Forum structure discussion

Re: Forum structure discussion

Postby charlie » 16 Dec 2009, 13:14

I don't like this solution. Project showcase just isn't visible enough. This isn't just a forum for developers. The purpose is to serve the FOSS game community. (Perhaps I am wrong here and the only person who thinks this.) People who want to solicit feedback on their projects just are not going to get much if it is barely visible. That tiny link is barely visible.

Those tiny links are ok for hosted projects because they will include direct links to their forums anyway.

I am strongly in favour of a 'Project Showcase & Collaboration' forum that is highly visible (top of everything ideally, top of it's section next best) so that there is a stand out focal point for people to come and check out active projects or post about their pride and joy.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Sindwiller » 16 Dec 2009, 15:17

The purpose is to serve the FOSS game community. (Perhaps I am wrong here and the only person who thinks this.) People who want to solicit feedback on their projects just are not going to get much if it is barely visible. That tiny link is barely visible.

No, you are not alone! We'll fight together, side by side! Seriously though, I highly favour this solution:

I am strongly in favour of a 'Project Showcase & Collaboration' forum that is highly visible (top of everything ideally, top of it's section next best) so that there is a stand out focal point for people to come and check out active projects or post about their pride and joy.
My gamedesign blawg!
<remaxim>well, it is called freegamedev... means you develop games for other people for free xD

.Net/Mono is a rabid beast cursed with M$-specific limitations and sh*t. XNA isn't much better. Remember that, kids.
Sindwiller

Postby qubodup » 16 Dec 2009, 16:25

Your points seem valid to me. The structure now is:

Project Showcase & Collaboration (one thread per project)
FreeGameDev
General
Hosted Projects (STK, Steve's, OpenDungeons)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby charlie » 16 Dec 2009, 17:40

There is another thing bothering me.

There are updates in the Libregamewiki forum. It shows there are updates in the 'FreeGameDev & Friends' forum, which Libregamewiki is a child of. There are no updates in the FGD&F forum itself, so I'm clicking on that just to see there is nothing to read, multiple times now. Yes, I could just go in and mark all Libregamewiki threads as read, but this is just going to be a repeat excercise and it'll get annoying to have to do that every time there is a Libregamewiki message.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby charlie » 16 Dec 2009, 18:50

Just to illustrate the point:

1. Looks like there's some new messages! :D
freegamedev_unread.png

2. No, there wasn't. Sad Charlie. :cry:
freegamedev_unread2.png
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 16 Dec 2009, 19:30

What would you suggest? We can
1) Turn the FGD&Friends Forum-category into a only-category and create a "FreeGameDevForums" forum in it (and consequentially the same for FreeGamer, Planet, Wiki... or just a general "FreeGameDev" forum and move the messages there.
2) Move LGW Forum into the "Hosted Projects" category
3) Create a new only-category for FGD/etc forums and put the LGW forum there

I only like solution 1

A forum is something that contains threads/topics, a category is something that contains forums and a forum-category is something that does both.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby charlie » 17 Dec 2009, 12:21

I'd go with something similar to your #1 suggestion.

A FreeGameDev & Friends category with:
1. Forum feedback
2. Blog, wiki, planet
3. Libregamewiki

I'd move the 'introduce yourself' thread to the General forum.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 17 Dec 2009, 13:00

charlie {l Wrote}:1. Forum feedback
2. Blog, wiki, planet
3. Libregamewiki

I applied your suggestion but picked a more general name for the second forum: "FreeGameDev Projects". Do you like the structure?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Sindwiller » 22 Dec 2009, 14:50

Huh, now I'd suppose that, because it's all heavily stacked, people won't notice those forums in particular.
My gamedesign blawg!
<remaxim>well, it is called freegamedev... means you develop games for other people for free xD

.Net/Mono is a rabid beast cursed with M$-specific limitations and sh*t. XNA isn't much better. Remember that, kids.
Sindwiller

Postby Sindwiller » 24 Dec 2009, 13:00

See, nobodoy actually checks this forum anymore :)
My gamedesign blawg!

Sindwiller

Postby charlie » 24 Dec 2009, 14:35

We do. ;)
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby charlie » 13 Mar 2010, 15:30

I updated the description for Project Showcase & Collaboration, since "Project showcase, collaboration, and updates" seemed mostly redundant and people seemed to be missing the point of it too (posting in the introduction thread then asking where to post for help).
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 13 Mar 2010, 16:16

charlie {l Wrote}:I updated the description for Project Showcase & Collaboration, since "Project showcase, collaboration, and updates" seemed mostly redundant and people seemed to be missing the point of it too (posting in the introduction thread then asking where to post for help).

lololol I did the same for the same reason! (I changed "Show off" to "Introduce") I didn´t realize the description was changed.

I don't think descriptions matter too much though, the title should be more obvious...
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby charlie » 13 Mar 2010, 17:17

The title is fine; accurate and concise. Just people somehow miss it, perhaps not quite getting the meaning of collaboration.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 14 Mar 2010, 10:07

One idea: "Showcase" -> "Presentation"

The logic for this is the same as for "Show off" -> "Introduce": "show" is not similar in non-english languages, while "presentation" is nearly the same in German, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian and probably many more.
qubodup
Global Moderator