Project idea! FOSS Transformice recreation.

Project idea! FOSS Transformice recreation.

Postby Julius » 29 Jun 2010, 17:14

This sort of developed out of this thread over here:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=498&p=4977#p4977

So my idea is to take the Yo Frankie art assets (CC-BY): http://www.yofrankie.org/gallery/ to recreate (in spirit) this flash game:
http://www.transformice.com/

The sheep could be the mice, and the ram thing the shamans, but the rodent thing has of course the cooler animations. Maybe we can make some varieties of that guy instead ;) The monkey is cool too... hmm we have to discuss this I guess.

Link to a video explaning the Transformice gameplay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJReZRji7tg

It of course depends on the status of the 2D platform code, and the integration of the bullet physics (which was planned some time ago if I remember correctly).
But I would be more than willing to help out with all art related things (3D modeling, animation texturing etc).

Any coder willing to help with this?
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Project idea! FOSS Transformice recreation.

Postby TheAncientGoat » 29 Jun 2010, 17:51

I think this is not only a cool idea, but it /needs/ to be done to move syntensity

The gfx are pretty much done, which is cool, although they'd need to be imported + scripted up (which isn't that hard, but it does take time). The physics isn't quite ready for primetime, getting pivots and stuff to work... It will be a hard coding job. But not impossible. Implementing the real time editing won't be as hard, I think, and is another neccesary feature, but it is work nonetheless.

I'm even encouraged to start importing the needed assets :) Should we keep the thread here, or move it to the Syntensity forums? I fear that it won't get as much exposure there though..
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 29 Jun 2010, 18:08

It's gets better: The Yo-Frankie assets are already in Syntensity:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlrJlGhr_II

NICE!
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby adrix89 » 30 Jun 2010, 12:43

A great idea and its not the only time I heard it as there have been some talk of editing cfg,unfortunetly there is some problem in that you can't assign editing ability with scripts
BUT if you all want we can organize a session on irc where we can clone the ctf map and add owners all that want to join.
Of course it turn out chaotic if we don't play by our own rules
Last edited by adrix89 on 30 Jun 2010, 22:51, edited 2 times in total.
adrix89

Postby joen » 30 Jun 2010, 20:23

Sounds like a fun idea!
joen

Postby Julius » 01 Jul 2010, 00:50

adrix89 {l Wrote}:A great idea and its not the only time I heard it as there have been some talk of editing cfg,unfortunetly there is some problem in that you can't assign editing ability with scripts
BUT if you all want we can organize a session on irc where we can clone the ctf map and add owners all that want to join.
Of course it turn out chaotic if we don't play by our own rules

Lets wait and see what Kripken thinks about this in regard to the physics integration, as this would be the most vital part.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby adrix89 » 01 Jul 2010, 06:30

Julius {l Wrote}:Lets wait and see what Kripken thinks about this in regard to the physics integration, as this would be the most vital part.

It's not really about what he thinks.
We already have some bullet physics integration but the problem is its not stable yet and Kripken hasn't been coding lately.
adrix89

Postby TheAncientGoat » 01 Jul 2010, 07:16

Julius {l Wrote}:Lets wait and see what Kripken thinks about this in regard to the physics integration, as this would be the most vital part.

Waiting for kripken = not a good idea. He's only around on weekends for a couple of hours, we've learned to do things without him. The key developer at the moment is Quaker66, you'd best go to him if you want to get something done
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby adrix89 » 01 Jul 2010, 11:30

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:

Waiting for kripken = not a good idea. He's only around on weekends for a couple of hours, we've learned to do things without him. The key developer at the moment is Quaker66, you'd best go to him if you want to get something done

I like what quaker is doing right now, besides i didn't say that we can't have fun with saur ones, remember hook? totally JavaScript physics, but its going to be buggy(just like in transformice)
adrix89

Postby TheAncientGoat » 01 Jul 2010, 12:00

True, pestering Quaker might not be that constructive, he has his own plan and we'd best not steer him off that... Doing it in Javascript would be insane though, haha, but maybe the only way for now, until Quaker chooses to tackle Bullet. Just as well we have the JS physics expert with us in the thread, ey adrix? ;)

PS. I imported the sheep into the engine, I personally think we could use the sheep + frankie instead of the sheep and the ram, because Frankie has animations that would fit the "creation mode" whereas the ram doesn't quite. Also, an imported ram is most probably lying on someone's pc, so we could wait a while and save having to duplicate effort
Attachments
screenshot_204978.png
Screenshot with imported sheep
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby adrix89 » 01 Jul 2010, 12:30

Well its clear the JS physics aren't going to be to complicated, but we would probably focus on the edit mode and event system rather then physics in this game
adrix89

Postby joen » 01 Jul 2010, 14:02

Isn't it possible to insert assets via script? So one could possibly insert a "bridge" or so..
joen

