Game Trailer

Title: Petigor's Tale
Genre: Arcade
Platform: Any with a browser supporting webgl
Engine: Blend4Web https://www.blend4web.com/en/
License: GPL3
Link: Link to the game
Facebook Page: Link to the game

This is a game about a brave warrior - a teenage boy who alone was forced to fight an evil troll and his companions. One night while away, his village was burned and his friends were kidnapped. So, he decided to rescue everyone and wipe out the evil settled near his village.

The player, a warrior carrying the name Petigor, will need to pass through several levels: a red-hot crater of a volcano, a dark dangerous dungeon and finally meet with the frightful troll and defeat him in battle.

This game was made completely using open source software like Blender, Krita, Gimp, Audacity and the WebGL engine Blend4Web. All game resources are also available to download, study and modify in the free Blend4Web SDK.
mikhluz

Re: Petigor's Tale

Postby Taknamay » 24 Mar 2016, 00:36

This game looks pretty cool. Unfortunately my browser does not do WebGL.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby mikhluz » 24 Mar 2016, 08:17

Taknamay {l Wrote}:This game looks pretty cool. Unfortunately my browser does not do WebGL.

What browser and graphic card do you use? http://get.webgl.org/ - what this site show to you?
mikhluz

Postby charlie » 24 Mar 2016, 13:31

That looks really nice. What inspired you to create the game? Was it funded by anything or as part of a university course or what? Let us know! :)
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby mikhluz » 24 Mar 2016, 14:29

charlie {l Wrote}:That looks really nice. What inspired you to create the game? Was it funded by anything or as part of a university course or what? Let us know! :)
This game is a demo of the Blend4Web engine features and a demostration that it can be used for game creation. I'm a member of a team that developed this engine, so it was inspired by the desire to demonstrate the engine possibilities. :D
mikhluz

Postby Akien » 24 Mar 2016, 14:37

It looks really gorgeous, great job! It's not often that we see a GPLv3 game with such cool graphics :)

Are the source and assets only available when downloading the full blend4web SDK, or can one find them in their own repository somewhere?

I've tested the game in Firefox on Linux with an Intel HD Graphics 4000, some i5 CPU and 4 GB of RAM, the performance was not mindblowing but quite acceptable already in low res. I tried to play via bumblebee to use my Nvidia GPU, but Firefox would crash upon launching the game when run via bumblebee :/ Not sure if it would be a bumblebee, Firefox of blend4web bug.

All in all as a gamer I'm not so convinced by WebGL for 3D games (I find HTML5 fine for some casual 2D games like 2048 or agar.io, but for more serious games I want them running natively with good performance), but it's still quite an achievement that you pulled here, congrats!
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby mikhluz » 24 Mar 2016, 14:50

Akien {l Wrote}:It looks really gorgeous, great job! It's not often that we see a GPLv3 game with such cool graphics :)
Thak's not so much people can understand taht fact^).

Akien {l Wrote}:I've tested the game in Firefox on Linux with an Intel HD Graphics 4000, some i5 CPU and 4 GB of RAM, the performance was not mindblowing but quite acceptable already in low res. I tried to play via bumblebee to use my Nvidia GPU, but Firefox would crash upon launching the game when run via bumblebee :/ Not sure if it would be a bumblebee, Firefox of blend4web bug.
We need to check this, I know that there's a huge problems with WebGL in firefox.

Akien {l Wrote}:Are the source and as sets only available when downloading the full blend4web SDK, or can one find them in their own repository somewhere?
For now it will be only a part of Blend4Web free SDK, but in the future we are planning to create a little community around the game so anyone can take a part in development of the rest part of the game: third level or maybe an open world in Petagor's Tale 2 :cool:. So we are planning to make this game as big open project from the community for the community with contests, prices, paid jobs, dotations and so on.
mikhluz

Postby Taknamay » 24 Mar 2016, 23:10

mikhluz {l Wrote}:
Taknamay {l Wrote}:This game looks pretty cool. Unfortunately my browser does not do WebGL.

What browser and graphic card do you use? http://get.webgl.org/ - what this site show to you?

"Hmm. While your browser seems to support WebGL, it is disabled or unavailable. If possible, please ensure that you are running the latest drivers for your video card."

I am using Firefox, and my GPU is Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780. I have always had issues with this GPU and do not want to be bothered upgrading drivers myself.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby mikhluz » 25 Mar 2016, 08:28

Taknamay {l Wrote}:
mikhluz {l Wrote}:

"Hmm. While your browser seems to support WebGL, it is disabled or unavailable. If possible, please ensure that you are running the latest drivers for your video card."

I am using Firefox, and my GPU is Gallium 0.4 on AMD RS780. I have always had issues with this GPU and do not want to be bothered upgrading drivers myself.

Have you tryied to launch the game in chrome or something else? Try this in Firefox: enter about:config into the browser’s address bar, search for the webgl.force-enabled parameter and double-click on it to switch from false to true.
mikhluz

Postby MCMic » 25 Mar 2016, 11:43

Pretty!

My connection is quite bad it takes a long time to load.
Is there any way to download the game and run it locally?
(And I’m also for native games, I mean it does not bother me if it uses webgl or whatever, but I like to be able to install it and launch it as a separate application.)
MCMic

Postby mikhluz » 25 Mar 2016, 12:56

MCMic {l Wrote}:Pretty!

My connection is quite bad it takes a long time to load.
Is there any way to download the game and run it locally?
(And I’m also for native games, I mean it does not bother me if it uses webgl or whatever, but I like to be able to install it and launch it as a separate application.)

I understand your opinion, but our main idea is to run games directly from browser without downloading.
mikhluz

Postby Imerion » 25 Mar 2016, 16:06

It's very impressive! Lovely 3D graphics with commercial quality, and I got an ok framerate with my HD4400.

I understand your idea was to run it through the browser, but if possible, I'd love a version that can be run off-browser too. There is just so much distraction in the browser, even fullscreen mode can't get rid of all. Not to mention I often don't have a connection available and would still be able to run it. Sometimes my connection is paid too, so downloading things every time would cost a lot of money. :(
Try my games! : My Games - Read my FOSS Games Blog! : Free Game News
Imerion

Postby mikhluz » 28 Mar 2016, 08:45

Imerion {l Wrote}:It's very impressive! Lovely 3D graphics with commercial quality, and I got an ok framerate with my HD4400.

I understand your idea was to run it through the browser, but if possible, I'd love a version that can be run off-browser too. There is just so much distraction in the browser, even fullscreen mode can't get rid of all. Not to mention I often don't have a connection available and would still be able to run it. Sometimes my connection is paid too, so downloading things every time would cost a lot of money. :(

You can find this game in Blend4Web free SDK last release at he end of this week. You can download it and run localy. https://www.blend4web.com/en/downloads/
mikhluz

Postby Imerion » 28 Mar 2016, 15:12

Awesome, thanks! :D It really is well made!
Try my games! : My Games - Read my FOSS Games Blog! : Free Game News
Imerion