Stunt Rally forum closed

Stunt Rally forum closed

Postby Wuzzy » 23 Mar 2016, 08:02

So apparently the Stunt Rally forum has been closed:

Update edit (4 Mar 2016):
Forum is now read only. Development eneded.

viewtopic.php?f=81&t=6563

And indeed it is not possible to reply or add new threads.

I think this was a rude move of CryHam or whoever was responsible for this. Even if Stunt Rally will not be officially developed anymore, there is still plenty of reason for the community to discuss Stunt Rally, post custom tracks to share with others and much more. Please re-open this forum.
If you, CryHam, do not intend to use the forum anymore, that's fine. But please don't prevent others from doing so. It just needs to be clearly announced that there are no official updates to Stunt Rally anymore and maybe mention other things which maybe important, so visitors know any new feature requests are futile. But as I said, there is still plenty of reason to discuss Stunt Rally.
Last edited by Wuzzy on 23 Mar 2016, 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
Wuzzy

Re: Stunt Rally forum closed

Postby Akien » 23 Mar 2016, 08:05

I agree. There's no reason to kill the project even if it's main developer and up-to-now maintainer has no interest anymore. You never know when someone might show up and decide to contribute/take over the maintainership.
But if there's no place to discuss such eventualities, of course, it won't happen.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby charlie » 23 Mar 2016, 11:50

I didn't lock it. I agree, somewhat counter-productive.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 24 Mar 2016, 05:19

It was specifically requested by Cryham and I closed it accordingly. Maybe we should have discussed it before, but generally I see our hosted forums a service to the developers and it is up to them to stop this kind of user support.

I also think that an official project forum that is abandoned by the creator just leads to wrong impressions by the users.

We could open another unofficial forum if there is a great demand, but I guess the current archieve plus our general forums for the rare questions we get should work no?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Akien » 24 Mar 2016, 07:31

I don't know, OpenDungeons was pretty much dead when we took over in 2014, if the forum had been archived as "abandoned game, nothing to see here" I'm not sure we would have been able to really start getting involve and revive it. That's also the question whether a libre game and its community only *belong* to its original developer, or the free software community as a whole.

I don't have a strong opinion though, I don't mean to start contributing to Stunt Rally right now. And I guess (hope) that the GitHub issues are still enabled for bug reports and whatnot.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby charlie » 24 Mar 2016, 13:26

I'm somewhat in agreement that it should be left open. It is a service to the project, not to the developers. A project lives on when a developer abandons it because it is open source.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby andrewj » 25 Mar 2016, 12:57

Perhaps keep the "SR General" forum open but keep the other ones closed.
andrewj

Postby Julius » 25 Mar 2016, 14:59

Hmm, maybe a unofficial forum would do with the old official parts left close? I think we should respect the developers wishes even though I agree that a new fork would have a bit of an easier time with an forum available.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 04 May 2016, 16:50

Re-opened a sub-forum here: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=6906#p68701

Sorry for the delay.
Julius
Community Moderator