[rejected] A few suggestions

[rejected] A few suggestions

Postby Cacatoes » 17 Aug 2011, 16:33

Yo,

A few suggestions to make FGD more comfortable:

- flee away from blogspot ... what's the problem with their comment forms ? They're perpetually loading. (okay, it finally loaded, I saw some CDN link, could be related to that). I assume more generally it's better not to be dependent of such services, for you to be able to work out your blog as you want it to be.
- being able to get "new posts" from FGD forum while excluding those in the "featured projects" category, they are quite active compared to FGD's main website's life, and so they tend to overwhelm the rest.

,oY
Cacatoes

Re: A few suggestions

Postby TheAncientGoat » 17 Aug 2011, 16:59

The comment system is actually powered by Disquis and not Blogspot, so not BS's fault

The new posts for FGD forum is a good idea, but you can get them currently via RSS
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Tranberry » 17 Aug 2011, 18:57

I also dislike Disqus or whaterver it is called.. if that is what the op said.

On the other topic I agree, don't include the featured projects in the forum activity blah.
I agree with Q until I post differently.
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby amuzen » 17 Aug 2011, 19:51

For new posts only in the community forums, perhaps this would do it:

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
http://forum.freegamedev.net/search.php?search_id=newposts&fid[]=11

Too bad there's no way to omit all the useless flamewar threads as well. :p
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby KroArtem » 17 Aug 2011, 20:59

+1 for those who hate Disqus
KroArtem

Postby qubodup » 18 Aug 2011, 01:10

Haha. If we went back to regular Blogger comments you would be so annoyed by it :D
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby charlie » 18 Aug 2011, 04:41

It is better now, they implemented proper spam prevention, but we'd lose all the disqus comments. :(
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 26 Aug 2011, 23:59

We will probably not move away from blogspot, as it allows deep control of style and template without having to administer and/or paying.

It unfortunately seems impossible to subscribe to a category subforum and automatically read all it's subforums' posts. Perhaps this will be possible in future phpBB versions. We will not install mods to not endanger the forum and to not raise the administration effort when upgrading.

One could subscribe to all subforums individually and/or create a yahoo feed pipe.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Re: [rejected] A few suggestions

Postby Cacatoes » 27 Aug 2011, 16:04

@amuzen
Thanks, I meant "unread" rather than "new", but then this link ( search.php?search_id=unreadposts&fid[]=11 ) seems to answer very well my need ;)
It could be cute to have it directly in the template ("linklist"). I don't mind to use the "mark all as read" option then, I wouldn't need a "selective mark as read", as if I use the first it's in order to clean posts I don't care to read.

@qubodup
Honestly, giving you the ability to change the appearance of your blog is the least they can do... still, they retain some control on your data (haven't been hearing about "the clouds" and its critics lately ?), and that's what the most annoying in my opinion. Migration requires efforts (up to you to cut & paste the lost comments, or retrieve them by some script), but it's something you may think about if you're further annoyed by it.

Now these are (were) only suggestions ;)
Cacatoes

Re: [rejected] A few suggestions

Postby qubodup » 28 Aug 2011, 01:15

We can export blog posts and we can export Disqus comments AFAIK (maybe not the old blogspot ones) but in the worst case we could hack some parsers.

Wordpress.com doesn't allow styling for free accounts for example.

If we had more time to spend on fgd, we'd like to have a nicer software and full control for sure. :) Right now blogspot and disqus are reliable and convenient.
qubodup
Global Moderator