Freerails

Freerails

Postby Trilarion » 16 Mar 2018, 18:58

FreeRails is a very old project and started as an open source version of the RailRoad Tycoon I and II games already in 2000 on Sourceforge. However, in 2008, the development more or less stopped. The game was in an intermediate state with track and station building, trains running, but without fancy graphics or AI opponents.

FreeRails has not yet been featured on this board.

At the end of the last year I decided to revive the project if possible. I took the open source code from Sourceforge and put it on Github and started cleaning it up. The advantage of being written in Java for the project was that it kind of builds and runs right out of the box even after such a long time. Of course one cannot deny that the graphics style is at least 10 years old and the code base also is quite complex. It takes some time to get into it, even though I try to make it considerably easier.

Here is a screenshot of the actual state:

freerails-0-4-1-main-screen.jpg
v0.4.1 Main Game Screen

Of course, it being an open source game project, any help in the development is highly appreciated. The plan is to finish the game with a more modern 2D graphics style using JavaFx and a stable, efficient game engine with similar features to RailRoad I&II and worthy AI opponents, so it can be played single-player or multi-player.

Code license: GPL-3.0

Important links

Trilarion

Re: Freerails

Postby charlie » 17 Mar 2018, 23:43

I'm very interested in this as a big fan of the original Railroad Tycoon (even played a bit of RTII the other day).

The issue (already communicated to the developer) is getting it to build in Eclipse. I guess I could try another IDE? What's your recommendation?
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Trilarion » 18 Mar 2018, 18:30

I use IntelliJ but the differences aren't really significant, you can use Eclipse or Netbeans or any other Java IDE just as well.

The project uses gradle as build system which makes it IDE independent. I just checked that Eclipse can import the project as Gradle project and build and run the game. To make it as easy as possible, I will add a few instructions for that in the main readme file soon.
Trilarion

Postby Trilarion » 19 Mar 2018, 19:04

Trilarion