Moderate all submissions to Showcase?

Moderate all submissions to Showcase?

Postby charlie » 27 May 2016, 12:19

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6969

This post skipped the approval process because I approved his introduction post in the thread in the General forum. There was an unapproved duplicate of the above topic that I'd kinda ignored (sometimes if I'm not sure or don't have time to start checking webpages for open source details, I just leave it and hope somebody else does.)

I'm wondering though whether all new submissions to the Showcase forum should be moderated before appearing, so that this shortcut of the moderation process no longer lets people post non-Free games after they have had a simpler post approved elsewhere. Thoughts?
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Re: Moderate all submissions to Showcase?

Postby Akien » 27 May 2016, 12:37

Maybe it could be moderated for users with < 5 posts? I think imposing moderation to all existing forum mumbers for the showcase subforum would be a bit excessive.

Also, I think the root of the issue is that it's not visible enough that we're focusing on free/libre and open source games. Many users likely don't get the reference to the OSI logo in our logo :)
Is there a way we could adjust the forum theme a bit to make that more visible? I don't have specific ideas (apart from renaming everything to LibreGameDev and LibreGamer, hehe), but maybe others have :)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby onpon4 » 27 May 2016, 13:40

I wouldn't be opposed to that.
onpon4

Postby Julius » 31 May 2016, 14:12

I would be against that... I think the current system works, i.e. all those spam posts that don't even bother to read the registration page and post directly can be sorted out as it is right now. The few that get through anyways can be deleted or moved to off-topic.
Adding additional restrictions might turn away some legitimate open-source projects and thus be not very inviting to new developers.

If the legitimate to spam ratio becomes more of a problem we can re-evaluate this :)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby hathor » 10 Jun 2016, 01:54

I would say make it as easy as possible and just delete the rule-breakers. I didn't have 5 posts before I posted my game here; that requirement would have turned me away.
hathor

Postby Taknamay » 13 Jun 2016, 23:46

I agree that unless the spam is overwhelming, it is better just to leave the bar to entry low and delete offenders.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby charlie » 14 Jun 2016, 09:40

Since people are happy with the way things are, no change required! 8)

Democracy? Meritocracy? Common sense? Community? <insert> in action!
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator