Creating a client

Creating a client

Postby rogerdv » 23 Jan 2010, 20:34

Is it possible to create a client from scratch using another rendering engine, like Ogre?
rogerdv

Re: Creating a client

Postby kripken » 24 Jan 2010, 09:42

rogerdv {l Wrote}:Is it possible to create a client from scratch using another rendering engine, like Ogre?

Replacing parts like the rendering engine is possible, in fact there is an older branch with a proof of concept of using Ogre 3D. The previous blog had some posts about it, here is one of them: http://intensityengine.blogspot.com/2008/11/entity-list-and-lightmaps-in-ogre.html

If someone is interested in working on this I would help out.
kripken
Syntensity Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 24 Jan 2010, 12:37

I love the Cube engine, personally, but it would be really cool if we could make a Panda3d engine client, as that has a web-player, allowing people to play right in the browser would be awesome. Another thing that would be cool to do is to use it for javascript web games, as they would make nifty little minigames in some of the larger ones
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby kripken » 24 Jan 2010, 13:14

TheAncientGoat {l Wrote}:I love the Cube engine, personally, but it would be really cool if we could make a Panda3d engine client, as that has a web-player, allowing people to play right in the browser would be awesome. Another thing that would be cool to do is to use it for javascript web games, as they would make nifty little minigames in some of the larger ones

Hmm, I didn't know Panda 3D were working on a browser plugin, interesting. However, the security aspect for them is very problematic (which they are aware of: http://www.panda3d.org/blog/?p=14).

Eventually we should have a web client of our own, and it wouldn't be hard to do - and wouldn't suffer from the security problems Panda 3D has, given our different architecture. Really the main problem is testing on the various browsers and so forth, which isn't hard but is annoying and takes a serious team of people. Otherwise it is not hard.
kripken
Syntensity Moderator