POLL: Which forum software would you like FGD to use?

What forum software would be your most preferred option as an upgrade to the current one?

Just upgrade to the latest phpBB with a mobile compatible theme
67%
Switch to myBB
No votes
Switch to an CMS integrated forum like Kuena
No votes
Upgrade to Discourse
19%
Upgrade to NodeBB
5%
Upgrade to Flarum
5%
Upgrade to Vanilla forums
No votes
Switch to some Reddit like system (please explain below)
5%
Switch to some Twitter like system (please explain below)
No votes
Switch to a social network site with forum like functionality (please explain below)
No votes
Something else (please explain below)
No votes

Total votes : 21

Re: POLL: Which forum software would you like FGD to use?

Postby GunChleoc » 03 Oct 2018, 12:18

vBulletin is non-free, so it's not an option here.
GunChleoc

Postby Julius » 03 Oct 2018, 14:16

When Flarum Beta8 comes out in the near future, I will put up a test installation. It's very lightweight on server resources and works great on mobile devices, however it requires javascript.

Edit: Still has some issues but it is up at https://community.freegamedev.net
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete” - Buckminster Fuller
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 05 Dec 2018, 17:08

Just as a heads-up the bug mentioned above has been fixed but the new Flarum Beta8.1. So for now the system is somewhat operational and I will slowly continue working on it. However the general layout is there and you can have a look at it (registrations are disabled for now though). If you click on the "tags" page it gives you a more classical forum view that I have made make the default view for now.

In theory there is also a phpBB import script for Flarum, but unless one of the current tech-admins of this forum can clean up, prepare and send me the database of this forum (will be lots of work) there isn't anything I can do about it. However a new start to get rid of some of the cruft (while keeping the old forums available read only) is probably not a bad idea anyways.
“You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete” - Buckminster Fuller
Julius
Community Moderator