[solved] One line per hosted project forum? - Forum layout

[solved] One line per hosted project forum? - Forum layout

Postby qubodup » 09 Apr 2010, 01:39

My suggestion is to make the forum take more vertical space and give it to the hosted projects. The result would look like attached image, when using the default skin.

What do you think? Anything that speaks against? The complexity of the OpenDungeons forum is a different topic, in another thread. :p
Attachments
flatter.png
qubodup
Global Moderator

Re: One line per hosted project forum? - Forum layout

Postby Auria » 09 Apr 2010, 02:37

I'm answering as to not leave this unanswered, but really I don't care :P I don't really see the difference in the screenshot you posted, but then I don't use the default theme either so I don't remember what it looks like by default either :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby amuzen » 09 Apr 2010, 03:46

At least it would solve the problem with the activity icon of the OD forums. Currently, the icon remains gray even when there are unread posts in their many subforums. As if it wasn't hard enough to read their forums already.... :p

Anyway, I think it's a good idea, but it looks a bit confusing with the LoS and USF forums having the title in bold and the rest not. It would be better to make the title bold for all of them and use a normal weight font for the names of the subforums, I think. If it's possible, that is.
amuzen
LoS Moderator

Postby hiker » 09 Apr 2010, 03:55

I like it, since it means I have easier access to the STK umbrella forum, so that I can monitor both at once.

Thanks!
Joerg
hiker

Postby svenskmand » 09 Apr 2010, 06:52

I like the forums structure as it is now, I do not think we should change it again. And the activity icon works fine for me. If it does not work it is because of cache faults in the browser, and is fixed by a simple refresh of the page.

But if you can still reach this view from the hosted project list, then it should be alright.
Jamendo.com - The best music store on the net, uses CC licenses.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby adrix89 » 09 Apr 2010, 11:24

Do it!
adrix89

Postby jonan » 09 Apr 2010, 13:45

I like the new proposal, the front page uses very little vertical space, using that space to expand the hosted projects would be great :P

BTW, hello everyone!! This is my first post since the old forum was lost, I hope to be around more regularly now ;-)
jonan

Postby qubodup » 10 Apr 2010, 13:11

svenskmand {l Wrote}:I like the forums structure as it is now, I do not think we should change it again. And the activity icon works fine for me. If it does not work it is because of cache faults in the browser, and is fixed by a simple refresh of the page.

the following is not true for you?
never.png
never.png (7.17 KiB) Viewed 14995 times
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 10 Apr 2010, 13:19

qubodup {l Wrote}:
svenskmand {l Wrote}:I like the forums structure as it is now, I do not think we should change it again. And the activity icon works fine for me. If it does not work it is because of cache faults in the browser, and is fixed by a simple refresh of the page.

the following is not true for you?
never.png

Then it must mean that this happened after you have changed the forum to use sub-forums. Because it did before you did it, I have seen it many times, I am not sure if I have seen it after.
Last edited by svenskmand on 10 Apr 2010, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby qubodup » 10 Apr 2010, 13:21

svenskmand {l Wrote}:Then it must mean that this happened after you have changed the forum to use sub-forums. Because if did before you did it, I have seen it many times, I am not sure if I have seen it after.

I don't understand. Um, what I screenshoted there is the main index page: http://forum.freegamedev.net/

If you have the time, please come to irc ;)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 10 Apr 2010, 13:37

Ok, qubodup and I have confirmed that it does not work on the root page forum.freegamedev.net, but works on the "Hosted Projects" page and down through the OpenDungeons forum. So it must be because of the introduction of the sub-forums as it worked before the introduction of the sub-forums :S
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby qubodup » 10 Apr 2010, 13:47

svenskmand {l Wrote}:So it must be because of the introduction of the sub-forums as it worked before the introduction of the sub-forums :S

yepp!
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 10 Apr 2010, 14:11

Let's brainstorm a little more!

Since the dev forums are by far less used than project forums, why not make them compressed? how about the following?
comm.png

amuzen {l Wrote}:Anyway, I think it's a good idea, but it looks a bit confusing with the LoS and USF forums having the title in bold and the rest not. It would be better to make the title bold for all of them and use a normal weight font for the names of the subforums, I think. If it's possible, that is.

You're right. Also the moderator info is kind of annoying, how about:
hosted.png
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 10 Apr 2010, 14:40

qubodup {l Wrote}:... how about:
hosted.png

I like it :) But it think we should also fix the notification bug. I get e-mail notifications for the top level of the OD forum, and I am not sure if it works because of the notification bug :S
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby jonan » 10 Apr 2010, 15:48

qubodup {l Wrote}:Since the dev forums are by far less used than project forums, why not make them compressed?

