ReTux

Re: ReTux

Postby onpon4 » 09 Apr 2017, 18:39

Sure thing! :) The repo is here (I've added comments since the last release to make translation easier, so you should use it):

https://savannah.nongnu.org/git/?group=retux

You can clone it and then either tell me where your mirror is when you're done (any Git host will do), or just send me the translation file as an email attachment or something if you're not comfortable using Git.

It's standard gettext. From data/locale in the terminal, do:

msginit --locale=de --input=retux.pot

Then edit de.po replacing each msgstr string with a translation (but do not change the msgid strings). If you want to test, run the "build.py" script in that directory and, if German is not your system language, run ReTux with the "-l de" command-line option.
onpon4

Postby themightyglider » 11 Apr 2017, 15:51

I'm allmost done with the translation. Now I'm not sure if I should translate the messages that are past to stout/the log as well or would it be better to leave them like they are. I guess english would better for you if people like to send you a bug report and add their logfile to it.
themightyglider

Postby onpon4 » 11 Apr 2017, 15:58

Now I'm not sure if I should translate the messages that are past to stout/the log as well or would it be better to leave them like they are.

Everything in retux.pot is supposed to be translated, and none of it is ever included in the error log.
onpon4

Postby Akien » 11 Apr 2017, 16:02

themightyglider {l Wrote}:I'm allmost done with the translation. Now I'm not sure if I should translate the messages that are past to stout/the log as well or would it be better to leave them like they are. I guess english would better for you if people like to send you a bug report and add their logfile to it.

Personally I think debug info intended to the upstream developers should always stay in English. Even the translation of tools like git make them harder to understand IMO, I wish mine were in English and not in French (but at the same time I'm not annoyed enough to rm -rf git's fr.mo, so I guess it's not that bad ;)).

If onpon4 agrees, the debug messages should likely be removed from the translation catalog to avoid translators spending time on them.

Edit: Well judging by the above it seems debug strings are not in the template in the first place.
Akien

Postby onpon4 » 11 Apr 2017, 16:10

Akien {l Wrote}:Edit: Well judging by the above it seems debug strings are not in the template in the first place.

Correct.

themightyglider was probably talking about the strings that are printed to the terminal as the game starts, but these are not there for debugging purposes, rather they are there so you can see that the game is starting up properly.

Or he could have been talking about the messages that pop up in-game if an error occurs, explaining to the user that an error occurred and showing the error. The error itself is controlled by Python, though, and that explanatory text absolutely should be translated so that the user understands what's going on. These are again not for debugging purposes, but rather they are there to tell the user that a level set is broken.
onpon4

Postby themightyglider » 11 Apr 2017, 16:50

Ok, then I will translate them as well.
themightyglider