[SOLVED] Forum avatars: Allow PNG

[SOLVED] Forum avatars: Allow PNG

Postby ZeroKnight » 16 Jan 2013, 15:45

I humbly request allowing PNG files to be used as forum avatars, instead of just JPG. It's not a horribly big deal, but it is a little inconvenient for those who prefer PNG to JPG (like myself), and the popular avatar hosting service "Gravatar" uses PNG format (which was also mentioned in this recent thread by charlie).

Not a big thing really, but it would be nice :)
Last edited by ZeroKnight on 18 Jan 2013, 07:36, edited 1 time in total.
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Re: Forum avatars: Allow PNG

Postby qubodup » 16 Jan 2013, 16:47

Please try saving the file name as .png (lowercase), make sure the file size is below the limit, open the file in GIMP and save it as .png to be sure again, please tell us whether any of this fails.

I suspect it's simply the file size cap. Maximum dimensions; width: 120 pixels, height: 80 pixels, file size: 97.66 KiB.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Evropi » 16 Jan 2013, 23:02

phpBB includes support for Gravatar actually, how about that? Actually phpBB is probably second in capability only to vBulletin, which is proprietary, commercial software.

And hey, nothing wrong with a nice SaaS solution like Gravatar! It's brought to you by the team that made WordPress, who are great fans of open source software. It also means you don't have to host the avatars yourself, so you can allow for greater avatar size!
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby qubodup » 17 Jan 2013, 01:37

Not sure what the isse is, if there is one. If the issue is that your default gravatar image is >80px, use ?size=80 to scale it. :)
https://en.gravatar.com/userimage/13777 ... ng?size=80

If this solves it, please edit the first post and add [solved] to it :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby ZeroKnight » 17 Jan 2013, 06:37

When attempting to use the "link off-site" option and using a link to a gravatar image, (even when meeting the size and resolution requirements are met), phpBB returns the following error:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
Image file type mismatch: expected extension jpg but extension png given.

Which is why I assumed that png wasn't allowed to be used.
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Postby charlie » 17 Jan 2013, 13:52

Sounds more like the file is a jpeg but the filename ends .png as opposed to phpbb rejecting the png file type.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby ZeroKnight » 18 Jan 2013, 07:35

It seems gravatar has an odd setup...as I was able to swap *.png with *.jpg and it still loaded the image, and successfully changed my avatar.

Sorry for the confusion guys, you can go ahead and close this :)
ZeroKnight