I don't find this necessary, there's plenty of vertical space, but I wouldn't mind if it was done.

qubodup {l Wrote}:
amuzen {l Wrote}:Anyway, I think it's a good idea, but it looks a bit confusing with the LoS and USF forums having the title in bold and the rest not. It would be better to make the title bold for all of them and use a normal weight font for the names of the subforums, I think. If it's possible, that is.

You're right. Also the moderator info is kind of annoying, how about:
hosted.png

This looks really great, go for it ;)
jonan

Postby svenskmand » 15 Apr 2010, 20:47

qubodup: is it going with the bug fix?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby qubodup » 16 Apr 2010, 01:29

svenskmand {l Wrote}:I get e-mail notifications for the top level of the OD forum, and I am not sure if it works because of the notification bug :S

I don't understand this, sorry. Please rephrase.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 16 Apr 2010, 09:45

I have subscribed to e-mail notifications when there are new posts in the OD forum, but I do not get them anymore, I and suspect that it is due to the notification bug in the forum.
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby qubodup » 16 Apr 2010, 11:11

The forum has been tampered with.

svenskmand {l Wrote}:I have subscribed to e-mail notifications when there are new posts in the OD forum, but I do not get them anymore, I and suspect that it is due to the notification bug in the forum.

I see. Well, I turned the OD 'forum' into a category now, as it was supposed to be (it was a forum because it was the only way to have that link to it) and now it seems to be impossible to subscribe to it. If I understand correctly it is also a feature, not to subscribe to subforums, when subscribing to a forum. You can try using http://www.feedmyinbox.com/ in combination with the feed of the OD category or subscribe to the individual subforums.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 16 Apr 2010, 13:50

Now I cannot even find this thread anymore :S (I could only make this post by browsing my own posts to find this thread :S)

And I cannot subscribe to the root of OpenDungeons which is this page viewforum.php?f=15

qubodup {l Wrote}:The forum has been tampered with.
svenskmand {l Wrote}:I have subscribed to e-mail notifications when there are new posts in the OD forum, but I do not get them anymore, I and suspect that it is due to the notification bug in the forum.

I see. Well, I turned the OD 'forum' into a category now, as it was supposed to be (it was a forum because it was the only way to have that link to it) and now it seems to be impossible to subscribe to it. If I understand correctly it is also a feature, not to subscribe to subforums, when subscribing to a forum. You can try using http://www.feedmyinbox.com/ in combination with the feed of the OD category or subscribe to the individual subforums.

I do not see how "not getting notifications for sub-forums" can be a feature :S

Also please rename "Player Talk" to "Misc Player" so it is consistent with "Misc Dev".
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby Skorpio » 16 Apr 2010, 16:15

I like the new layout. Now I can see all OD threads (dev and player) at once.
Skorpio
OD Moderator

Postby qubodup » 16 Apr 2010, 20:48

Skorpio {l Wrote}:I like the new layout. Now I can see all OD threads (dev and player) at once.

also you can see all the treads in the root OD category!
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 16 Apr 2010, 21:50

svenskmand {l Wrote}:Now I cannot even find this thread anymore :S (I could only make this post by browsing my own posts to find this thread :S)

And I cannot subscribe to the root of OpenDungeons which is this page viewforum.php?f=15

I do not see how "not getting notifications for sub-forums" can be a feature :S

Also please rename "Player Talk" to "Misc Player" so it is consistent with "Misc Dev".

1. This thread was global, because it would affect every user. After doing what I wanted to discuss, I just de-globalized it and put it into forums feedback.

2. Yeah, it seems the installed version does not support email subscription to categories. Really weird imho. You will have to subscribe to each forum individually I guess :|

3. Hmm, I was wrong, I misread this ticket. http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/ticket ... t_id=54285 . It´s strange that it´s not possible to subscribe to categories.

4. Will do
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby svenskmand » 18 Apr 2010, 18:46

qubodup {l Wrote}:2. Yeah, it seems the installed version does not support email subscription to categories. Really weird imho. You will have to subscribe to each forum individually I guess :|

3. Hmm, I was wrong, I misread this ticket. http://www.phpbb.com/bugs/phpbb3/ticket ... t_id=54285 . It´s strange that it´s not possible to subscribe to categories.

So will subscribtion of categories be supported in the near future then?
svenskmand
OD Moderator

Postby qubodup » 18 Apr 2010, 20:19

svenskmand {l Wrote}:So will subscribtion of categories be supported in the near future then?

I guess not. The feed subscription seems to work though. If newer versions of phpbb will support category mail subscriptions and we will update (you'll need to kick me in the butt a little, since every update means testing the skin ;) ) then it will be featured. Best thing for you is to find out if phpbb supports category subscriptions at all and request it if it does not.
qubodup
Global Moderator