[HELP] Deleted some posts by chance

[HELP] Deleted some posts by chance

Postby paul424 » 06 Jul 2014, 00:24

By my clumsiness ( and probalbly the inner working of moderation mod ) I deleted a thread when moving post from one thread to another ...
Is there any way of recovering from that ?
I just ordered to move several post from one thread to another, how it could have happened .... ?
paul424
OD Moderator

Re: [data loss] Deleted some posts by chance

Postby paul424 » 06 Jul 2014, 11:46

>_> really this forum makes me cry, if I knew how to do that , I would evacuate our project from here faster than Americans from Saygon.
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby Akien » 06 Jul 2014, 11:50

Tactfulness, here it comes...
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Bertram » 06 Jul 2014, 21:53

Mistakes can happen. Yet, you'd better not spit on the guys that are hosting you. My two cents.

What topic/thread di you lose?
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby charlie » 07 Jul 2014, 12:11

paul424 {l Wrote}:>_> really this forum makes me cry, if I knew how to do that , I would evacuate our project from here faster than Americans from Saygon.

No matter where you go, you will still be there and still be a victim of your own mistakes.

We can't undelete posts afaik. This is a pretty common aspect of forums.

Really you should be more careful.

paul424 95.41.79.28 Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:49 pm Deleted topic “SHOUTBOX [improvised ]” written by paul424
paul424 91.207.69.217 Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:34 pm Deleted post “Re: Survey: What is your computer config ?” written by Bertram
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Akien » 07 Jul 2014, 13:10

charlie {l Wrote}:
paul424 95.41.79.28 Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:49 pm Deleted topic “SHOUTBOX [improvised ]” written by paul424
paul424 91.207.69.217 Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:34 pm Deleted post “Re: Survey: What is your computer config ?” written by Bertram

And correct me if I'm mistaken, but being a moderator means that you have to make sure the forum is used according to the forum rules. It doesn't mean that you can edit what people say so that it fits your own will, neither that you can randomly delete posts that you don't like.

Bertram posted something on your topic "Survey: What is your computer config ?". If I remember correctly, he was asking why you wanted this data, so you quoted him in the first post, kinda answered and deleted the post.
Fair enough, but if you can randomly edit what people say, how can we be sure that what we write in the OD forum will stay as it was meant to be?

I'm not contributing to OD personally for now, but I read the forums and might try to give some feedback and patches here and then. But I don't want you to go and edit my posts in the OD forums so that it fits your personal taste of how the forum should look like, so maybe I should refrain from commenting in the OD forum as long as you're behaving like that. There is no "pollution" in OD threads, if you want something with less interaction, do a wiki.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby charlie » 07 Jul 2014, 14:27

In all honesty, beyond the reasonable expectations of behaviour (no abusive stuff etc), we tend to let each project manage its forums as per their own edict. So if you want to discourage editing of posts etc that's a decision to take for yourselves.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby paul424 » 07 Jul 2014, 15:26

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=5611 , just read what is in first post , second I haven't deleted Bertrams post , but only merged into mine .
paul424
OD Moderator

Postby charlie » 07 Jul 2014, 16:32

paul424 {l Wrote}:I haven't deleted Bertrams post , but only merged into mine .

You seem unaware of the confusing nature of this. You edit posts or remove them but don't realise that other readers then have to navigate a forum that changes in unpredictable ways. For example, you knew you'd merged in Bertram's post but he may have not spotted it, which will confuse him. Or worse, you edited another post of Bertram's and responded in that edit, and the forum won't mark that post as unread for Bertram so he'll never know!

Moderator powers are generally so you can remove/prevent spam (real spam, not somebody giving positive feedback, a common thing which you seem to disapprove of) or so you can reorganise in situations where it improves things. You just pulling posts in whichever direction suits your somewhat scattered perspective is not a particularly good application of your moderator powers.

As I have said before, if you are not editing or deleting posts then you greatly reduce the risk of self inflicted "data loss" such as this one (which you have bizarrely blamed us for).
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Re: [HELP] Deleted some posts by chance

Postby charlie » 07 Jul 2014, 16:34

I have changed the topic to be something less likely to worry other community members since this is not a data loss problem from the perspective of the admins (i.e. we have done nothing to cause harm nor suffered some kind of failure either).
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator