RogueBox Adventures: A Roguelike-Sandbox game

Re: RogueBox Adventures: A Roguelike-Sandbox game

Postby themightyglider » 03 Oct 2016, 19:19

@Aiken:
It's nice to see that you are interested in my little project! I'm looking forward to see RBA as official package in a distro. :)
Thank you very much for the git-magic you have done to merge the old GH history with the new GL one and I definitely will push this on the gitgud.io-repository.
themightyglider

Postby themightyglider » 04 Oct 2016, 08:38

After thinking about your idea of packing my game I would suggest you tu use the parameter '-h' by default to run the game. Whit this option the safe files will be put in '~/.config/RogueBox Adventures' instead of the game directory(what would mean you have to start the game using 'sudo').
Sadly, I got my first bug report this morning on the GCW Zero Forums and it was about this feature. It seems like I've made a mistake and the game options are still saved at the wrong place. I will try to fix this bug and release version 2.0.1 later today. If you still want to package my game you should definitely use this version.
Sorry for that.
themightyglider

Postby Akien » 04 Oct 2016, 09:43

I'm already using the `-h` parameter, but as we both mentioned it still tries to save options in the game data dir. I was about to open an issue when I got sidetracked fixing your git history, I'd really like you to update the repo with https://github.com/akien-mga/RogueBox-Adventures before doing too much new development that would make the two repos diverge again.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby themightyglider » 04 Oct 2016, 14:01

Okay, I've merged the old history to the gitgud.io-repo and fixed the bug with the save option. Now you should be able to package it without problems.
themightyglider

Postby Akien » 04 Oct 2016, 20:53

themightyglider {l Wrote}:Okay, I've merged the old history to the gitgud.io-repo and fixed the bug with the save option. Now you should be able to package it without problems.

Not really: https://gitgud.io/themightyglider/Rogue ... its/master
The full history in my repo is 177 commits, in your gitgud repo there are only 22 of them.

There is still no git history, you did not freeze push the repo I had prepared, just merged your local 'merged-history' branch on top of the master. Since the two branches had the same state but my last merge request, it just redid my merge request... https://gitgud.io/themightyglider/Rogue ... 5ac1842872

I'm going to update my GH repo again with your newest commits.....
Akien

Postby Akien » 04 Oct 2016, 21:05

So, I've updated my GitHub repo with the full history again (modulo my commit you merged earlier without heeding my comment, since it won't apply as the GitHub repo had a .gitignore already - I'll redo a new merge request once your master branch is fixed): https://github.com/akien-mga/RogueBox-Adventures

Edit: Had to tweak the git committer date for my transition commit again it seems, but now (Oct 4 20:23 UTC) it's all good.

So again, the *exact* instructions to update your repo. Let's start by creating an updated "test-history" branch so that you can check visually on gitgud that it worked, before you freeze push to master (as freeze pushes in production should not be done lightly, but to restore the history it's the *only* solution). The test-history branch should have 178 commits.

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
git checkout -b merged-history2
git remote add akien-gh https://github.com/akien-mga/RogueBox-Adventures  // might not be needed as you might have it already locally
git fetch akien-gh
git reset --hard akien-gh/master  // will replace your merged-history branch with the contents of my akien-gh/master
git log  // always check that it worked
git push --force origin merged-history2:test-history
// go to gitgud, check the "test-history" branch, it should have 178 commits including your latest developments
// now push to master for real
git push --force origin merged-history2:master  // a "merge request" from the test-branch to master would NOT work, "merge" in git speak is not the same as what I mentioned when saying "merging back the history"

Your 2.0.1 tag might end up a bit annoyed, but I'll help you fix that if need be.
Akien

Postby themightyglider » 04 Oct 2016, 22:41

Maybe this is a stupid question but I've wasted to much of your time with my bad understanding of git... sorry for this...When our final goal is a git repo with the whole development history on my gitgud.io account wouldn't it be much easier if I just generate a new repo and use the "import from remote repo"-option that gitlab offers? I should have done this when I migrated there first but I didn't realised that this option exists.I hope you don't get me wrong I really appreciate the work you have allready done. I just ask for a better understanding.

Sorry again for my incompetence.
themightyglider

Postby Akien » 04 Oct 2016, 23:24

No problem, git is a tough beast to master :)

That could work yes, but since you already have a repo set up, I thought it would be easier to update it. The commands I gave above should do just that if you run them one after the other.
But if you want to try the "import from remote repo" option, it should work fine too.

I did a test here, it worked fine: https://gitgud.io/akien/RBA-test
This was my configuration when importing: http://pasteboard.co/b3TgLqMa6.png

It has the benefit of also importing your old tags: https://gitgud.io/akien/RBA-test/tags
Akien

Postby themightyglider » 05 Oct 2016, 10:57

Finally it is done!
The repo is up to date and includes the full history. Thank you very much for your help. I'm looking forward to see my game as part of the software sources of a official GNU/Linux-Distribution. This is a important validation of my work.
themightyglider

Postby Akien » 05 Oct 2016, 11:44

Awesome :)

I see the 2.0.1 tag also got properly adjusted, I don't know if you did it manually or if gitlab handled it by itself, at any rate it looks good.

Will give packaging another try tonight, and start opening some issues and merge requests for various things I noticed when playing with the sources.
Akien

Postby themightyglider » 05 Oct 2016, 12:53

I see the 2.0.1 tag also got properly adjusted, I don't know if you did it manually or if gitlab handled it by itself, at any rate it looks good.

I've don it manually.

Will give packaging another try tonight, and start opening some issues and merge requests for various things I noticed when playing with the sources.

A few extra eyes looking on the code (and for bugs) are exactly what this project needs at this point.
themightyglider

Postby shirish » 26 Oct 2016, 19:07

There should be an option to kill off the music, currently there isn't in the options.

also

$ codespell --quiet-level=3
./main.py:7930: wanna  ==> want to  | disabled because one might want to allow informal pronunciation

Also -

$ licensecheck --check=. --recursive --copyright .
./README.md: *No copyright* GENERATED FILE

./default.gcw0.desktop: *No copyright* UNKNOWN

./icon_big.png: UNKNOWN
  [Copyright: tEXtCommentCreated with GIMPWQIDATxÚíÝ=NÃ0€á±ô",L¾3Re)G`êÆÀ]

./icon_small.png: *No copyright* UNKNOWN

./main.py: *No copyright* GPL (v3 or later) GENERATED FILE

shirish

Postby themightyglider » 26 Oct 2016, 22:08

There should be an option to kill off the music, currently there isn't in the options.

I am not sure what you mean. In the options menu you can turn off BGM and SFX as well.
Or do you wish something like a flag (eg.: '-s') to run the game in a no-sound-mode?
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 27 Oct 2016, 05:51

A few weeks ago I've stumbled upon the game on github.io... It looks really nice, but a few times I had a crash-to-desktop without saving any progress...
And are there any recipes books? I had to carry a lot of stuff in the inventory without understanding what for...
P.S. Pixelart font at itch.io is hard to read... however looks fine in the game (where is much less text info).
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 27 Oct 2016, 07:30

It looks really nice, but a few times I had a crash-to-desktop without saving any progress...

Crashes are allways interesting for me. I know that I've fixed some with 2.0.0, but meanwhile the game has reached a grade of complexety that things can have strange effects in combination. It would be great for me if you can give me any lead what you attempted to do when the game crashed.

And are there any recipes books?

At the moment the answer is no. But I'm working on an in game tutorial which I like to add with version 2.1.0.
Maybe I should write a little beginners guide or make a video for new players as well.

Thank you for your feedback.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 28 Oct 2016, 16:56

So I've tracked down the first CTD :)
If I enter the crafting menu and press ESC (to check whether I need the crafted item) I get a CTD.
I've got a few more, but I couldn't figure out any specific actions sequence to reproduce them.

After killed and respawn/newgame "hit" message is displayed on player and former target location relative to him.

Moreover I can't exit at Debian Linux running through "python main.py". When I push Quit I just get the latest saved game loaded. Pressing "cross" also doesn't work.

Looks like "gems" add strangely. After picking up ~5 gems I still had 1. Then it became 0. In some further time it started increasing again.

Random crafting is sometimes irritating. E.g. in need of furnace I am forced to go a few times to crack stone, because craft table produces altars and fountains...

Spawner bosses look overly powerful (most often completely invulnerable) comparing to other monsters on the level.
Monsters diversity is not very high and hardly changes from dungeon level.
Equal monsters have critically different stats. E.g. 99% are killed in one blow, and 1 of 100 just can't be hit and easily kills the player.
First map orcs monsters are too powerful. E.g. desert beasts (second map, should be more complex) are much more easy to kill.

Some warning should be issued when some stat (thirst, hunger or tiredness) is low, because the character just dies abruptly and it takes time to understand what has happened.

Looks like I can save/load game on Roguelike. Is this correct?

Eventually I just ended up with not knowing what to do with cursed equipment. No idea, what most of items do, including question "which is better", e.g. holy tin +1 or normal copper +2? So any sort of information would really improve playability of the game. Ordeals? Rune staff? Potion of Thirst? What do they all do? What do the character's stats mean? What do spells do? What is chalk for? Any use in tunics/hats/wings?

What is the aim of the game? Is there anything interesting on the 99th level of the dungeon? Or it's just random to infinity to get some gems and ore? What's the idea behind non-hostile mobs, they just stand in the way.

Overall map is absolutely unreadable.

It is very inconvenient to be forced to switch weapon/axe/pickaxe all the time. Maybe at least give some fast buttons to (e.g. 1-weapon, 2-axe, 3-pixaxe)? Or just automatically chop wood/pick rocks when the tool is available in the inventory.

P.S. I can write video replays. No use for those to other players, but might be useful to you as the developer. If you need those, ping me.
eugeneloza

Postby eugeneloza » 30 Oct 2016, 07:27

Another CTD caught.
This heavy bag causes CTD. Save attached.
Attachments
World0_anotherheavybag.tar.gz
(162.38 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
World0_box.tar.gz
Heavy bag causing CTD.
(168.53 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 31 Oct 2016, 11:06

Sorry that it took a few days for me to answer your last post. I was a bit busy with other things during the last few days.

I've had a look on the problem with the crafting system and think I was able to fix it. The fixed code is allready pushed to the git repo, so you can try it if you like.

Now I will have a look at the other problems. I hope it will be no too big deal to fix them as well.

I still have a few questions/comments:

Moreover I can't exit at Debian Linux running through "python main.py". When I push Quit I just get the latest saved game loaded. Pressing "cross" also doesn't work.

Did you try to quit from the main menu? (I never encountered this bug so far by my self.)

Looks like "gems" add strangely. After picking up ~5 gems I still had 1. Then it became 0. In some further time it started increasing again.

Did you die? Dying causes you to loose all your resources.

Spawner bosses look overly powerful (most often completely invulnerable) comparing to other monsters on the level.
Monsters diversity is not very high and hardly changes from dungeon level.
Equal monsters have critically different stats. E.g. 99% are killed in one blow, and 1 of 100 just can't be hit and easily kills the player.
First map orcs monsters are too powerful. E.g. desert beasts (second map, should be more complex) are much more easy to kill.

Monsters spawn on a random level between which is determined by the depth they spawn on (lvl+1 to level+4) and they choose a attribute to rise for every level randomly as well. Maybe I should determine the monsters level based on players lvl instead? A little tip: If you have problems to kill a monster with the sword in the hand try to shoot it with a magic weapon.

Some warning should be issued when some stat (thirst, hunger or tiredness) is low, because the character just dies abruptly and it takes time to understand what has happened.

Right! Maybe a red "WARNING" in one corner of the screen.

