RogueBox Adventures: A Roguelike-Sandbox game

Re: RogueBox Adventures: A Roguelike-Sandbox game

Postby eugeneloza » 16 Dec 2016, 07:57

your shoes IS fully repaired now. (should be "are" / or make the phrase in different order "Fully repaired shoes")

Torch won't light the darkness until the player makes a first step.

Toying with latest git-master:

trying to see info for "heavy bag" and, seemingly, for every item (tried 3 or 4).
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master/main.py", line 10044, in <module>
main()
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master/main.py", line 10028, in main
test = player.user_input()
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master/main.py", line 7469, in user_input
self.inventory.inv_user_interaction()
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master/main.py", line 9416, in inv_user_interaction
screen.render_text(texts['info_soon'])
KeyError: 'info_soon'

It's a good idea to leave fast-keys to use/drop items. Now I have to press ENTER and then "b" to drop 4-5 items of rotten food.

I couldn't figure out how, but I've lost all equipped armor items in Orcish mines simultaneously during battle. Some sort of a special enemy attack or a bug? Looks like the game removes all armor if one item fails.

"OpenInventory" sound comes too late.

Weapons now disappear fine in battle :)

Maybe, increase food drop by rabbits? Now it's more easy to get raw meat from a snake.

Finally npc elf appeared in the overworld :)

Weapon gets damaged by "digging" in the cave/lava cave

Some sort of "rest" should be fine. E.g. my character got poisoned ~200 turns in orcish mines, and I want to heal him, therefore I need to make ~200-250 steps left-right to get that.
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 16 Dec 2016, 10:07

Toying with latest git-master:

trying to see info for "heavy bag" and, seemingly, for every item (tried 3 or 4).
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master/main.py", line 10044, in <module>
main()
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master/main.py", line 10028, in main
test = player.user_input()
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master/main.py", line 7469, in user_input
self.inventory.inv_user_interaction()
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master/main.py", line 9416, in inv_user_interaction
screen.render_text(texts['info_soon'])
KeyError: 'info_soon'

Thats my misstake. I forgot tu push one file from local repo. Now it should work fine.

I couldn't figure out how, but I've lost all equipped armor items in Orcish mines simultaneously during battle. Some sort of a special enemy attack or a bug? Looks like the game removes all armor if one item fails.

This bug sounds kinda strange to me. I'll investigate on this. Let me know if this happens again.
(A monster that can destroy your whole armor, maybe would be a nice idea. It could be spawned on deeper dungeon levels very rarely.)

Some sort of "rest" should be fine. E.g. my character got poisoned ~200 turns in orcish mines, and I want to heal him, therefore I need to make ~200-250 steps left-right to get that.

Thats a fair point. I will think about a solution. Maybe a similar system like the Fallout/Elder Scrolls games have. A other idea could be to add a item like a tent. Which allowes you to trigger sleeping in the wilderness or a dungeon if no monsters are near by.

BTW
Have you tried out the launcher applet I made? Did it work for you?
I plan to release another update with some minor changes next week. Feedback if the auto-update function worked well would be great for me. ;)
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 16 Dec 2016, 10:59

Let me know if this happens again.

Happened 3 times tomorrow morning.
Moreover, armor gets disposed of very quickly in orcish mines (twice I had a situation, when 50% of my armor disappeared in the first few battles which were at above 30% before I've entered / MIGHT be connected to orcish hags and hexed state they place, because always at least one was nearby). I really love the idea, but that harms the balance of enchanted items. E.g. what's the point in +3 armor if it'll disappear after half-pass of orcish mines.
Repair scrolls are scarce and repair spellbook often repairs not the item "in danger". Plus I've never seen repair spellbook repairing weapon, it's always armor.
Idea: maybe repair scroll/book should repair the most damaged equipment item? Idea: maybe zero-quality armor should not disappear, but fall of the character where he stands and some repair-workbench introduced to repair such broken items. Idea: maybe some additional repair equipment may be used (scroll is better, but "repair hammers" can be crafter at carver's workbench and 10 of them can be carried as a resource?

Idea. Something should be done about items identification. E.g. there is no point in going down the orcish mines without identify spellbook. I've lost two of those after death and now it's just a few steps, full inventory and going back to the surface to identify the items at altar, at least 50% of which are immediately disposed of.

add a item like a tent

Hmm... this adds additional bed-like item, which takes up additional inventory slot preventing player from looting more items... I'd better just have a "wait" option (just a hotkey). It doesn't restore (but consumes) player fatigue, but allows to pass, e.g. 50,100,200 and 300 turns which is automatically interrupted if any monster appears or spawns nearby. Betryal at Krondor had a nice feature "rest until healed".
Also: pass 1 turn is also useful. Sometimes I need to lure enemy into a "vulnerable" position, where I wait for him either to gain advantage in close-range, to hide from enemy shooters, or to get some distance to fire at enemy before close combat. I push enter witch is fine in most situations, but, if player stands at something interactable (e.g. stairs up/down) then it becomes hard.

