Hexoshi

Re: Hexoshi

Postby onpon4 » 15 Jul 2017, 14:47

Hey, that one sounds really nice. Thanks for the link! I've added it to the "ideas" page.
onpon4

Postby charlie » 03 Mar 2018, 00:12

Just had a good run through of Milestone 1. It's a good foundation, good fun.

The clawed enemy struggled with sloping floors. It started glitching out and no longer moving on one of the screens somewhere below the first save point.

I couldn't really get to grips with the default keyboard layout. I was left with too much to do with 1 hand (firing, jumping, angle up/down for shooting). I don't yet have a constructive suggestion on how that might be improved.

The level graphics are a little too samey at the moment, albeit that's to be expected for an early phase of development. The useless artifacts provided the only basis for story, it's a bland experience without any story whatsoever. Even just a bit of story would be worth adding otherwise there's no impulse for progression.

I'm sure these are all things you are aware of and thinking about. Just my 0.02c. I like it a lot. Glad I contributed, hope to see it pick up pace in development though. Perhaps flesh out a bit of story and maybe look to get milestone 0.3 or so on Steam or another platform that can pay you a little and incentivize further development?
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby onpon4 » 03 Mar 2018, 06:51

The clawed enemy struggled with sloping floors. It started glitching out and no longer moving on one of the screens somewhere below the first save point.

Yes, I'm aware of that bug. I don't know why it happens, so I just decided to take a page from RERO.

I couldn't really get to grips with the default keyboard layout. I was left with too much to do with 1 hand (firing, jumping, angle up/down for shooting). I don't yet have a constructive suggestion on how that might be improved.

Yeah, the big problem is I want the default configuration to be easy to figure out. I actually prefer using three keys (like Z-X-C or A-S-D), but it's hard to say which three are optimal when it comes to discovery.

The useless artifacts provided the only basis for story, it's a bland experience without any story whatsoever. Even just a bit of story would be worth adding otherwise there's no impulse for progression.

Certainly. I honestly don't really know what the story should even be about. I've thrown around ideas about maybe Anneroy is trying to find a lost treasure, or maybe Anneroy and the Mantanoids are in a race to find an ancient doomsday device. Or perhaps the useful artifacts (the ones that give Anneroy abilities) are the key to some kind of ultimate power, and Anneroy is trying to acquire this power to keep it out of the hands of the evil Mantanoids. Or maybe Anneroy could be the bad guy, someone who wants to acquire power for selfish reasons.

I do very much want to stick to the scavenger hunt idea, and I've kind of hinted at the fact that the Mantanoids are after whatever Anneroy is after too; artifacts usually have Mantanoids or scorpions nearby.
onpon4

Postby charlie » 03 Mar 2018, 12:03

On the story... well you need to think of how the game is going to pan out.

Is there going to be an end boss? What is the motivation for that end boss to fight you? For you to fight it?

What is Anneroy? A mercenary? A treasure hunter along the lines of a space version of Indiana Jones? A robot?

How about something along the lines of this:

- Anneroy is a treasure hunter for hire; has been sent to collect artifcats from the manatoid homeworld which is mostly underground, by a wealthy sponsor

You could, longer term, have a reasonably concise graphical intro for this. A shot of Anneroy in his cockpit reading the message. An animation of Anneroy's ship descending onto a desolate planet. A shot of Anneroy at the entrance to the Manatoid complex with his ship perhaps parked in the background.

- The artifacts could perhaps power a weapon or reactivate an ancient weapon that the Manatoids had once defeated and destroyed, and the wealthy sponsor could have nefarious plans with this weapon

The climax of the game could be the sponsor arriving and taking over the weapon and you having to defeat him.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby charlie » 03 Mar 2018, 12:05

To add to this, previous bounty hunters could have been sent down by the sponsor. Their remnents could leave behind weapons for Anneroy to pick up, and perhaps a few of them figured out the sponsor's plans and try to stop you.
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator