Syntensity + OwnCloud == Double Awesome?

Syntensity + OwnCloud == Double Awesome?

Postby BrainInAJar » 25 Jan 2010, 21:20

Have you guys heard about OwnCloud, the big new FOSS cloud computing project yet? Given that imho OwnCloud and Syntensity are two of the upcoming hot projects in the FOSS scene, it would be awesome to plug both together. You could provide more interaction between Syntensity and other services and possibly even use some of the libs to reduce your own code load. Any chance of Syntensity becoming an OwnCloud data provider (like forums.kde.org)?
BrainInAJar

Re: Syntensity + OwnCloud == Double Awesome?

Postby TheAncientGoat » 26 Jan 2010, 11:41

Oo, that does look cool :) We've been talking about moving to the AppEngine cloud, but having alternatives is always good
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby kripken » 26 Jan 2010, 15:58

Hmm, looks very interesting. It seems they are just at the idea stage though (wiki has brainstorming stuff; source code repo has no commits)?

In general though this definitely looks like something that we should work with.

- kripken
kripken
Syntensity Moderator

Postby BrainInAJar » 26 Jan 2010, 22:45

I believe libattica is supposed to be the library accessing this, which already powers anything using "Get Hot New Stuff" in KDE (ie downloading and rating wallpapers, desktop widgets etc). The code for that is already running in KDE for quite some time. I think OwnCloud is the project to basically extend that to a full blown cloud solution.

I'd check anything I say though, as I'm no dev. :)
BrainInAJar