[rejected] Post 'like' button

[rejected] Post 'like' button

Postby charlie » 09 Sep 2011, 01:41

No, not facebook integration *slap*

Just a 'like' button so we can say we like things... perhaps get a 'popular posts' feed...

There be a mod in development here: http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=2113726
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Re: Post 'like' button

Postby Tranberry » 09 Sep 2011, 01:45

/like
I agree with Q until I post differently.
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 09 Sep 2011, 12:48

+1
Not that I particulary like the idea of "community gurus" etc, but I once saw a forum with an option of "like or dislike" this comment , and the results where then aggregated into a sort of community reputation score (which showed if you clicked on it also who supported you exactly).
Might be a good way to find community admins for subforums or game servers in the future also.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Tranberry » 09 Sep 2011, 12:50

To elaborate, I think this is a good way for us lazy people to show support.
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby qubodup » 09 Sep 2011, 13:35

So do we like people or threads or posts or all of them?

I definitely oppose negative feedback/dislike buttons.

By the way, http://stackoverflow.com/ is a social game: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-stgHCOA4J8#t=250
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 09 Sep 2011, 15:36

I would say posts, and then a number of liked posts (e.g. reputation) in the user part on the right side.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Tranberry » 09 Sep 2011, 16:59

I agree with you both, on the different topics. Q on the no dislike button, and Julius on the posts-like ...
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 10 Sep 2011, 00:39

Me too
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby qreeves » 12 Sep 2011, 12:13

I 'like' this idea too. Good for community spirit, and quite often in our forums a lot of people want to respond but only really want to "+1".
Quinton "quin" Reeves | Lead Developer, Red Eclipse | http://redeclipse.net/ | http://www.facebook.com/redeclipse.net
qreeves

Postby qubodup » 20 Sep 2011, 13:31

I would like to avoid phpbb mods. Maintenance you know.

Are there phpbb experts here who can advise on the risks of installing mods, especially when a forum intends to stay up to date with phpbb updates?

I tired adding the google +1 button on a local copy. It slows down a thread's loading time quite a bit. Also I'm not sure +1 supports "upping" different web pages that only differ in URL but not in html content (two links to two different posts on the same thread page).
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Tranberry » 21 Sep 2011, 23:05

Adding google+ is a lot heavier than some like feature that just stores numbers in the local database. But then again I'm neither a phpBB guru nor database wizard..

I still think this feature is a needed one.
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby mdwh » 25 Sep 2011, 22:13

I fear that "like" buttons just turn it into a popularity contest. If one has something to add, they should post and explain why.

Showing people's number of liked posts isn't really a reliable indicator of how good they are.
mdwh

Postby Arthur » 25 Sep 2011, 22:26

+1 ;)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Tranberry » 26 Sep 2011, 12:57

mdwh: true. I still say it's a needed feature.

Most people won't comment on anything anyway. Look at the members of this forum and then look at their post count, I don't think most of them will use the 'like features' but I'm sure some will. For me it's more the matter that I tend to agree with the likes of charlie, qubodup and julius, making my comment redundant or worse repetitive.
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby qubodup » 26 Sep 2011, 14:28

I have doubts. Do we just want a number to appear next to posts or do we want this forum to be like reddit or g+?

When we find a +1 extension, it will probably not have a 'sort by popularity' feature and the +1 action will probably do a page reload, rather than smooth javascript execution.

I will not investigate from scratch. Think about what exact features you want to add to FGDForum and then investigate what extensions can bring them.

Would creating a Reddit group be an alternative solution?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Tranberry » 26 Sep 2011, 14:47

I would like the simplest possible like/+1 feature that is possible, just a little counter on the post/comment telling how many people "liked/+1" it.

Voting is just to show how retarded we people are en mass
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 26 Sep 2011, 17:13

This could be the mod we are looking for:
http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/thanks_for_posts/
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby qubodup » 27 Sep 2011, 00:41

Tranberry {l Wrote}:I would like the simplest possible like/+1 feature that is possible, just a little counter on the post/comment telling how many people "liked/+1" it.

Is there a consensus on this?

Do we need no features at all like notification about votes received, sort-by-amount-of-votes, a list of top-voted posts, a summary of the sum of all votes in a thread next to its title in the forum list?

Because if we do, we should know before implementing/installing anything.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby sireus » 27 Sep 2011, 17:17

qubodup {l Wrote}:Do we need no features at all like notification about votes received, sort-by-amount-of-votes, a list of top-voted posts, a summary of the sum of all votes in a thread next to its title in the forum list?

I'd say no. For one, such features might (or rather, definitely will, to a degree) incite "thanks-whoring". Also, who actually needs them? Reading only posts with a certain vote count obviously doesn't work (you can't follow the thread), and sorting by thread... that maybe, but not really useful either. As for notifications - well, I get enough spam already :P
As most people here already said, it should be just a quick way of saying "I agree", not some sort of reputation system.
sireus

Postby ZeroKnight » 14 Nov 2011, 18:56

charlie {l Wrote}:This could be the mod we are looking for:

Beat me to it. I was Co-Founder of a forum that at one point ran phpBB, and my buddy's site currently uses it, and that was probably the mod we used. There's a few clones, and it's been too long for me to pinpoint which was used.

I think it's a neat little thing. Just another way to know how much support you got, or if a "clever" joke of yours was actually worth a chuckle, etc. And you can always use the amount of thanks as proof your e-peen is bigger than everyone else.

However, I do agree with sireus on that it can be used as just a lame, quick way to agree, and that could possibly lead to not posting anything of merit.

[EDIT]
As far as I know, there are no IPB-style reputation mods for phpBB, though I could be wrong. Don't have the time to scour the net ATM
[ Github ][ WazuClan -- irc.wazuclan.com #wazuclan ][ Zero's Archive of RE Extensions, Scripts, WeapMods & More! ]
ZeroKnight

Postby KIAaze » 18 Nov 2011, 11:00

ZeroKnight {l Wrote}:
charlie {l Wrote}:However, I do agree with sireus on that it can be used as just a lame, quick way to agree, and that could possibly lead to not posting anything of merit.

Is just posting "I agree" posting something of merit? I mean, it helps getting an idea of how popular and idea is, but so would a like/dislike information.
A like button avoids such simple posts and also makes it easy to quickly see which ideas a lot of people agree with.
The drawback is that you might not see who agrees with something and you loose the advantage of "pushing threads up" through simple agree/disagree posts (although people can still post if they want to do something like that on purpose).
KIAaze

Postby Tranberry » 18 Nov 2011, 13:00

continuing on that thought, a like button would mean less reading of threads that don't really have been 'updated' with a comment.
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 19 Nov 2011, 16:17

Tranberry {l Wrote}:continuing on that thought, a like button would mean less reading of threads that don't really have been 'updated' with a comment.

Like!
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 03 Jan 2012, 22:43

Liking will be fun!
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Tranberry » 17 Jan 2012, 16:39

Just a bump with a link to a possible mod:
Tranberry
Community Moderator