POLL: Which chat system would you like FGD to have?

What are your 3 most preferred chat systems that you would also like to use on FDG?

XMPP through external client
24%
XMPP through web-client (chat only)
9%
XMPP through advanced web-client (Movim)
3%
Matrix through external client
No votes
Matrix with Riot.im web-client
6%
IRC through external client
18%
IRC through modern web-client
27%
Mattermost
No votes
RocketChat
No votes
Zulip
No votes
Mumble Voice Chat
9%
Other (comment below)
3%

Total votes : 33

Re: POLL: Which chat system would you like FGD to have?

Postby Julius » 21 Sep 2018, 05:24

Can those people who chose IRC comment on what their prefferred alternative would be? Given that sad state of our Freenode IRC we probably need to look for an alternative.So far I was hoping the spam wave would stop at some point :(
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete” - Buckminster Fuller
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby SecureUvula » 21 Sep 2018, 06:49

I had put IRC, but Freenode isn't the friendliest network for Tor users. (Not the worst either, just not good)

So anything you guys self-host with a web UI that doesn't need WebRTC or any new odd UDP features, should work.

I have gotten on Matrix through Tor Browser before.

I think voice chat is a non-starter since it's even more ephemeral than IRC. Imagine "Hello! Is anyone here? (leaves)" but worse.
Itch: https://activated-onion.itch.io/

"Not only does he do it for free, he doesn't do it at all."
SecureUvula

Postby Julius » 21 Sep 2018, 06:54

Can you try if this works though Tor: https://conversejs.org/ ?

Edit: https://conversejs.org/demo/anonymous.html
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete” - Buckminster Fuller
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby SecureUvula » 24 Sep 2018, 18:03

I think it worked. I saw history messages, but I didn't see anyone talking live.
Itch: https://activated-onion.itch.io/

"Not only does he do it for free, he doesn't do it at all."
SecureUvula

Postby Julius » 24 Sep 2018, 18:28

Good news. Then this will probably be implemented soonish (I got most of the infrastructure in place, just need to find the time to link it all up). First stand-alone, but there is also an (outdated) plugin for Hubzilla (what runs on https://social.freegamedev.net).

The idea is to have a FreeGameDev specific MUC (Multi User Chat) that you can join with any XMPP account & client (the webclient above is only optional). I am also trying to enable to have a free XMPP account for every user from us, but linking that to the existing database is a bit tricky. Right now my idea is to link it to the Hubzilla user database, so you will have to create an new account there (any future updated forum software will likely be linked back to our Hubzilla also, so get your favourite username now ;) ).

With the already running Bitlbee it is then also possible to join this XMPP MUC also with your favorite IRC client if that is preferred by you (but you need to follow the instructions inside Bitlbee on how to set up your XMPP/Jabber account for the bridge to work... but if you are still using IRC, you should be able to manage that :p )

In the further away future we can also link this XMPP MUC to other group chats such as Steam Groups, Discord, Slack, IRC etc. via Matterbridge, but I have not investigated that much.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby flavio » 25 Sep 2018, 17:45

Julius {l Wrote}:Can those people who chose IRC comment on what their prefferred alternative would be?

Being an IRC user, I haven't a deep knowledge about XMPP and Matrix. Anyway, my feeling is that the current preferred paradigm is towards "media rich" chat systems (e.g. Slack, Discord, ...), so maybe Matrix could match it better imho.
flavio

Postby Julius » 25 Sep 2018, 18:12

XMPP can be media-rich ;) It has a reputation for being old and limited like IRC, but with the right client that really isn't true for both. You can test the linked above Conversejs as an example, but Movim.eu is probably even a bit nicer as a web-client.

The problem with [Matrix] is that while the frontend web-client client (Riot.im) is nice, the currently available server backend (Synapse) is truly horrendous in regards to performance, database size creep and ram usage. There are also very few nice mobile and desktop clients that don't rely on electron bloatware. So as much as I wanted to run Matrix initially also, it is really totally out of question by now.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 01 Oct 2018, 18:30

Small update: I managed to connect the https://social.freegamedev.net Hubzilla user database to my Ejabberd XMPP server (with a bit of an ugly hack :p I hope to replace that in the future with an proper OAuth2 connection), so hopefully I can enable that very soon for everyone. Now I need to wrestle with DNS and see if I can get XMPP also to work with the same channel name e.g. in my case that would be "poVoq@social.freegamedev.net" (hoping that that will not interfere with the ActivityPub webfinger stuff). But otherwise something like "poVoq@xmpp.freegamedev.net" will work for sure.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 12 Oct 2018, 07:53

qudobup is collecting Discord open-source game channels here: https://discord.gg/usAHQdz
Seems like a good opportunity to link them up via Matterbridge to XMPP (and maybe IRC, but the spam there is still strong).
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Lyberta » 13 Oct 2018, 15:05

Isn't Discord proprietary? Why are people shooting themselves in the foot?
Mental health warning.
Lyberta

Postby Julius » 13 Oct 2018, 17:58

Yeah, but it's easy, popular and convenient and doesn't belong to one of the main data-mining companies (yet). So lets engage them where they are and offer bridges (practically and metaphorically) to truly Free services ;)
Julius
Community Moderator