Godot Engine 2.0, with tons of usability improvements

Godot Engine 2.0, with tons of usability improvements

Postby Akien » 27 Feb 2016, 10:31

Hi everyone,

We recently released Godot Engine 2.0 which had been 9 months in the making! It brings Godot Engine to a whole new usability level, making it ready to shine and be used by both professionals and hobbyists.

Probably interesting for our FreeGameDev community too, Godot Engine is now 100% a community-driven project (it used to be sponsored by a game development studio that the Godot creators had founded, but since Nov 2015 this is no longer the case and Godot is supported by the not-for-profit Software Freedom Conservancy). The community of co-developers has really grown a lot over the last year, especially since ~September 2015 when we started organizing a bug triage team, a documentation team, and opening up some push rights on the GitHub repo for trusted contributors.

What's new?

I'll just briefly list the main new changes here, but I encourage you to check our the release announcement directly, as it comes with pictures ;)

New core features

• Improved scene instancing that keeps track of changes made to instances
  • New scene inheritance mechanism, taking instancing even further
  • New text-based scene format (tscn): human-readable INI-style format, much more git friendly than the previous XML-based text format.

New editor features

• Multiple scene editing: this is a HUGE boost in workflow, as previously you could only open one scene at a time.
  • New layout and theme; more usable, and prettier!
  • Advanced new file dialog, with file previews, favorites, etc.
  • Improved code editor merged with the class reference panel
  • Many new debugging features
  • Live editing: code and test your game at the same time!

And so on and so on... the list is huge after 9 months of intensive development work by an ever growing community of contributors. It took so long mostly due to the new text-based scene format that implied to change quite a few core components and thus break the compatibility with previous versions (i.e. scenes made in Godot 2.0 can't be opened in 1.1). This is why the original plan to make a 1.2 release became a 2.0, and to make it "worth" the major number bump, the lead developers wanted it to be an outstanding release!

Downloading

Download the official binaries!

You can of course also build from source very easily, just clone the GitHub repository and use scons!

Godot Engine is now also featured on Steam, for free, with exactly the same features as in the git repo and the official binaries (so to the question "what's the point of being on Steam then?", the answer is that it greatly increases our visibility, and some people just like having their stuff on Steam to keep track of how many hours they waste on it :p -- we'll probably add some Steam-specific features in the future, but it will never be a priority over improving the engine for everybody).

New website

Some community members (most of them actually FreeGameDev users too, i.e. alket, Calinou and myself) have been working on a brand new website for Godot Engine, make it much more appealing to the masses, but also with some great new features like a Q&A platform and a sphinx-based documentation powered by ReadTheDocs. We are kindly hosted by TuxFamily, which seems to handle our boost in usage of the last few days quite fine :)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Re: Godot Engine 2.0, with tons of usability improvements

Postby Imerion » 27 Feb 2016, 15:02

This really is a great tool! I've started to use it for my game dev projects since the 2.0 alpha, and it really is a huge improvement over the old versions.
I've tried many free game-dev tools, all have their ups and downs, but this one pretty much only have ups. ;)
Try my games! : My Games - Read my FOSS Games Blog! : Free Game News
Imerion

Postby Julius » 27 Feb 2016, 15:54

The progress is really awesome!

Now it just needs to get properly back into the 3D game with a nice Vulkan renderer ;)
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Akien » 29 Feb 2016, 07:56

And Godot is now on Lutris too: https://lutris.net/games/godot-engine :)

Julius {l Wrote}:Now it just needs to get properly back into the 3D game with a nice Vulkan renderer ;)

The 3D renderer will be reworked for Godot 3.0 indeed. Though there are already a few cool looking 3D games, so it's often wrongly assumed that Godot "can't do 3D". It can do OpenGL 2.1 3D, which is arguably well less performant than OpenGL 4 or Vulkan, but is still something one can work with for non-photorealistic games.

Now, we're all Waiting for Godot 3.0™ anyway :-P Note that Godot 3.0 will a priori come with OpenGLES 3.0/3.1 support (and the corresponding OpenGL API for desktop), and not Vulkan. The reason is that Godot's project leader (who has been in the industry for a while and was a Khronos advisor for Vulkan) believes that it will take quite some time before Vulkan is widely supported on mobile platforms, which are one of the main target platforms of Godot. GLES3 is a bit more widespread already, so that's what we will work on first (there's actually a contributor with a pretty advanced GLES3 renderer already) - it should already make Godot 10 times more appealing for 3D games :)

Vulkan support will be worked on afterwards of course, we'll probably have it in a year or so when hardware and drivers are well established in the market; in the meantime, we lose the buzz effect of "oh cool our engine has Vulkan support for the 10% of the population that can benefit from it", but hey ;) we have limited resources :).
Akien

Postby Akien » 29 Feb 2016, 17:06

@Julius, charlie: If one of you would like to write a blog post on FreeGamer about Godot Engine and the 2.0 release, that could be pretty nice!

I could help you with it to some extent with upstream informations if need be. It's best though if the blog post is signed by one of you I guess, external reviews always have more worth than upstream self-promotion ;)
Akien

Postby Imerion » 29 Feb 2016, 19:05

I did a small exception and posted about Godot despite my blog being mostly about playable games. But it's so good you deserve all the promotion you can get. I'm still really impressed over how good version 2.0 is. Thanks to all involved! :)
Try my games! : My Games - Read my FOSS Games Blog! : Free Game News
Imerion

Postby Bertram » 29 Feb 2016, 21:56

Wow, excellent news Akien! :D

I guess my next small toy project will be on Godot. :)
Bertram
VT Moderator