Linux Game Awards: Project of the Month (?)

Re: Linux Game Awards: Project of the Month (?)

Postby Julius » 25 Nov 2013, 18:05

Ok this would be my suggestion for the 10 nominees:

-SuperTuxKart
    -Stunt Rally
    -0 A.D.
    -The Dark Mod
    -FLARE
    -Pioneer
    -Simutrans
    -Zero-K
    -Megaglest
    -Hedgewars

I think it has a good mix of genres and all of them are high quality, without being too much of a list of the usual well known candidates.

Is everyone ok with it?

P.S.: I added Hedgewars instead of teeworlds, as that one has been much more active lately.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 26 Nov 2013, 00:14

Perhaps http://www.flightgear.org and http://www.speed-dreams.org are worthy of consideration?
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 26 Nov 2013, 13:49

We will leave those for the next round.

Voting is open now btw:
http://www.linuxgameawards.org/award-in ... nuary-2014
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Wuzzy » 28 Nov 2013, 02:18

How do you want to prevent fraud?
Wuzzy

Postby Arthur » 28 Nov 2013, 02:24

It appears to need login by either Google, Twitter, Facebook or site's own account.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Wuzzy » 28 Nov 2013, 18:40

This does not prevent anything. Anyone could still register a lot of bogus accounts, using a lot of bogus e-mail addresses.

And why the hell do you support Google and Facebook? Those companies are hostile to free software. If your goal is to promote software freedom, you have to stop supporting these companies. Facebook is probably the worst, it has close ties to Microsoft. Google is seemingly pro free software; but only at the surface. Yes, they are pro free software if that software isn’t their own (Google Summer of Code, Google Code hosting). But if it’s about their own core products (Google Earth, Google Code itself, Picasa, Google Analytics [ObfuScript]), they are clearly anti free software. I don’t say anything about Twitter yet because I don’t know enough about this company to have an opinion.

To be honest, I am still skeptical of the whole Linux Game Awards thing.
Wuzzy

Postby Julius » 28 Nov 2013, 20:05

Who is going to take the effort to do that though? It's not like there is money at stake or anything.

I do in general agree about not supporting those companies, but in this case it's a lesser evil, e.g. you can vote perfectly well without having an account, but most people that do have such an account would otherwise probably not vote at all since they can't be bothered to register on our site just for that.

It's just a small promotion thing, nothing to be skeptical about as it can't do any harm, right?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby amuzen » 28 Nov 2013, 21:13

If someone wants to win the award that badly, there's a more productive way to do it than ballot stuffing: activate your community and promote your game more. If you win that way, you have gotten two months worth of publicity, and if you don't, you still got one month.

Of course, you don't get the same sweet evil feeling that way... :p
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby charlie » 28 Nov 2013, 23:31

I voted! :D
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Arthur » 29 Nov 2013, 00:15

Julius {l Wrote}:Who is going to take the effort to do that though? It's not like there is money at stake or anything.

It's just a small promotion thing, nothing to be skeptical about as it can't do any harm, right?

Completely agree. Also I know that none (well I am very sure) of the developers of these games would stoop so low as to encourage such behaviour and would probably report it if they heard anyone from their communities doing that.

This is a great promotional thing, but really most people that would see the results know about those already so even for that it will have limited effect. Still nice though. :)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Julius » 30 Nov 2013, 23:02

Votes are coming in quite well so far, but I guess we will have to spread the word a bit further also.

Would be also nice if we included a link on the blog somewhere like this:
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 30 Dec 2013, 16:33

Results have been posted:
http://www.linuxgameawards.org/

Congratulations to (surprise!) 0 A.D. ;)

But our friends from SuperTuxKart got a very respectable 2nd place!

For promotion purposes I will probably do a small "introduction into 0 A.D. modding" article series, but if anyone wants to help out with that or other 0 A.D. related promotion activities (like interviews, game-play video, etc.) that would be great!

We are also always looking for additional authors for the FreeGamer Blog, so this could be a nice first article to start with :)
Julius
Community Moderator