Forum Outage. It is back online.

Forum Outage. It is back online.

Postby hagish » 17 Jun 2020, 21:00

A MySQL upgrade did not went as planned. We are now back to the old MySQL version. We will continue to investigate how we can upgrade without break think.
But for now the forum is back online.
It might go down for a shorter duration during the next days because one of the disks in the raid is starting to cause errors. We need to replace it.
hagish
Global Moderator

Re: Forum Outage. It is back online.

Postby Julius » 17 Jun 2020, 21:11

Great! Thanks for fixing it. Sorry to hear that there are troubles with the MySQL version. Maybe the forum itself also needs an update for it to work with newer MySQL versions?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby hagish » 17 Jun 2020, 21:14

We tried to move from 5. to 8. and this phpbb did not work with the 8. It would need to use a newer php version which itself probably means to upgrade to a recent phpbb version. So maybe we run 5. and 8. and figure out a way to migrate the pages that require 5. We will see.
hagish
Global Moderator

Postby smcameron » 18 Jun 2020, 00:33

one of the disks in the raid is starting to cause errors. We need to replace it.

As someone who once upon a time worked on drivers for hardware RAID controllers and as someone who was once a system admin who stayed up all night restoring from tapes when a RAID rebuild did not go so well... I really hope you have a backup plan in case the RAID rebuild does not go so well.
smcameron

Postby freem » 18 Jun 2020, 02:35

I just want to thank you for the work. Can't do much more, but still: than you.
freem
BN Moderator

Postby GunChleoc » 20 Jun 2020, 09:50

Check if the forum uses mysql or mysqli as a backend. mysql will not work with modern versions of PHP and is too vulnerable against SQL injection.

If you want to upgrade the forum software, it will have to be done in incremental steps, because it is so old. Take it from one major version to the next with a corresponding php/mysql update. (e.g. upgrade to the latest version of phpBB2, then upgrade to phpBB 3.0, then phpBB 3.1, phpBB 3.2, with a matching corresponding php/mysql upgrade for each step).

Do you have any mods? I could help with finding replacements. E.g. for the links on top, you could use the "Buttons Menu" extension.
GunChleoc

Postby ffaf » 22 Jun 2020, 19:51

I will post here too just to document the issue. tl;dr:
- go here: https://forum.freegamedev.net/memberlis ... ile&u=7078 ;
- click on «search user’s post»;
- you get some weird SQL error.

This happens whether I am logged in or not.
ffaf

Postby hagish » 24 Jun 2020, 16:39

Ok so now the broken disk in the raid got replaced and the raid is synchronizing it. During that period the page is probably slow.
hagish
Global Moderator

Postby benau » 05 Jul 2020, 01:41

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysqli ]

Expression #1 of ORDER BY clause is not in SELECT list, references column 'fgd_phpbb.p.post_time' which is not in SELECT list; this is incompatible with DISTINCT [3065]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.

I cannot search any post...
benau
STK Moderator

Postby hagish » 08 Jul 2020, 18:36

I will try to take a look as soon as I have the time. I will keep this thread updated.
hagish
Global Moderator