Have you tried out the launcher applet I made?

I have turned off Internet at home to have less distraction :)
And personally I don't like any sort of launchers or updaters which access Internet :). Especially online installers - when I download the installer, come home and it cannot install without Internet connection (just had an issue yesterday)... Yiek.
So... yes, I have never used it...
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 16 Dec 2016, 11:37

I have turned off Internet at home to have less distraction :)
And personally I don't like any sort of launchers or updaters which access Internet :). Especially online installers - when I download the installer, come home and it cannot install without Internet connection (just had an issue yesterday)... Yiek.
So... yes, I have never used it...

Since the launcer is optional, thats no problem. I mainly made it because I was tired of using the Windows mashines of friends/family to build a Windows standalone of the game for every release.

P.S.:

I've finished the description pages for equipment items right now and pushed the changes to the repo.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 16 Dec 2016, 11:44

themightyglider {l Wrote}:Since the launcer is optional, thats no problem.

Yes, exactly. That's the awesomeness of games where you can configure such things.
I've finished the description pages for equipment items right now and pushed the changes to the repo.

Thanks! I'll try it and report on Monday...
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 16 Dec 2016, 12:36

I'm looking foreward to your feedback.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 16 Dec 2016, 12:47

idea. Maybe make darkness more dark? E.g. first of all just make tiles and other sprites darker (if it's possible to make a simple color overlay). The same might go for visible distance. Complete darkness may be equivalent to blinded state (with light sources). That would make light more important in dungeons and at night overworld. But this will eventually make the game much harder, which is maybe not good at this point. So, just some "ideas". With night overworld "pass time" option might be important to wait through the night, e.g. "rest until dawn". That would also require craftable torches.
I've found where I can change that in sources (~570th and 5930th lines), and I'll try to play with lesser radius and will tell how it fells :)
eugeneloza

Postby eugeneloza » 19 Dec 2016, 09:38

Nymphs now drop gems fine. Still a chance it'll teleport away after hurt, but that's a hard life :)

Mini-map also looks fine at 100x100 world. Now I get it that "large white box 3x3" is the player character :)

About shorter view. I've tried it and it's very inconvenient. Might be a feature but unplayable without additional changes. I've added dusk and dawn like:
if time.hour > 21 or time.hour < 6:
>radius = 2
elif time.hour > 18 or time.hour < 8:
>radius = 3
and it looks interesting. Maybe an even more complex pattern of night - gradually changing radius from 6 or 8 down to 2 - would be nice?

Eventually I saw weapons repairing :). But armor keeps on disappearing very quickly in orcish mines 100% to zero almost in a dozen of enemy attacks. A 100% tin armor (if it's the only armor slot) is destroyed after character looses 10 HP. According to the sources wooden armor should hold 100 hits or 50 critical hits... but it doesn't for some reason... Still I couldn't figure out why.
UPD:
Item goes from 37% ->0% in one hit. Another item: 55% -> 0% in one hit.
Trying lines 7904, 7962, 7973, 7988, 7998 replace "if self.inventory.wearing[....].state < 0:" for "if self.inventory.wearing[....].state > 0:"
Now everything works fine. Armor gets damaged and vanishes at zero state, but does not disappear instantly. Basically all instances of "state < 0" should be "state > 0" - 6 times, if I recall it correctly.

A good idea would be to see if character is focused in the inventory tab - whether to use spellbook or a scroll.

Typo 'Your axe breaks into pices.' -> pieces. (line 5897 of main.py)

After looking into the code I've understood how "sacrifice" works. Looks like a nice idea, but more info should be given to the player.

Finally I've made it to lvl.13. Eventually even orcish mines give no XP anymore :)

Looking at generation code.
You already have implementation of ignore_player_pos == false in find_all_moveable at line 4162, why don't you use it? :) E.g. replacing it for (x>player.pos[0]+8 or x<player.pos[0]-8) or (y>player.pos[1]+8 or y<player.pos[1]-8) should fix monsters spawning too close to the player. However, that doesn't seem to work always... Even if I just set player_pos_check = True in both cases, the monsters still spawn. Maybe I don't understand the code yet. When is player.pos defined? Before or after spawning monsters?
I'VE GOT IT. Yes. Monsters spawn before the player changes his coordinates to the map entrance.
Setting
player.pos[0] = pos[0]
player.pos[1] = pos[1]
before
m.spawn_monsters(9)
at line 4953 does the job. No monsters now spawn near the player. HOWEVER, that won't allow to start a new game because there is no player yet... So a more sophisticated solution should be found. Basically just checking "entrance" pos coordinates would be absolutely enough, they just need to become global.

Setting monster_lvl = z + ran + self.monster_plus + player.lvl in set_monster_strange at 3149 makes much more fun gameplay :) However, that should go only for higher-level difficulties (aka hard and insane :)) something like z - ran + self.monster_plus + player.lvl might be used for normal and z + ran + self.monster_plus + player.lvl/2 for easy. With a sort of modification to add 1 lvl for each game month.

I've been also thinking about your implementation of level-up for monsters... maybe it's not the best idea to make them level-up like player does? First of all it makes equal monsters different, e.g. one orc warlord is killed in one blow and another survives 10 hits. Maybe defining monsters like that would be more useful:
str 10 +2*level
skill 12+ 1*level
Power 10+ 0*level
will 12+ 0*level
Hp 10 +2*level
This is much faster and produces equal monsters all the time.

About repairing most damaged item at line 8809:
ran = random.randint(0, len(final_bodyparts)-1)
>for i in range(0,len(final_bodyparts)):
>>if self.wearing[final_bodyparts[i]].state<self.wearing[final_bodyparts[ran]].state:
>>>ran = i
Works fine for me.

Each game action takes 1 minue of in-game time. But as strange as it seems, moving the player or accessing the inventory almost always moves enemies, but shooting or pressing ENTER works as if it's 1/2 of a normal turn - most enemies don't move.

Ore didn't disappear after I've died... strange. I'm playing on "normal".

By eating water-consuming food (like purple mushrooms) it's possible to get thirst negative (-12%).

Some monsters attacks make player adrenalized without a potion. Is that right? I couldn't note when it happened, but I am sure I didn't use a potion.

I've fixed a few typos in readme. See attached file (the site won't upload ".md" file, I had to archive it).
I've also made a simple tutorial for the game. You might consider including it and make some modifications, especially on questions I wasn't sure about :)
Attachments
Roguebox_README_typosfixed.md.tar.gz
(2.29 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
Roguebox_tutorial_161218-4.odt
(46.08 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 19 Dec 2016, 17:33

Wow you have done really a lot over the weekend. Now I feel a bit bad because I didn't managed to work on RBA.
I'll try to check out your proposed this week. :)
Your tutorial could be a good starting point for a user manual. If you could add any license like CC-BY-SA (or any other you like) I would put it in a seperate git repo and we can extend it.

Apropos git:
Do you have some problems with gitgud.io? I got allready got somer feedback from a player else who was willing to open a issue, that he had some trouble with this.
Currently I've some BCKP repos on notabug.org. Maybe I should use them as my main repos instead. I think it would be much easier for both of us if you can open pull requests for code change proposals.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 20 Dec 2016, 08:49

About tutorial license - put any license you want. I'm ok even with CC0 :)
About repositorium - I don't feel like my knowledge of python is enough to contribute something serious yet. Consider those just as code ideas, because as I've written, most of them don't work properly without additional modifications. I didn't try using gitgurd.io yet.
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 20 Dec 2016, 14:29

Okay. I will check your ideas and see what could become part of the code in the one or other form. ;)
Anyway it would be much better if you could open issues for this kind of stuff.
Don't get me wrong please your feedback is very helpful for me but I am a bit afraid of loosing the survey of everything when it is posted here in the forum. With issues I could pick one after the other and wouldn't miss anything.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 20 Dec 2016, 14:43

themightyglider {l Wrote}:Anyway it would be much better if you could open issues for this kind of stuff.

Ok. I've successfully registered an account at gitgud.io. Should I open issues for the ideas I've posted? Or should I leave it here?
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 20 Dec 2016, 16:48

We could talk about feneral stuff like the way RBA's development should go on in the future, here on the forum. Only specific stuff, that can be described as one task for me, should be opened as a issue. E.g. bug reports, requests for single features, code change proposals and similar. On this way I have some kind of checklist I could work on.
themightyglider

Postby themightyglider » 09 May 2017, 09:41

Today I've posted a new article to the news section of https://rogueboxadventures.tuxfamily.org to keep everbody up-to date with the state of development.

https://rogueboxadventures.tuxfamily.org/blog/latest.htm
themightyglider

v3.0.0 is out and looking for testers!

Postby themightyglider » 20 Oct 2019, 20:28

It has been a while since my last post on this forum...
But today I'm very happy to announce that I've published a first beta build for the upcoming release of version 3.0.0 of my game RogueBox Adventures!

Currently I am looking for some testers. So if someone can spare a bit time and give me feedback I would be very happy. :)

For more information please read the blog post: https://themightyglider.itch.io/roguebox-adventures/devlog/105625/v300beta1-lets-find-bugs
themightyglider