Looks like I can save/load game on Roguelike. Is this correct?

Yes. You have to be able to brake the game. But your save files will be deleted after you die. (I tried it out and it worked)

Eventually I just ended up with not knowing what to do with cursed equipment. No idea, what most of items do, including question "which is better", e.g. holy tin +1 or normal copper +2? So any sort of information would really improve playability of the game. Ordeals? Rune staff? Potion of Thirst? What do they all do? What do the character's stats mean? What do spells do? What is chalk for? Any use in tunics/hats/wings?

The game really needs a manual.

What is the aim of the game? Is there anything interesting on the 99th level of the dungeon? Or it's just random to infinity to get some gems and ore? What's the idea behind non-hostile mobs, they just stand in the way.

There is no aim. Just a open gameworld to explore.
The game world is not infinite (Just five underground levels). On the deepest level of the dungeons you can find a chest with a little reward.
Non-hostile mobs can be villager NPCs or shopkeepers and are just for decoration. Or do you mean the animals like bats or rabits? They can been killed for meat.

Overall map is absolutely unreadable.

Do you mean the one you can call from the brake menu?

It is very inconvenient to be forced to switch weapon/axe/pickaxe all the time. Maybe at least give some fast buttons to (e.g. 1-weapon, 2-axe, 3-pixaxe)? Or just automatically chop wood/pick rocks when the tool is available in the inventory.

Nice idea!

P.S. I can write video replays. No use for those to other players, but might be useful to you as the developer. If you need those, ping me.

It looks like the most problems you had are usability issues. The best way to fix them for me would be the possibility to watch some person play and
see the problems this person encounters. So, yes! A video replay really could help me a lot.

Thank you so much for your reports so far. This helps me a lot.

P.S:: I will try to fix the heavy bag crash as soon as possible.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 31 Oct 2016, 12:51

Did you try to quit from the main menu?

Yes, quitting from main menu loads the first (zero) savegame slot or latest game (for me they're equal).
Pushing close button (cross) just doesn't do anything.
AFAIR maximize and minimize also don't work, but I don't remember exactly.
Did you die? Dying causes you to loose all your resources.

No, just walking around, collecting gems. Wood, ore and stone stack fine, but gems are zero at each game loading(?) and sometimes reset to zero or 1 (?).
P.S. I played roguelike mode.
try to shoot

Oops... I can shoot? :?
But your save files will be deleted after you die. (I tried it out and it worked)

Didn't work for me. Files remained in place and I could load after death (and did it quiet often).
Do you mean the one you can call from the brake menu?

Yes... The one where "Resume", "Map" and "Save and Exit".
A video replay really could help me a lot.

I've made ~10 Gb of video replays so far (sorry, the sound is awful/absent, but I couldn't get sound recording to work on Linux). Can you download them from google disk? Or any other suggestions to upload them?
~50% of them end with CTD. I could reproduce only two ways to raise a CTD, but something you see might give you more information on the possible causes of others.

P.S.
I've been also loosing my max health for some reason.
Heart-shaped crystals raise health only to 20. But are wasted if used at this value. Maybe, a warning "do you really want to waste it?" would be good?

Another balancing issue:
Character stats gain +3 at level-up.
But HPs are increased only by +1... looks unfair :)
Especially understanding that I can get +2 HP by heart-shaped crystals and I can get 2 of them until I'll get a next level-up.
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 01 Nov 2016, 07:05

I am no fan of google services but if I dond have to do any registration I am fine with downloading it from google disk.

Since you faced a few strange bugs I've never triggered when I played myselfe it would be interesting to know a bit more about your setup.
Did you got the game from itch.io or did you cloned the repo from gitgut.io/notabug.org?
You running debian right? But which version of python/pygame do you use? Are you running the system via the itch app? If not where is the game directory placed on your system? In your home directory or somewere else? (I am not sure if this all really matters. But if I can try the game with a equal setup like you I will maybe find the bugs more easy.

