OpenWerewolf- Online multiplayer werewolf game

OpenWerewolf- Online multiplayer werewolf game

Postby jcraster » 03 Aug 2018, 21:26

About:

OpenWerewolf is a multiplayer werewolf game played in the browser, for 3+ players. Site: https://www.openwerewolf.com
Motivation: I love multiplayer deception games and wanted an open, modifiable platform to write them on.

Edit: There are two game modes:
'Classic' is a traditional mafia/werewolf game like town of salem. for 7+ players.
'OneDay' is a game based off of one night werewolf, for 3+ players.
The mode can be chosen when you create a game.

Edit: new graphical mode:
Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 10.54.01.png

Edit: the old text mode:
Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 21.00.02.png

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 20.54.55.png

Features:

- A complete lobby system with lobby chat, starting
new games, choosing between games,
registering/logging in.

- OpenWerewolf isn't just a site, it's an
engine: you can write your own games too.

Roadmap:

- More roles in classic mode
- Ranked and private matches
- Graphical interface for games (if I can get art help)

Key contributions:

ART: I can't draw at all, so I'd be incredibly grateful for art contributions like:
- I really need a logo for the project.
- We need to talk through what else is needed, as the game is currently-text based.

DEV: Things on the roadmap. It would be great if people want to write their own games in the engine too.

Licensing: the engine is Apache-2.0, the games are AGPL-3.0.
All art stuff so far is libre.

Repo:
https://github.com/JamesCraster/OpenWerewolf

What do you think? If you have any questions, I'll be happy to answer them.
Last edited by jcraster on 28 Oct 2018, 23:24, edited 9 times in total.
jcraster

Re: OpenWerewolf - Online multiplayer werewolf game

Postby Magellan » 04 Aug 2018, 04:42

Seems cool! :) I don't usually play deception games, but I know a few people who are really into that game Town of Salem, so I'll let them know about OpenWerewolf, since it seems pretty similar.

As for the art, have you checked out OpenGameArt.org? There is quite a bit of art that is freely available to use there, under free culture licenses. I don't know what art style you are thinking of going with, but maybe this wolf image could be adapted into a logo?

EDIT: You mention in the readme for OpenWerewolf-Core that "Artwork, music, logos and fonts may be proprietary". Is this referring to the games that others might make with OpenWerewolf?
YouTube page (mostly Gentoo videos): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8F_ci ... voRGQR-fMQ |/| Homepage: https://hmagellan.com
Magellan

Postby jcraster » 04 Aug 2018, 08:43

Magellan {l Wrote}:Seems cool! :) I don't usually play deception games, but I know a few people who are really into that game Town of Salem, so I'll let them know about OpenWerewolf, since it seems pretty similar.

As for the art, have you checked out OpenGameArt.org? There is quite a bit of art that is freely available to use there, under free culture licenses. I don't know what art style you are thinking of going with, but maybe this wolf image could be adapted into a logo?

EDIT: You mention in the readme for OpenWerewolf-Core that "Artwork, music, logos and fonts may be proprietary". Is this referring to the games that others might make with OpenWerewolf?

Thanks, that would be great!

I have, and to be honest I don't think the art there will help me in my particular case.
The issue is, in order to play the game you need ~7 people.
(Edit: I should clarify there is another game mode playable with 3+ people, but that's not the main game.)
That's a considerable activation energy. In order to interest users I need something marketable/shareable. And I think that needs something more polished and consistent, artwise. And the only way I can think to acheive that is with (at least a little) custom art. https://www.secrethitler.io is an inspiration for me, and they could use the incredible artwork from the Secret Hitler boardgame. (Edit: of course, I don't need quite that level of polish, I was just pointing out how important I think art is.)

Am I wrong about this? The feedback I'm generally getting is (put more politely than this) is that the game is kind of ugly and bland. And I'm not sure how to fix it, as I cannot draw.

Yes. There are currently no proprietary assets and I'm against adding any, personally.
For someone else's game to go on the site I'd definitely require the code to be libre, but I don't mind about assets so long as I have been given the rights to use them.
Last edited by jcraster on 01 Oct 2018, 16:34, edited 3 times in total.
jcraster

Postby jcraster » 05 Aug 2018, 10:16

I've been working on a graphical mode, I think it looks better already:

Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 10.13.30.png
jcraster

Postby c_xong » 05 Aug 2018, 12:35

it would be cool if you can incorporate AI players. Looks like there are some open source bots available, but I don't know how good they are.
c_xong

Postby jcraster » 05 Aug 2018, 13:35

I don't have any experience in writing bots. I'd find it interesting stuff, but it would be more technically difficult than rest of the game.

The play often revolves around behavioural reads like the tone of someone's messages, who someone else trusts or doesn't trust, etc. I don't think bots could replicate that experience.

Using the engine I have I could build any kind of multiplayer text-based game, and I'm sure there are interesting games I could build that would support bots and would be playable with fewer people. I'm trying to brainstorm right now, idk if you guys have any ideas? It would probably be an adaptation of another board or card game.

My impression is that there are lots of players interested in games like these, provided the game is good enough, so I'm going to keep going with what I have now in the meantime.
jcraster

Postby eugeneloza » 05 Aug 2018, 17:58

Ugh... and what a "deception game" is? I've tried to search the Internet, but found nothing relevant (only some movie). I have a guess, but I bet you have a better explanation. Also I'm not familiar with Werewolf game. I think it is similar to Mafia or MouseHunt we've played with friends, but a filled "ABOUT" section of the site with a short FAQ on what this game is about and what are the rules would be very cool :)
eugeneloza

Postby jcraster » 05 Aug 2018, 20:44

I think what I meant to say was 'game featuring/about deception' :)
Yes, werewolf is a synonym for mafia. They're the same game.

Thanks, you're very right about the 'about' page. All the code used to be in one repo (now called OpenWerewolf-Releases) and that's where I left the 'about' page. I forgot to copy it into the two new repos. I'm going to do that ASAP (and add it to the site itself, too!)

For now, you can see the 'about' here:
https://github.com/JamesCraster/OpenWerewolf-Releases
Edit: I've realised it isn't as much as I remembered, see my summary below, I'll fix this soon.

In short, I wrote:
a) A One night-werewolf style game (that's 3+ people.) If you've ever played one night werewolf, then you know the rules.
b) A mafia style game. Actually the theme is even mafia... there is a cop, doctor, vigilante and mafioso currently. I can add new roles very quickly, but have prioritised improving the lobby/client etc.
jcraster