[deprecated] Beginner section

[deprecated] Beginner section

Postby gordebak » 29 Jan 2011, 12:57

I don't know if this is mentioned before, but if there was a Beginner section somewhere (i.e. under Programming), it'd be great. Just an idea. People could post links to tutorials or like that.
gordebak
MnMS Moderator

Re: Beginner section

Postby Edward_Lii » 29 Jan 2011, 14:20

Hello gordebak,

gordebak {l Wrote}:I don't know if this is mentioned before, but if there was a Beginner section somewhere (i.e. under Programming), it'd be great. Just an idea. People could post links to tutorials or like that.

I don't think it should fit in the forums.
Maybe it's better if such section would be added to the FGDWiki?
From,
Edward_Lii
Edward_Lii
MnMS Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 29 Jan 2011, 14:49

People check updates to a forum more regularly than to the wiki.. However, I don't think any of the forums are busy enough to justify further subdivision
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby Sindwiller » 29 Jan 2011, 14:50

gordebak {l Wrote}:I don't know if this is mentioned before, but if there was a Beginner section somewhere (i.e. under Programming), it'd be great. Just an idea. People could post links to tutorials or like that.

I don't think that's really necessary, since we don't mind beginners posting their questions in the appropriate forum :) A beginner's guide in the Wiki wouldn't be a bad idea though.
My gamedesign blawg!
<remaxim>well, it is called freegamedev... means you develop games for other people for free xD

.Net/Mono is a rabid beast cursed with M$-specific limitations and sh*t. XNA isn't much better. Remember that, kids.
Sindwiller

Postby gordebak » 29 Jan 2011, 14:55

I've seen more newbie questions regarding game development in Ubuntu forums. If forums were more newbie friendly, people could find these forums more easily, say while searching for programming languages or tutorials.

Beginners shouldn't shy away from asking questions like "what programming language to learn" or "what do you use for game development" or "where to begin"

Just my 2 cents.
gordebak
MnMS Moderator

Postby gordebak » 29 Jan 2011, 15:14

For example, this is the second link on google if I search "beginning game development linux".
gordebak
MnMS Moderator

Postby Sindwiller » 29 Jan 2011, 17:37

Maybe a stickied "BEGINNERS" thread would help. I agree with TheAncientGoat though, our community simply hasn't gained that much momentum to justify measures like this, which would make forum structure even more complex.
My gamedesign blawg!
<remaxim>well, it is called freegamedev... means you develop games for other people for free xD

.Net/Mono is a rabid beast cursed with M$-specific limitations and sh*t. XNA isn't much better. Remember that, kids.
Sindwiller

Postby Jastiv » 15 Mar 2011, 01:37

I think a big problem with these forums is how difficult they are for new developers to find. I would have loved to hear about them years ago, back in 2006 or 2007 when I started my project. I only managed to find them because of google. I was looking hard for free software game development forums.
Jastiv

Postby TheAncientGoat » 15 Mar 2011, 15:22

Yeah, we need a bit of a publicity drive
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby oln » 15 Mar 2011, 15:36

I think something like a portal or page with a nice description of how to get into FOSS game development. Currently the different parts of this site feel very disconnected.
A more unified site, e.g the blog, forums and wikis sharing a header and footer, and a somewhat similar skin would in my opinion make the site less confusing.
oln

Postby TheAncientGoat » 15 Mar 2011, 17:24

Oln: Er, they do? The same header bar is on most of the sites, except for the wiki (which does make a nice portal page, but anyhow ;)
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby TheAncientGoat » 15 Mar 2011, 17:24

Oln: Er, they do? The same header bar is on most of the sites, except for the wiki (which does make a nice portal page, but anyhow ;)
TheAncientGoat
Community Moderator

Postby oln » 15 Mar 2011, 17:34

It is small, and looks different on all the pages it appears.
oln