Postby TheAncientGoat » 01 Jul 2010, 14:26

Joen: It is, but it hasn't been connected to a UI or anything. Also, the bridge wouldn't be very advanced physics wise, I'm not sure how one'd do rotation or anything like that. Guess it will take some experimentation :)
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby joen » 01 Jul 2010, 15:41

I would like to see Syntentisheep! in "classic Syntensity 3rd person view", unlike the experimental sidescroller. A "builder" (shaman in transformice) could cycle throug assets via keypress and place objects directly (like in tremulous). A GUI wouldn't even be needed ;). Other players (the mice) would just run through the environment, trying to get to the appletree (cheese) and back to a "portal".
Attachments
place_asset.png
joen

Postby TheAncientGoat » 01 Jul 2010, 16:01

Joen: That's a pretty cool re-imaging of the idea :D It would be tricky translating transformice gameplay to 3d, but surely possible :) We have an asset cycler already, but unfortunately I haven't seen on-the-fly transparency modification of models, and I'm not sure if there's a binding for that (but we can hope).

The biggest hurdle I still see here is the physics, and in 3d it will be even harder to implement in JavaScript. I do have faith in Adrix however, if he feels like doing it :P
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby adrix89 » 01 Jul 2010, 18:11

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:Joen: That's a pretty cool re-imaging of the idea :D It would be tricky translating transformice gameplay to 3d, but surely possible :) We have an asset cycler already, but unfortunately I haven't seen on-the-fly transparency modification of models, and I'm not sure if there's a binding for that (but we can hope).

The biggest hurdle I still see here is the physics, and in 3d it will be even harder to implement in JavaScript. I do have faith in Adrix however, if he feels like doing it :P

Some things are possible and some things are not, it depends what exactly do you want,anything related to rotation from what I understand is not possible
adrix89

Postby joen » 01 Jul 2010, 19:22

Assert Insertion: My idea was to insert assets in relation to the position (and orientation) of the player. An asset would "float" in front of the player and move with the view. The distance to the player would always stay the same.

See this tremulous video (0:44)

EDIT:I just noticed that something like this could help in edit mode some day ... ;)
joen

Postby TheAncientGoat » 01 Jul 2010, 19:31

adrix89 {l Wrote}:Some things are possible and some things are not, it depends what exactly do you want,anything related to rotation from what I understand is not possible

And therein lies the problem, rotation + pivots is /the/ key feature of transformice. Well, that and anvilgods :P One /couuuld/ still implement 2d physical objects with the line-drawing code and some hackish collision detection done in JS, but taking that into 3d would be a bit too much. Bullet seems to be the only way to go for full 3d
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby adrix89 » 02 Jul 2010, 09:51

Player = Character.extend({
_class: "Player",
_canEdit: new StateBoolean(),

init: function(uniqueId, kwargs) {
log(DEBUG, "Player.init");
this._super(uniqueId, kwargs);

this._canEdit = false; // Set to true by the server if it should be true
},

clientActivate: function(kwargs) {
this._super(kwargs);
},
});

Prepare for coop editing!
adrix89

Postby Julius » 02 Jul 2010, 14:57

IMHO staying 2D would be essential for keeping the Transformice idea, I can't imagine it working particularly well in 3D.

And I also think that if the integration of the bullet physics is not ready for it, we should rather postpone this until it is. Hacking something up, which isn't working very well will be a wasted effort for such a game where the physics are really vital.

But it's good to hear that there is some interest in this idea :)
Last edited by Julius on 02 Jul 2010, 19:12, edited 2 times in total.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 02 Jul 2010, 16:01

I kind of agree Julius, but we'll have to analyze the priorities of Syntensity, the bullet plugin might not be that far down on the list..
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby adrix89 » 02 Jul 2010, 16:04

Julius {l Wrote}:IMHO staying 2D would be essential for keeping the Transformice idea, I can't imagine it working particularly well in 3D.

And I also think that if the bullet engine is not ready for it, we should rather postpone this until it is. Hacking something up, which isn't not working very well will be a wastes effort for such a game where the physics are really vital.

But it's good to hear that there is some interest in this idea :)

No coop edit ctf for you unbeliver, you don't need super physics to make batshit stuff at the expense of helpless victims when you have control of world geometry
adrix89

Postby david_cz » 13 Jul 2010, 09:35

good idea to make flash game to 3D.try make mouse model and try make shaman and physic.good luck to making gamemode ;)
im share my ideas.dont post bad mesages!!im not scripter.
david_cz

Postby adrix89 » 13 Jul 2010, 18:22

*offtopic*
david_cz {l Wrote}:good idea to make flash game to 3D.try make mouse model and try make shaman and physic.good luck to making gamemode ;)

If I didn't already know you are so naive I would have believed that it was a sarcastic comment
*end offtopic*
adrix89

Postby joen » 13 Jul 2010, 23:08

*offtopic*
omfg! robloxfanclub.info - are you serious?
*end offtopic*
joen