Best open-source netcode today?

Best open-source netcode today?

Postby vellis » 08 Dec 2017, 23:14

I'm starting to work on a hobby project that heavily relies on good netcode. Instead of relying on half-assed implementations like knet and enet, i was looking for something more robust. I don't really care about anything other than the netcode, so I'm willing to use an entire game engine just because of it. So far I've tried ioquake3 and Torque3D, mostly because of the commercial projects that were built with them. Unfortunately, I'm quite disappointed with the prediction, compensation and interpolation approaches.

Which brings me to the following questions:
  • Are there any open-source mods to those engines that focus on netcode improvements?
  • Does anyone recommend any other open-source project with top-notch netcode?
vellis

Re: Best open-source netcode today?

Postby Julius » 09 Dec 2017, 06:25

No real clue, but did you have a look at RakNet?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby dulsi » 09 Dec 2017, 21:55

I haven't tried any net libraries so I can't help. I will say it might help if you describe what you want. knet and enet seem very low level. Torque3D and ioquake3 are specifically for 3D games with prediction, compensation, and interpolation as you mention. Are you making a 3D game? Are you looking for a tool with the features of the game engines you mentioned? What are your must have features and nice to have features?
dulsi

Postby Lyberta » 10 Dec 2017, 02:17

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Lyberta » 21 Dec 2017, 14:51

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 09:56, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby vellis » 22 Dec 2017, 05:56

Julius {l Wrote}:No real clue, but did you have a look at RakNet?

Didn't know RakNet was open-sourced until you posted. Thanks! So far it's my best option, although the fact that there are no game-specific demos worries me.

dulsi {l Wrote}:I haven't tried any net libraries so I can't help. I will say it might help if you describe what you want. knet and enet seem very low level. Torque3D and ioquake3 are specifically for 3D games with prediction, compensation, and interpolation as you mention. Are you making a 3D game? Are you looking for a tool with the features of the game engines you mentioned? What are your must have features and nice to have features?

Lyberta {l Wrote}:Can you say what's wrong with ioquake3 and Torque3D?

Ideally, i wanted a stable and scalable framework for fast-paced multiplayer games. I assumed ioquake3 would be ideal for this, but after running some simulated network issues i got many problems. I was naive to think that maybe the engine was the barebones of Source engine, but Valve definitely improved the netcode. Torque3D suffered the same issues, specially with raycasts. So far, the best results came from Darkplaces.
vellis

Postby Julius » 27 Mar 2018, 14:10

Maybe another (upcoming) option:
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/GameNetworkingSockets
(Steam integration is there but not required)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby hagish » 21 Apr 2018, 18:01

Probably too low level but there is another interesting one: https://github.com/networkprotocol/yojimbo
But I never tried it myself.
hagish
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 09 Oct 2019, 15:02

Insteresting new one specifically designed for certain types of games, such as fighting games or twitch based arcade games etc. using so called roll-back networking:
https://github.com/pond3r/ggpo
https://www.ggpo.net/
Julius
Community Moderator