My further plans for development are to fix at least all critical bugs and then don't add any new feature until I have finished at least a basic manual for players.

BTW Your problem with loosing your gems maybe isn't a bug. I guess you encountered goblins. These nasty creatures can steel gems if they are in melee battle. Slay them to get your gems back.

P.S.: In order to shoot you will have to equip a magic weapon in your left hand. Now press 'F' (the GUI will turn blue) and choose a direction with wasd/arrow-keys.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 01 Nov 2016, 09:32

themightyglider {l Wrote}:I am no fan of google services but if I dond have to do any registration I am fine with downloading it from google disk.

I've sent you the link by e-mail. Check if it works for you and I'll upload the rest.
Did you got the game from itch.io or did you cloned the repo from gitgut.io/notabug.org?

I've got latest 2.0.1 version from itch.io.
You running debian right? But which version of python/pygame do you use?

Yes, Debian Jessie. Looks like it's python 2.7.9-1 version and python-pygame (1.9.1 release+dfsg-10) - I've got the latest ones from Debian repo.
Are you running the system via the itch app?

Emm... and what is the itch app?
I just do "python main.py" (actually, more often just double-click main.py and it runs automatically).
If not where is the game directory placed on your system? In your home directory or somewere else?

Yes. It's /home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures_2_0_1 or something like this (equal to name of the archive downloaded from itch.io.
BTW Your problem with loosing your gems maybe isn't a bug. I guess you encountered goblins. These nasty creatures can steel gems if they are in melee battle. Slay them to get your gems back.

You'll see this in replays. I smash a vase. I get a gem. I immediately check inventory and I have zero gems. No one nearby. Reproduced multiple times.
That was once.
Next game I've played they added fine (not exactly +1, but I've seen 5 of them once).
Eventually I've ended up with zero gems again. However I've killed every (almost every) goblin and took the gem back (I didn't know they stole it and have been thinking that it's just a loot).
Finally I just gave up picking gems and therefore I might have ended up with all of them stolen.
P.S. Maybe I am wrong here, because I didn't know of stealing mechanics and I've had "problems" with gems not from vases, but from goblins (e.g. 1->0->1 scheme looks fine and might explain it)... But as far as I remember I've checked this problem after smashing vases. And still I killed almost every goblin and looted every gem I could find, so this number shouldn't had been as low as 1 or zero.
P.S.: In order to shoot you will have to equip a magic weapon in your left hand. Now press 'F' (the GUI will turn blue) and choose a direction with wasd/arrow-keys.

Aww... I've heard some sound after pressing F, but I couldn't guess what it does. I wanted to investigate but forgotten about it...
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 01 Nov 2016, 16:52

I tink I was able to fix the most major bugs you've reported. I still have to check out the problem about the gems and make a few more tests. But I hope that I will be able to make a bugfix release within this week.

P.S.: I have a few ideas for a better user experience and will try to post a few concepts here soon. I am looking foreward to read your thoughts about it.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 02 Nov 2016, 09:21

Have you managed to download the video by the link I've sent you? Should I upload the rest, or seek another way to transfer them?
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 02 Nov 2016, 09:47

It just worked fine for me.
Both videos show a crash caused by the crafting menu (I think this should be fixed now).

More interessting was what you did before the crash. It helps me a lot to learn which concepts the player understand intuitive and which one he/she don't figured out.

Thank you so much for this so far.

If you like you could try to set the window size to 640x360 and only record this one window instead of the whole desktop. This would help to keep the files smaller.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 02 Nov 2016, 10:04

themightyglider {l Wrote}:It just worked fine for me.
If you like you could try to set the window size to 640x360 and only record this one window instead of the whole desktop. This would help to keep the files smaller.

I'm uploading the rest 10GB then :) They'll be available in an hour or two at the same link... (UPD) Upload finished together with 2 previous files should be 14 files total 10.1 Gb.
About the screen size - I was just worried that a screen-recorder would record something weird (I have used another video recorder before), and I didn't have willpower to test it before recording :)
eugeneloza