Yorg

Yorg

Postby flavio » 29 Jun 2017, 18:03

Hi! I would like to introduce our project, Yorg. It is an open source racing game for Windows, OSX and Linux. It is developed using Panda3D and it is programmed in Python. We're using Bullet for the physics. We're using Blender and GIMP for the graphics.

You can find more info about the project on its page.

You can find project's source here (GPL, CC BY-SA).

You can find project's builds here: GameJolt, itch.io, IndieDB.

Here is a screenshot:

Here is the trailer.

We've just released the version 0.6, here is the announcement.

It is my first open source project, so excuse me if there is anything wrong!

Thank you!
flavio

Re: Yorg

Postby Julius » 30 Jun 2017, 00:16

That is awesome! I really like where this seems to be going.

But besides that... did someone hack your website with Ad banners? I can hardly see the content under all those overlays.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Lyberta » 30 Jun 2017, 02:00

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 07:16, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Imerion » 30 Jun 2017, 11:51

Oh, this looks super fun and really well made! Awesome project, will try once I'm on my computer.
Try my games! : My Games - Read my FOSS Games Blog! : Free Game News
Imerion

Postby flavio » 30 Jun 2017, 17:26

Julius {l Wrote}:That is awesome! I really like where this seems to be going.

Imerion {l Wrote}:Oh, this looks super fun and really well made! Awesome project, will try once I'm on my computer.

Thank you very much for your kind words! :)

Julius {l Wrote}:I can hardly see the content under all those overlays.

Lyberta {l Wrote}:That will surely give a bad impression.

Whoops, I am sorry, I've fixed that. Thank you for pointing that out! :)
flavio

Postby Duion » 04 Jul 2017, 19:45

Why don't you use a modern game engine, you could have much better graphics.
Duion

Postby flavio » 04 Jul 2017, 22:35

Panda3D offers several "modern" features. Definitely, it doesn't bound graphics' quality of its projects. In a future release I will focus on improving graphics' quality by writing some shaders that hopefully will give better visuals of the game. :)
flavio

Postby Duion » 04 Jul 2017, 22:57

If you would use Torque3D and you have some good art skills your game could look like that for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EALQfYCdy_g
Duion

Postby charlie » 05 Jul 2017, 10:36

Apologies @flavio. I have warned Duion repeatedly. He's skirting with a ban for this kind of trolling.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Duion » 05 Jul 2017, 11:13

It is not trolling, it is showing you what is possible, if you use the best technology available and have some skill in art.
This is what you should aim for. I can even give you estimates how long it would take to rebuild art like that, assuming you have the game code done: The estimated time period for such a level for me would be one month including creating assets, or two to three months if I am lazy and not work fulltime.
Duion

Postby Julius » 05 Jul 2017, 20:54

@Duion: Please do a bit of research (as others have said). Panda3D is actually one of those engines you are talking about: very well featured and with several commercial titles and professional applications build with it (it is or at least used to be the in-house game engine of Disney). It also supports some really modern graphics if you know how to do it, see:
https://www.panda3d.org/forums/viewtopi ... =6&t=17050
In fact, except for the editor, it is probably the better engine than Torque3D.

Yorg is a very cool start for a project, but of course the graphics could be better. But in this case it really isn't the engine but rather art and style limitations I would say.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 05 Jul 2017, 22:33

The graphics are very good. I am impressed with it. The main issue is more the physics - controlling the cars is a bit hard.

Just because a game is not AAA quality with its graphics does not mean it deserves criticism. I like the style and think it is a very good standard for what seems to be the first game this team has produced.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Duion » 05 Jul 2017, 22:35

[deleted, user banned - admin]
Duion

Postby GunChleoc » 06 Jul 2017, 13:28

My computer isn't powerful enough to test this one, but I noticed something: I'd put the brake/reverse on the arrow_down key, because:

1. It is easier to learn
2. Y and Z are swapped on a German keyboard, making the standard key binding very unergonomic

If you want player to be able to use both hands, maybe the space bar would work instead?
GunChleoc

Postby leilei » 07 Jul 2017, 06:40

Ignore all "switch to engine X" posts and keep going. Graphical fidelity isn't everything.
leilei

Postby flavio » 07 Jul 2017, 07:13

Julius {l Wrote}:Yorg is a very cool start for a project, but of course the graphics could be better. But in this case it really isn't the engine but rather art and style limitations I would say.

Thanks! :) I agree with you: the art could be improved. Indeed, writing some shaders to make it better is on our roadmap. :) We're focusing more on gameplay's stuff now since I would prefer waiting for Panda3D 1.10 since it should improve shaders' support, so it will be simpler to get results (and, meanwhile, I implement other stuff). I also agree about the art and style limitations: what a (good) engine should do is "simply" to get assets from the program and send them to the video card - so, if the art is not good then the culprit is not the engine, typically.

charlie {l Wrote}:The graphics are very good. I am impressed with it. The main issue is more the physics - controlling the cars is a bit hard.

Just because a game is not AAA quality with its graphics does not mean it deserves criticism. I like the style and think it is a very good standard for what seems to be the first game this team has produced.

Thanks! What you see are the models built by our modeler, I "only" applied Panda3D's automatic shaders for adding shadows and gloss maps.

As for the physics, I'm using Bullet, and I'm learning it as I develop the game. I am going to focus on the driving model in the near future, I hope that I can improve it. :)

Actually, this is my second game (the first one was a simple puzzle game), but it is my first racing game, and it is the first game for the other guys in the team. Specifically, it is the first game for the artist (even if he's also working on other projects now, but Yorg is his first project). He's a self-taught Blender modeler and he's learning by doing. He's also making the entire texturing. So, I am very happy for his results (I like his graphics so far :) ), and I am sure that he will increase his skills working on this game (as he's already doing).

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:My computer isn't powerful enough to test this one, but I noticed something: I'd put the brake/reverse on the arrow_down key, because:

1. It is easier to learn
2. Y and Z are swapped on a German keyboard, making the standard key binding very unergonomic

If you want player to be able to use both hands, maybe the space bar would work instead?

Hi! I am sorry for your performances. After the relese I've improved an algorithm which performs better (I save 2ms for each frame now). Moreover, I've added an option for disabling shaders (in the Option menu), which should increase performances as well. These modifications will be in the next release. If you don't want to wait for the next release, you can download an unstable build from here - please download the unstable nointernet version for your system, the other builds are deprecated. NB They are unstable builds, we're not testing them as we do with the released ones, so they may not work.

As for the keyboard, thanks, I've changed the default setting. Please note, if you want to change it on a non-vanilla installation, you could change the setting going to Options / Configure Input, so you can configure the keyboard as you prefer. Anyway, if you want to propose a different default configuration (the current one is here, button is a bad name for weapon - I'll change it), please tell me and we may change it following your suggestions. :)

leilei {l Wrote}:Ignore all "switch to engine X" posts and keep going. Graphical fidelity isn't everything.

Oh, sure! Moreover, switching to another engine wouldn't increase graphics' quality. :) And Panda3D offers a lot of features that the game is benefiting of. Thanks!
flavio

Postby GunChleoc » 11 Jul 2017, 13:52

I grabbed 0.6.0-9794f14 and there was no shader option yet. Ping me again if you want some more testing done.

BTW the Windows uninstaller will leave the start menu folder behind.
GunChleoc

Postby flavio » 11 Jul 2017, 23:04

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:I grabbed 0.6.0-9794f14 and there was no shader option yet.

Yes, I've added that option after your message i.e. after 0.6's release. :) This is why I linked our Buildbot page, it contains new (untested) builds.

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:Ping me again if you want some more testing done.

Thanks! :) If you are curious and want to check if disabling shaders improves your performances, you can download a new build. Anyway, Panda3D's developers have made some great improvements that should give a performance boost, but we need to wait for their release for deploying them.

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:BTW the Windows uninstaller will leave the start menu folder behind.

Oh, I'm sorry, I've just tested it and on my system the start menu folder is correctly removed. So, I can't replicate the issue. :( I've checked the NSIS installer that I wrote and it seems that the removal of that folder is correctly defined. I'll investigate it, thanks for reporting!
flavio

Postby GunChleoc » 12 Jul 2017, 10:35

The build I downloaded was from the buildbot, so I guess I need to wait a few days for the buildbot to actually build something.

Maybe I should wait with further testing for the new Panda release, since even the countdown before the race starts is seriously slow.

I always choose a custom Start Menu folder for installing games, maybe NSIS has a problem with that?
GunChleoc

Postby flavio » 13 Jul 2017, 18:11

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:I always choose a custom Start Menu folder for installing games, maybe NSIS has a problem with that?

Thanks! I didn't try with a custom folder. I've checked in a fix, thank you once more!
flavio

Postby GunChleoc » 14 Jul 2017, 09:09

You're very much welcome :)
GunChleoc

Postby c_xong » 18 Jul 2017, 03:11

flavio {l Wrote}:As for the keyboard, thanks, I've changed the default setting. Please note, if you want to change it on a non-vanilla installation, you could change the setting going to Options / Configure Input, so you can configure the keyboard as you prefer. Anyway, if you want to propose a different default configuration (the current one is here, button is a bad name for weapon - I'll change it), please tell me and we may change it following your suggestions. :)

You should use keyboard scancodes instead of keycodes. This uses the physical layout of the keyboard instead of the keyboard configuration (which could be messed up if the user uses say dvorak). See https://www.panda3d.org/manual/index.ph ... ard_events

Maybe you'll find this topic interesting: https://forum.freegamedev.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7533
c_xong

Postby flavio » 18 Jul 2017, 22:08

c_xong {l Wrote}:You should use keyboard scancodes instead of keycodes.

Good call! I'm going to implement that in the next release. Thank you for the suggestion!
flavio

Postby Julius » 19 Jul 2017, 01:14

Any chance you are using: https://github.com/Moguri/BlenderPanda ? Seems like a really useful thing to have, but I would like to hear if someone has practical experience with it.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby flavio » 19 Jul 2017, 17:23

No, I am not using BlenderPanda (it didn't exist when I started coding Yorg), so I don't know it enough. :( There are two prototypes made by the author (Nitrogen and Lithium), so I guess he is the person who has the best "practical experience". The project seems great, I hope that it will reach a "ready for production" stage asap. :)
flavio