix and shader issues. When the matrix issues are solved, you will see all of the glTF models in unlit solid blue. When the shader issues are solved, animations are still unimplemented.
* Trying to compile an Android app using only free software -- Nightmare codebase under constant churn by yours truly. I'm slamming hard against this and may ultimately end up going with ./gradlew as a compromise as others have gotten that to work.
fluffrabbit

Postby dulsi » 05 Aug 2019, 12:35

Less than 100 MB. I think I have a different definition for a small project. I generally recommend finding a clone of a game you like and modify it. (This list is good.)

Since you are asking for concrete tasks. Ostrich Riders is a clone of Joust I maintain. It was pointed out to me that gravity doesn't work like it does in joust. Flapping once counteracts all downward movement. In Joust you have to flap multiple times to pull out if you are travelling fast. Basically you would need to change it to not reset you speed when you flap but instead add to it. The values for flapping speed and gravity may need tweaking to get this right. (I'd suggest having the way flapping works now as option.)

If you want a big project, AlchemyQuest is a fork of OpenAlchemist. We are thinking it needs to be ported from ClanLib to SDL2 or SFML.

Those are the only two specific tasks I can think of off the top of my head. I need to do work on Troll Bridge, Color Monsters, and Bt Builder but I don't have specific tasks I would recommend.
dulsi

Postby SteveSmith » 05 Aug 2019, 13:25

dulsi {l Wrote}:Less than 100 MB. I think I have a different definition for a small project. I generally recommend finding a clone of a game you like and modify it. (This list is good.)

That list looks good, but do you know how up to date it is? The style is from 1995. ;)
SteveSmith

Postby dulsi » 05 Aug 2019, 13:35

SteveSmith {l Wrote}:
dulsi {l Wrote}:Less than 100 MB. I think I have a different definition for a small project. I generally recommend finding a clone of a game you like and modify it. (This list is good.)

That list looks good, but do you know how up to date it is? The style is from 1995. ;)

Github link is at the top of the page. You can submit a pull request to update the style if you want. :) I don't know if the creator will accept such an update. It is still getting regular updates.
dulsi

Postby rubenwardy » 05 Aug 2019, 20:46

Ntech {l Wrote}:I prefer small ones < 100MB

This is a terribly measure of project size. Minetest is 9MB, yet is 120,000 of C++ - it's a pretty large project.

SteveSmith {l Wrote}:That list looks good, but do you know how up to date it is? The style is from 1995. ;)

I can tell that you've never seen a site from 1995, that website is actually styled pretty cleanly using modern techs like HTML5 and font awesome.

Actual websites from 1995 are typically recognisable by overuse of visible tables, lots of bevels, lots of silly unstyled links, and such.

Core Developer for Minetest - Commits | Donate
rubenwardy

Postby Ntech » 06 Aug 2019, 16:33

Thanks guys :) So I'm inexperienced with SDL and renderers, so I won't be able to edit those kinds of projects, yet.

dulsi {l Wrote}:Ostrich Riders is a clone of Joust I maintain. It was pointed out to me that gravity doesn't work like it does in joust.

Looks like a great game! I downloaded it, but when I tried running it,

"$ ./ostrichriders
Directory '/usr/share/ostrichriders/' not found using './data' "

Also:

"$ sudo make install
if test ! -d /usr/local/bin; then mkdir -p /usr/local/bin; fi
if test ! -d /usr/local/share/ostrichriders; then mkdir -p /usr/local/share/ostrichriders; fi
if test ! -d /usr/local/share/appdata; then mkdir -p /usr/local/share/appdata; fi
if test ! -d /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor; then mkdir -p /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor; fi
cp -R data/* /usr/local/share/ostrichriders/
cp -R ostrichriders.appdata.xml /usr/local/share/appdata/
cp -R icons/* /usr/local/share/icons/hicolor/
cp ostrichriders /usr/local/bin
desktop-file-install --dir=/usr/local/share/applications ostrichriders.desktop
"

rubenwardy {l Wrote}:This is a terribly measure of project size. Minetest is 9MB, yet is 120,000 of C++ - it's a pretty large project.

I meant the actual physical size, not lines of code. But thanks for pointing that out, I'll look into Minetest! It looks like something I'd be interested in.
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech

Postby smcameron » 13 Aug 2019, 03:21

I'm working on Space Nerds in Space, a linux multi-player spaceship bridge simulator. It's about ~100k lines of C plus a bit of Lua scripting for scenarios. Code is here and there is a document describing the code here. There's a TODO file, though I'm not sure there are any easy tasks in there. Lately I've been working on adding some interactive fiction elements accessible via the COMMS screen, but that's all in Lua. Probably not what you're looking for, but I figured it doesn't hurt to mention it.
smcameron

Postby 3dshay » 03 Jan 2020, 17:40

Hi, I'm looking for a programmer, please email me if you were interested and check my works at the attached image - blue_shay AT hotmail dot com

3dshay

Postby Ntech » 07 Jan 2020, 17:52

Great artwork! How are they licensed?
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech

Postby 3dshay » 13 Jan 2020, 14:57

Sorry what do you mean? any questions feel free to email me at blue_shay at hotmail dot com
3dshay

Postby Ntech » 13 Jan 2020, 16:37

I meant whether the artwork you showed in your post was freely available under a license such as the MIT, GNU GPL, or Creative Commons.
Deo gratias, Ave Maria
Ntech