[RANT] The new forums have been a big mistake

[RANT] The new forums have been a big mistake

Postby Wuzzy » 26 Mar 2023, 23:33

I feel like the new forums are just a massive downgrade. This was probably the biggest mistake that FDG has ever made. There are so many things worse.

- ALL the game forums are gone (this is a HUGE deal especially because of SuperTuxKart)
- The rich category system replaced with only 7 tags
- FDG has successfully split the community in half because it runs 2 competing forums at the same time. FDG is competing with itself for over a year now. :(
- The UX feels very horrible
- The monospace font triggers me
- Outright promotes proprietary software like GitHub in login
- Also promotes proprietary software/websites with the socal media icons for the profile. Over 90% of available icons are of proprietary software.

The UX thing might be a matter of taste, of course. But it's not just about GUI and looks. It's also about outright missing features. I would be WAY more willing to look over the UX stuff if the new forums had at least feature parity with the old forums. Namely:

* Add the old forum categories AND sub-categories (at least the most popular ones)
* Add tags for the major games (at least SuperTuxKart, SuperTux)
* Let me add my XMPP address in my profile again
* Make up your mind about which of the 2 forums is official. It's not healthy for a community to be split like that
* Figure out a reasonable solution with the SuperTuxKart and SuperTux forums

[RANT OVER]

I admit I wasn't active for a long time but this is because of this weird forum split confusion. Maybe I'll be more active but it concers me that half of the community won't see my posts.

NOTE: This forum post has been crossposted here: https://freegamedev.net/d/731-rant-the- ... ig-mistake
Wuzzy

Re: [RANT] The new forums have been a big mistake

Postby Julius » 26 Mar 2023, 23:48

I merged it with a similar discussion we had before: https://freegamedev.net/d/124-splitting ... -a-mistake
Julius
Community Moderator