OpenSpades Goxel support

Re: OpenSpades Goxel support

Postby bzt » 11 Aug 2022, 14:36

Julius {l Wrote}:the point of origin is not respected by the .vox exporter.
It seems pegvin is already looking into that. Don't you worry, .vox import/export will be Veloran compatible in no time ;-)

BTW, guillaumechereau is proving again what an @sshole and huge j3rk he is. He is trying to demand collaboration from pegvin... I've told pegvin don't fall for this lie, GPL puts absolutely no responsibility on him (but he must put the header comments back, in that one guillaumechereau is right, but only in that one).

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby Julius » 11 Aug 2022, 16:31

IMHO not worth starting a online feud over it, just rename the fork and go ahead with the changes. Goxel was pretty much stagnant for years, so I see no real harm in forking.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby bzt » 11 Aug 2022, 22:00

Julius {l Wrote}:IMHO not worth starting a online feud over it, just rename the fork and go ahead with the changes.
The problem is, guillaumechereau has absolutely no right to demand renaming pegvin's repo. The name "Goxel" isn't trademarked or anything (it can't be in the first place, GPL wouldn't allow that). Using the name "Goxel2" for the fork is perfectly fine.

Julius {l Wrote}:Goxel was pretty much stagnant for years, so I see no real harm in forking.
Yep, I agree. Moreover forking is explicitly allowed by the GPL license, without the consent of the original author and without the need to collaborate with him. Guillaumechereau's demands are ridiculous, he should have taken care of his repo instead of crying now.

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby PeterX » 11 Aug 2022, 23:18

Well, you are right. The new project owner is not allowed to remove copyright notices; but the rest that is demanded is not mandatory.

But what about style and respect?
I mean people don't have to be polite, but it makes the world a little bit better if they are polite.
So I think renaming etc. is a sign of respect.

Greetings
Peter
PeterX

Postby bzt » 12 Aug 2022, 00:26

PeterX {l Wrote}:But what about style and respect?
I mean people don't have to be polite, but it makes the world a little bit better if they are polite.
In general I totally agree with you, people should be polite and understanding by default.

PeterX {l Wrote}:So I think renaming etc. is a sign of respect.
Of one thing I'm certain: should guillaumechereau been polite and should he have maintained goxel properly, and there would be no fork to talk about at all.

I don't think guillaumechereau deserves respect. He abandoned his project for years and treated people trying to help him like crap, and yet, he is now crying about the fork. Sorry, I can't respect that attitude. Just my humble opinion, and just in this case in particular, in general I agree with you. In this case, as you sow, so shall you reap.

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby mgerhardy » 08 Sep 2022, 09:09

Shameless plug, you could even try vengi voxedit https://mgerhardy.github.io/vengi/voxedit/Index/ it supports OpenSpades, too. And I am open for contributions, too ;) Especially if it's about a bug.
mgerhardy

Postby Julius » 10 Sep 2022, 18:05

Thanks for reminding me, I had this on my "to-try" list already :)

edit: do I understand that correctly that you can import Quake .bsp files and the editor voxelizes them so that they could be exported into OpenSpades?

edit: those Minecraft levels also look like, is there a library of user created Minecraft maps that are Creative Commons Licensed somewhere?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby bzt » 10 Sep 2022, 19:23

Julius {l Wrote}:It seems like the point of origin is not respected by the .vox exporter.
Could you please attach the vox files here (one before loaded into Goxel2 and has a proper point or origin, and the other one saved from Goxel2 and has incorrect POI). Gdrive doesn't work for me... Anyway if I could compare the two, maybe I can come up with a fix.

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby bzt » 10 Sep 2022, 20:11

mgerhardy {l Wrote}:Shameless plug, you could even try vengi voxedit https://mgerhardy.github.io/vengi/voxedit/Index/ it supports OpenSpades, too. And I am open for contributions, too ;) Especially if it's about a bug.
Looks nice! You have a pretty neat voxel editor here!

May I suggest to support Minetest Schematic files too? Here is my own spec on the format, maybe a little bit more readable (if the resemblance is uncanny between these two, that's because they have used my spec as a source for their wiki ;-) )

And maybe voxel Model3D (Goxel2's native format, it is not using .gox any more). it could be a good candidate for storing animated voxel images, if you finish implementing animation.

I've also noticed a small bug in the doc: you say that vengi supports .nbt, .schematic and .schem files, but you link to the same spec for all of those. However this isn't the case. NBT is an block encoding method (reinventing the good old chunks), and both .schem and .schematic files use that chunks format, yet they are conceptually different. The link you use is for .schematic files only, and the best spec I could find for the latter is here. Using the same link for all these three is pretty confusing.

The proper links would be .nbt, .schematic and .schem. Hope this helps! Otherwise well done!

Cheers,
bzt
bzt

Postby bzt » 03 Oct 2022, 21:51

Looks like Goxel2 went down, and took OpenSpades support with it. That's a pity. It would be great to know what have happened (TBH I wouldn't be surprised to find out guillaumechereau was playing dirty and that's why).

As far as I know, original Goxel's OpenSpades support is still broken. At least a quick look at the source revealed that my fixes were still not merged for sure, and neither were libvxl integrated. It got some Minetest support in the meantime, but no Minecraft Schematic support. Just in case Goxel2's repo goes entirely dark, I have attached the source for these for the future generations (just uncompress and copy them under Goxel's src/formats, no modifications needed).

Cheers,
bzt
Attachments
vxl.c.gz
VXL support using libvxl
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
schem.c.gz
Minetest and Minecraft Schematic support
(3.21 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
bzt

Postby mdtrooper » 04 Oct 2022, 14:24

The goxel2 repo is archived (at the moment it is online): https://github.com/pegvin/goxel2
And I have a Patreon in https://www.patreon.com/migueldedios.
mdtrooper

Postby Julius » 04 Oct 2022, 20:57

Hmm, bad news. Yeah, I hope that is not a result of the original Goxel developer doing something stupid.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby bzt » 04 Oct 2022, 23:35

mdtrooper {l Wrote}:The goxel2 repo is archived (at the moment it is online): https://github.com/pegvin/goxel2
Yeah, "at the moment". The website has gone, and I'm not sure for how long the repo will be accessible, that's why I've uploaded the code here too. Better to be safe than sorry.

Julius {l Wrote}:Hmm, bad news. Yeah, I hope that is not a result of the original Goxel developer doing something stupid.
Let's hope so. Pegvin was pretty passionate about it, hard to image he has just abandoned the project without a good reason.

But either way, the fact remains, there's no OpenSpades support for now. :-( Have you tried vengi's voxedit? Is it good? Looks promising, but I haven't used OpenSpades so I cannot tell how compatible its support is, or how user friendly and easy to use its interface is.

Cheers,
bzt
bzt