FreeArtSearch: repository proposals

FreeArtSearch: repository proposals

Postby ghoulsblade » 09 May 2010, 01:41

thread for collecting interesting things to add to http://search.freegamedev.net/ database.
please add and discuss suggestions =)

ryzom :
with all the buzz about the nice ryzom content being released, it'd be a nice idea to add it to the freeartsearch,
now there's their torrent (1.4gb) with it all : http://seeder.gnu.org/ryzom_assets.7z.torrent
but it'd be nice to have some preview thumbnail of the models as well,
can anyone help out here with some blender script magic or something ? =)
ghoulsblade
Global Moderator

Re: FreeArtSearch: repository proposals

Postby TheAncientGoat » 09 May 2010, 08:35

Ghouls, why not look into implementing their asset browser tech first? They have reeealy nice previews and dependency generation, among other things, that would make freeartsearch a lot more usable (getting models out of freeartsearch atm is kinda nightmarish)
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby ghoulsblade » 09 May 2010, 20:16

so the ryzom media-browser is good then ?
could you summarize a bit what you like most about it, please ?
maybe if we get to work some more on the freeartsearch web stuff we can copy a few ideas.
i see they somehow associate models and their textures, that'd be some nasty blender scripting as well i guess.
ghoulsblade
Global Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 10 May 2010, 06:00

I guess a lot of the "coolness" of their media browser basically comes out of how they set up their workflow, although I guess one /caaan/ get similar functionality without too much format hassle if you make it user submitted; while you could theoretically do it programatically with blend files (specifically structured blend files at that), you wouldn't have that for all the other countless forms of 3d data, giving users the power to link things manually might solve that problem.

So, to summarize things I like

1) Dependency generation/consideration, making it easy to download 3d content without having to trawl through the entire file structure looking for textures etc.
2) Interactive 3D previews of 3d models
3) Commenting + rating functionality/other social features
4) Clean design
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby ghoulsblade » 10 May 2010, 22:26

thanks =) yeah, seeing what textures a model uses seems a very cool & necessary thing. some model formats might have them embedded though.
I don't think relying on user help for associating models with textures will work, it's just too many files, and the nature of the website is not as socializing as things like deviantart where artists present their work in hope of getting comments.
I guess it boils down to making/finding tools to do automatic analysis on different model formats.
My goal would be automatically import&convert everything into blender, since it is the primary opensource modeller,
and find ways to generate infos from there automatically :
list of texture filenames / partial paths -> would enable at least a search function for associated art in the same repository
list of named animations (very interesting in my opinion, i miss that in ryzom media viewer)
and preview images from one or more angles (more angles would enable an interactive preview like ryzom media)
ghoulsblade
Global Moderator