Standalone games

Standalone games

Postby adshead » 22 Jan 2010, 15:44

Hi,

Having played a little with Platinum Arts Sandboxgamemaker I yesterday discovered Syntensity which looks very interesting. Although it looks to have a lot more useful features that PAS, would I be right in thinking it can only make networked games?

I'd like to build a standalone game if possible?

Thanks,
Dud
adshead

Re: Standalone games

Postby TheAncientGoat » 22 Jan 2010, 21:02

Syntensity is designed with networked games in mind, however.. If someone can manage an embedded, client launched server (which would be really cool for map dev purposes, I don't want to struggle with hosting one myself just to test out scripting), then it would be rather easy. Not really the "best" way to go about doing it, but not that work intensive
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby adrix89 » 23 Jan 2010, 07:46

I'm pretty sure kripken was doing some work for no networked games
Git commit:

Work towards working entirely offline, without a master server. Server can
load maps correctly so far, and client can skip login page

Alon Zakai (author)
5 days ago

Note that if its done the JavaScript would probably be separate from server so you would not be able to make servers(aka no multilayer)
That is because YOU decide what happens on both client and server javascript
Also setting up a local server isn't that hard its like launching a client in the background talk to kripken on irc for details if you don't get somthing
adrix89

Postby kripken » 23 Jan 2010, 08:31

adshead {l Wrote}:Hi,

Having played a little with Platinum Arts Sandboxgamemaker I yesterday discovered Syntensity which looks very interesting. Although it looks to have a lot more useful features that PAS, would I be right in thinking it can only make networked games?

I'd like to build a standalone game if possible?

Thanks,
Dud

We are mainly focused on networked games, but standalone games are also possible, and there is at least one project I am aware of using this engine for a standalone game.

Basically, to make a standalone game you just run a server and a client on the user's machine, and connect with the client to the server. No need to connect to anything external. It will also be possible to have the server run and be connected to automatically, so the user only sees the client starting up, that feature will be added at some point (depending on when people need it).

- kripken
kripken
Syntensity Moderator

Postby Turblib » 23 Jan 2010, 16:09

As a note, the playdeb lacks the servers.
getting the source and compile worked fine. Then its 3 xterms with master, server, client.
Which could be put in a wrapper. since the local masterserver hosts already a real website, it could launch the browser with buttons to launch them, standalone done.
Turblib

Postby adshead » 23 Jan 2010, 19:01

This sounds great. I don't really mind having a server and client on the same machine if, from the players perspective, they can't tell. Many thanks for the replies - time to have a play with this stuff I think!
adshead