Presenting your FOSS game on itch.io (example heXon)

Presenting your FOSS game on itch.io (example heXon)

Postby Julius » 13 Nov 2016, 05:58

I recently came across an interesting FOSS game (hat tip @ http://fossgames.blogspot.com/ ) that is presented really well through itch.io:

https://luckeyproductions.itch.io/hexon
(yes I noticed the 'NC' on the asset license, so FOSS is a bit debatable)

As you can see it is a really informative portal that also allows very easy collection of donations via the "name your own price" option.

Setting up such a game portal on itch.io is extremely easy (a matter of minutes with their website builder).

In addition they offer interesting developer tools as previously discussed here:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6690

And of course there is the open-source & cross platform itch.io client application (like Steam) that easily allows updating and installing of apps.

Yes, their server backend isn't open as far as I know, but as long as this is only one option to distribute your game, I think it is a really convenient and useful one.

Edit: I have no relation to itch.io, but I think they offer a great service and are the only ones with an open-source distribution client AFAIK.
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Presenting your FOSS game on itch.io (example heXon)

Postby Lyberta » 13 Nov 2016, 06:34

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Julius » 13 Nov 2016, 07:44

Yeah, but since it is only applied to the art assets.... but anyways that's a different discussion. I kind of agree with you though.

True I always keep forgetting about Lutris, their website component is completely available so that you could in theory set up your own server? Would be cool to have some sort of federated game store ;) But I guess it doesn't have the integrated payment/donation option, which I think is one of the main benefits of using such a centralized service for distribution.

About Desurium, yeah let it die in peace :-/
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Lyberta » 14 Nov 2016, 12:50

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 09:47, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby onpon4 » 14 Nov 2016, 16:05

FaTony {l Wrote}:hopefully, I can present something in 2015.

You're about a year too late for that... unless you have a time machine, that is.
onpon4

Postby Lyberta » 15 Nov 2016, 13:47

Deleted.
Last edited by Lyberta on 01 Oct 2021, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
Lyberta

Postby Modanung » 13 Dec 2016, 14:15

I changed the license to CC-BY-SA. Also heXon can now be played with four players. If you have that number of controllers.

The tool called butler is a really nice way to update your games on itch with a single terminal command, btw.

And thanks for mentioning heXon. Be sure to check out the unreleased LucKey Productions, if your interested. :)
Modanung