Lugaru HD 1.1, now fully FOSS (assets included)

Lugaru HD 1.1, now fully FOSS (assets included)

Postby Akien » 15 Dec 2016, 11:00

Hi there,

I'm happy to announce the release of Lugaru HD 1.1, which is the first official release from the OSS Lugaru project (and from any open source Lugaru fork AFAIK)!

Many of you probably know that Lugaru was originally open sourced in 2010 under the GPLv2+, together with various other indie games in the golden early days of the Humble Indie Bundle (also a project spawned from Wolfire). The assets were still under a proprietary license, but I finally convinced the copyright holder David Rosen to relicense them all under CC-BY-SA 3.0. For this new release, we added three alternative campaigns by Lugaru modders who we could get in touch with to get them to relicense their mods under CC-BY-SA 3.0 or 4.0.

We timed the release to match that of the Lugaru campaign in Overgrowth alpha 227 by Wolfire.

See the full release notes and download links for Linux, macOS and Windows binaries on GitLab.

Highlights

• Multiple campaigns support, making it easier to install and play mods!
  • These Lugaru mods are included by default as alternative to the Turner official campaign:
    • Temple, by Silb (CC-BY-SA 3.0)
    • Empire, by Jendraz (CC-BY-SA 4.0)
    • The Seven Tasks, by Philtron R. (albeit with some engine-related issues) (CC-BY-SA 4.0)
  • All assets (animations, textures, models, maps, sounds, etc.) of Lugaru HD by Wolfire are under a free and open source license (CC-BY-SA 3.0)!
  • Window and input management ported from SDL 1.2 to SDL 2.0, improving the support for modern screen resolutions and fullscreen mode, as well as better input handling.
  • Dehardcoded game data loading, making proper system-wide installs possible on Linux

We'd welcome any feedback about this release here on the ML or on the GitLab issue tracker, and of course patches/merge requests are very welcome.

The development does not stop at this release, we're still quite motivated and intend to continue modernizing the code base, fixing bugs and adding some new features as time permits. Feel free to join us! :)
That's not the cleanest code you've ever seen, far from that, but it's still fun to work on and bring some more object-oriented programming to this weird wannabe-C C++ code :D
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Re: Lugaru HD 1.1, now fully FOSS (assets included)

Postby Imerion » 15 Dec 2016, 12:18

Nice! Great work on liberating that art and making the code-base modern! Will have to give this a go again. :)
Try my games! : My Games - Read my FOSS Games Blog! : Free Game News
Imerion

Postby andrewj » 15 Dec 2016, 12:45

Sounds really good, thanks David for releasing the assets!

I remember trying this (or something related to this) a long time ago, and the main character was excellently animated, but there wasn't really anything you could do in the game except run around a desert environment and jump on some stuff. I will have to take another look :)
andrewj

Postby Julius » 15 Dec 2016, 18:12

Are there some tools to make maps and edit the models? It seems it is all custom formats?
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Akien » 15 Dec 2016, 19:44

Julius {l Wrote}:Are there some tools to make maps and edit the models? It seems it is all custom formats?

It's all custom formats yeah, but there are some scripts I found on the Lugaru forum that could convert those formats to and from .blend. I haven't tested them yet, and they probably need to be updated for the current Blender version, but there's hope :)

Otherwise the game includes a rough map editor (triggered with the `--devtools` argument) to place characters, objects, hotspots, etc.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien