RogueBox Adventures: A Roguelike-Sandbox game

Re: RogueBox Adventures: A Roguelike-Sandbox game

Postby themightyglider » 30 Nov 2016, 17:17

Another idea.

How would it be if pickaxe and axe are no regular items you can drop and equip, but something bound to your character.
For example: You start with a character with a axe level 0 and can use a special crafting station to increase this level by spending some ore. The same for the pickaxe. If you die this level is set back on 0.

A lvl 0 axe would be good enough to cut down regular trees, level 1 could do cacti as well, lvl 2 could do giant mushrooms and so on for the further bioms I will add.
I maybe need to add one or two more sorts of stone. (Maybe something like obsidian for deeper regions.)
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 01 Dec 2016, 08:37

1. couldn't start a new/old game:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master-40aa8d19a9f1b2ba315fefef2b07b24e7e426602/main.py", line 9848, in <module>
main()
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master-40aa8d19a9f1b2ba315fefef2b07b24e7e426602/main.py", line 9804, in main
if a == True:
NameError: global name 'a' is not defined

commented out this and the next line and everything ran fine.

2. When weapon is 0% it still works fine. However axe/pickaxe disappears.
3. Raw meat and etc. do not spoil on ground (neither unpicked, nor dropped). However, they spoil too quickly in pockets...

* Maybe ability to store and sort items would be nice? Something like a buildable storage place/chests... "Too many items on ground" message starts getting annoying :).
* It looks nearly impossible to find anything on big world map (150x150). Important things (like player location, dungeon entrances) really should blink :)
Maybe, also not so bright colors should be used? Mostly the player wants to know if he can pass there or not.
Also a static pixel scaling would be nice (e.g. that a tile scales strictly to 2x2 or 3x3 pixel, i.e. map image is 300x300 or 450x450; not sometimes 2x2 or 1x2, or even 1x1 as it's now / despite the resolution scaling factor is crazy :))
* Another problem for the player to be stuck in "no way out". If a cursed weapon is equipped, player can't equip neither axe nor pickaxe.
* Rock-throwing enemies at first underground grotto (soil spirits?) turn into a stone. However, if the player has no pickaxe it might block him forever.
* Might be a feature. When respawning at "normal" difficulty the progress towards the next level is lost.

P.S. successfully surpassed lack of axe at 1st level. You can start killing orcs with your fists and seldomly they have some usable loot. That was a fun and nice gameplay. Maybe it might even be a nice idea to teleport player to some location without equipment forcing him to rely on loot only to return safely. E.g. a new "secret" area or a "disrobing" teleport trap dropping all player's equipment and inventory on ground and teleporting him to some random location.

P.P.S.
* balancing difficulty in days might be a disaster for "hard" difficulty when the player looses his level on respawn. The enemies are already strong enough for a character of level 7, but the character respawned at level 0 :)

* Current difficulty (non objective) estimate
lvl.0. Orcs are too strong. Nearly unkillable. Everything else is too easy.
lvl.1. Orcs are even match in case equipment is available.
lvl.2. Orcs are a piece of cake. Just don't let them surround you.
lvl.3. Game becomes too easy in the overworld.
lvl.4. I stop paying attention to enemies in the overworld. Weapon choice doesn't matter.
A few enemies in the underground are still powerful. Especially in groups.
Balancing becomes harder as (a flaw of majority roguelikes) there are 100 enemies, 99 of which are too easy and 1 is too hard. Moreover, often there is no serious difference between their looks. E.g. sometimes killing an lvl.3 orc is a hell, or in other situation, killing 3 lvl.3 orcs are down in just a few clicks - with the same weapons at the same character level.
E.g. balancing might be done by
a lvl.2. orc is a fair match for player lvl.2
a complete wooden set of armor and weapon adds 1 level to player efficiency
complete tin set adds 2 levels
... steel adds 3 levels of efficiency... etc.
(mixed armor/weapon sets will add fraction of that numbers)
i.e. player at level 1 with complete wooden set has no problem killing lvl.1 monsters, can kill lvl.2 monster and can 50% win/die battle with lvl.3 monsters. Defeating lvl.4 monster is a very high luck, and lvl.5 and above are almost completely undefeatable.
The same might go for player lvl.7 (+3 levels by steel armor set) - everything beyond lvl.9 is easy, lvl.10-11 are a fair match and lvl.12 and above are very hard.
In such case it's not just "slime lvl.2" which is approximately 3 times stronger than lvl.0 slime but a slime that is a fair match for a lvl.2 player.

A good idea might be to add bosses. E.g. not too powerful in attack, but plentiful in hitpoints, so that the battle would take not 2-4 hits, but might last for 20 turns and more and would require player to use potions, etc.
eugeneloza

Postby eugeneloza » 01 Dec 2016, 08:55

How would it be if pickaxe and axe are no regular items you can drop and equip, but something bound to your character.

I really love the idea of axe and pickaxe breaking down as it is now. So I absolutely support the way it is implemented now. The axes and pickaxes should be spendable I believe.
The only problem to be solved is that the player won't get blocked without any way to cut his way out. I've looked at 5844 th line of the main.py. It looks that it's not too hard to add ability for the character to break some basic stuff like wood and stone by hands.
E.g. if no axe/pickaxe is equipped, the player spends some health/fatigue/hunger/thirst and "ugh..." or "ouch..." sound is played plus some random chance to break the obstacle and gain (reduced) amount of resources.
That might be a problem for player not intentionally "hitting" the walls and taking unintended damage. But will be fixed as soon as player will have separate slots for axe&pickaxe.

Problem of carpenter's bench availability might also be solved by spawning an already-installed carpenters bench on the "holy ground" near the respawn point (and not place it in the chest).

and so on for the further bioms I will add. I maybe need to add one or two more sorts of stone. (Maybe something like obsidian for deeper regions.)

Sounds really great.

I've looked at your map generation algorithms... I think I could give you some help there (especially for dungeons)... Random map generation is my favourite programming task. But my knowledge of python is too low :( Can you point me exactly to the lines where the overworld/underworld/dungeons are generated? And describe a little the map array and tiles representation?
Just adding some comments to that piece of code would be fine. And point me to some basics of python syntax (like how ifs work, how to make fors and whiles, how to make blocks of code) - just some simple article, I don't want to study it too deeply. And point me which procedures I can "play" with :)
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 01 Dec 2016, 13:58

I released version 2.1.1 on itch.io right now. Lets hope there are any more crashes.

About the crash:

Sorry for that. I've changed something with the crash screen and added two lines of code to crash the game in order to test it.
I forgot to remove them.
But now they are gone.

About the axe:

Your idea is simple but brilliant. I think I'll add this. Should only be something like 5-10 more lines of code.

About the balancing:

When I suggested to raise the mosters level I did mean to do that intead of the other punishments for death.
No matter which difficlty player choose he/she would always loose resources and xp (no levels or equipment any more)
But maybe it would be more efficient to give all monsters a level-bonus depending on players level. At v2.1.1 all overworld monsters have a level between 1 and 4. How would it be if it is 1+player.lvl and 4+player.lvl?
On the other hand very high monster levels could lead to strange effects. E.g. a hill orc will spend his points at lvl up only on strength, skill(defence against mellee attacks) and Health. This means a high level orc maybe could become unbeatable in close quater combat but extreamly weak against magic attacks. I'm not sure if this will be that good. I mean its kinda logical that a orc would be a bad fighter but weak against magic but this could become a bit to extreme.

About commits:

Indeed I'm not happy with the dungeon generator. Somehow it's much more easy for me to generate natural forms like forests, caves, lakes etc. than architecture like a dungeon. I would really happy about any help I could get. I will try to drop comments during the next days. If you will need any additional info just let me know.

'A Byte of Python' is a very good tutorial. It's mainly for total beginners but you don't have to read everything. Just watch the code examples and you will understand how Python works.

https://python.swaroopch.com/
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 01 Dec 2016, 14:36

Thanks! I'll have a look at it.

orc maybe could become unbeatable in close quater combat but extreamly weak against magic attacks

Ooops... That's exactly what I've forgotten to write. Yes, orcs (and everybody else) are too vulnerable to magic attacks. I think it'd be good to reduce the strength (mostly to-hit-chance) for wooden magical items.
Yes, it's a good idea to have some monsters vulnerable to different attack types.
P.S. Spellbook of fire is too weak for "attack once in 100 turns".

1+player.lvl and 4+player.lvl

I don't like such approach in games (they do it similar way in Skyrim/Oblivion, so, yes, this approach is widely used and has its right to exist). It's an "easy bread" for game designer, but actually it is not a very interesting game design. I.e. despite the level you are, you face the same (or increasing) strength of the opponents.
Of course, balancing the game better is more work, but it doesn't look too hard. In this approach the player has to meet up with the "growth curve". If he learns faster, then he is OK. Else he starts having trouble and has to revert and grind (a little) to reach the current required level.

e.g. let there are few variables influencing the balancing of the map.
MAX_LEVEL
BASE_LEVEL
LEVEL_BONUS
TIME_PASSED (time player has spent on this map or in game altogether

therefore we have:
wood: MIN_LEVEL = 0; MAX_LEVEL = 10; LEVEL_BONUS = 0;
desert: MIN_LEVEL = 3; MAX_LEVEL = 20; LEVEL_BONUS = 2;
grotto lvl.1: MIN_LEVEL = 1; MAX_LEVEL = 15; LEVEL_BONUS = 1;
etc.
These values are balanced depending on "At which level you expect the player to come here?" E.g. the player can hardly leave
Ra-ndom dungeons/tombs set the level based on player's current level

Then the monster level is a fair match for player level:
L = LVL_BONUS + some_constant*TIME_PASSED + some_other_constant*player.lvl
#both constants < 1
if L<MIN_LEVEL then L = MIN_LEVEL
if L>MAX_LEVEL then L = MAX_LEVEL
L += random.randomint(-2,1)

With this approach several important things should be kept in mind.
1. Newbie and experienced players will have really different growth curves. How to provide interesting and immersive gameplay for both?
2. What happens when the player exceeds MAX_LEVEL? Monsters will become too easy for him.
3. What happens when the player fails to keep up with growth curve? Should the curve slow down and wait for him? Or should he have the opportunity to train faster?
4. What happens when the player exceeds the growth curve at current difficulty? Should the curve go faster to keep up with him? Or should it reward him for being efficient and provide some other challenges?
5. How long is the game expected to be played? Average gameplay time. I.e. some player will just look at the game, won't like it and will go away. Average player will get some part of the game content. And some player will be interested in playing more than expected, there should also be some content for him.
Therefore the game should "think" to show most of its content for an average player, but to have something "in store" for player who likes the game, but will eventually get boring if nothing new happens.
Maybe, the flood which will wipe away and reshape the overworld?
Maybe, some very-hard-to-reach location with unique sprites and enemies (might be just color-cycled of the used ones, but they have to be different in gameplay)?
Maybe, player will have some special abilities at higher levels, e.g. the loot becomes special.
Maybe, there will be some collectibles in the roguelike dungeons. And when the player collects 12 sapphires (in dungeons) and 12 emeralds (in tobms) and 12 amethysts (bought from the trader in grotto for lots of gems) he will be able to summon a companion ghost? Or will gain some special spellbook?
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 01 Dec 2016, 16:26

2. What happens when the player exceeds MAX_LEVEL? Monsters will become too easy for him.

Thats not a problem. You won't get xp by monsters with a low level. Your maximum level is level of strongest monster in game +2.

About the content:
I plan to add some kind of story to the game. Something about a acient artefact broken in four parts. Every part will be hidden at the last level of one of the not persistent areas. If you are able to bring them all back to the sanctuary a portal will open up which leads to a arena level with some kind of boss fight.Maybe it would be a good idea if every collectet piece of the artefact unlocks a new area of the gameworld. Where you will find the next one.
Edit:
You told that chests should be available. In fact you can build them at carpenter's workbench. They are decorative funiture (thats no good place for them, I know).In adition to them another item maybe could be nice. Signs with editable text. With both together you could build some kind of stockroom for your equipment. BTW dropped items on the floor should despawn after a few in game days. Maybe I could add some kind of trash can where they are deleted as sonn you drop them.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 02 Dec 2016, 09:41

Great plans :) Looking forward to see it and play it :)

P.S. I've had ~1 hour of flawless gameplay today. Everything looks nice and stable in git version.
And made a little mod with music from The World of Xeen for myself... I'm afraid that was proprietary music (abandonware, but still IP is IP), so I can't post it anywhere... On the other hand... maybe reviewing the game music some day would be nice. Not that it's bad... but it might be better and more adapted to the current in-game situation - especially in caves/tombs.
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 02 Dec 2016, 11:20

I want te game to sound like a game out of the 16bit-era but it's hard to find good free music.
If you encounter something, just let me know.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 05 Dec 2016, 07:38

1. I found the source of disappearing gems. That's those blue nymphs monsters. They steal gems and sometimes teleport away, but leave none when killed (just some ordinary loot).
2. Anchantment enchancemen powder... emm... means just Enchanting powder? It enchants only primary weapon and only to +2 value, is that right?
3. When casting Return (by a spellbook or a scroll) the music doesn't revert to "overworld" unless the first step / keypress is made.
4. Did you expect potions to be unidentified when picked up / crafted? Because now I can see "hunger" (negative) and "feeding" (positive) potions. The first one doesn't make sense unless it is expected the player doesn't know exactly what it does. Same goes for potion "of thist" and "of tiredness". Moreover, it also won't help just to make them unidentified, because potions are "made plentiful" by crafting and there is no dire need to "try" something unless properly identified. In regular roguelikes player is usually required to try each potion in "some safe place" to know it therefore offering a "new gameplay mechanics plane". However, in roguebox due to crafting, this approach won't work.
5. After game autosave all the monsters sometimes respawn at the map and some (just dropped) items (like raw meat) disappear. I think it makes the game area reset once in a game-day.
6. Confused state has duration of zero but persists for some time... Maybe you output a wrong variable?
7. Immobilized state persists after respawn (and so do other states like blind like I've written before, never saw adrenalized, light, confused or hexed but I think they operate the same way).
8. Heart-shaped crystals can raise characters health to 20 max (21 if character's health was uneven). However life potions do +1 any time. Blue crystals say "nothing happens" after a while. That's expected behaviour, right?
9. No way to see character's current stats other than at level-up. I've tried all the available keys at my keyboard and all menu options :)
10. Sometimes enemies are spawned under the character. E.g. while going down the dungeon level. They can hit the character, but the character can't hit them, until he steps away. Also character can be teleported (by trap or a scroll/spellbook) at enemy's location with the same result.
11. There are little large terrain areas where something large can be build in the overworld. Moreover, building and crafting furniture requires a lot of resources, but the character can carry too little of them in one go (e.g. only for 5 furniture items). Maybe, increasing max carryable resources at each level-up would be nice? Starting from 50 wood and ending with 100-200 wood at lvl.10 and the same for stones: 30 -> 90-150. Random-crafting the items is also a problem here, e.g. if I need 5 chests, then I'll have to produce ~20 furniture items (200 wood) and discard beds, coaches and etc.
12. Maybe negative effects like blind should'n stack? E.g. now 5 blind + 5 blind = 10 blind. Blind is actually not critical, but immobilized is a dangerous debuff.
13. When surrounded by multiple enemies only last "hit/miss" message is shown. E.g. when vase monsters attack player thinks he is not damaged, but they still do some (sometimes significant) damage. Maybe, the most significant message should be shown? Or up to four hit/miss messages?
14. The sources show that I can make nekko angry by destroying something, but I can't destroy anything in the desert. Likewise I can't kill anyone in elfish fortress to make elves angry.
15. Orcs workers are very weak, but they give a lot of xp. Same goes for other orcish mines beasts. E.g. comparing to spawner beasts in dungeon/tomb they are very easy to kill, but give a much higher yield.
16. It's impossible to explore orcish caves without a stock feeding/refreshing potions, right? Looks like the character runs very low on thirst/hunger quickly. Gladly orcish trader has a spell of return.

* Esc-exiting the forger's workbench craft menu (when selecting what to craft) crashes the game (just as it did in carver's bench before)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master-40aa8d19a9f1b2ba315fefef2b07b24e7e426602/main.py", line 9848, in <module>
main()
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master-40aa8d19a9f1b2ba315fefef2b07b24e7e426602/main.py", line 9832, in main
test = player.user_input()
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master-40aa8d19a9f1b2ba315fefef2b07b24e7e426602/main.py", line 7404, in user_input
self.enter()
File "/home/eugene/RogueBoxAdventures-master-40aa8d19a9f1b2ba315fefef2b07b24e7e426602/main.py", line 6459, in enter
choose = random.randint(0, len(items)-1)
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'items' referenced before assignment

Finished all the game could offer at level 10 (looks like I could train up to lvl.11 max, because most battles do not give xp now - very seldomly I encounter lvl.10 enemies (most funny - some of them are bats :))) in 6 to 10 hours (when I already know what and how to do).

Does saving orc, elf and naga give something? Looks like I've saved elf eventually, but he didn't appear in the overworld.
All-in-all I saw that balancing in dungeons is much better than in the overworld (when I see the lvl of enemies) - now I see how you do that and the idea is nice.
However, spawner creatures (necromancers and wisps) are too hard even for adrenalized lvl.9 character... Almost impossible to hit with a decent magic weapon (miss), only close combat. Immobilized state accidently cast by floating eyes can also kill the character without any means of surviving but a pure random chance (maybe, using spell of return or a healing potion is an option in immobilized state? Or make a special anti-petrifying potion?).
Still at higher levels only deepest level creatures offer some gameplay (other than just walking into them to kill in one blow) and reward.
It also seemed that tomb's highest level is lower than dungeon's. E.g. I could get amost no xp from the tomb at lvl.9 but about 10-15% from a single dungeon run (only at the lowest level). Grotto also doesn't provide any xp at lvl.8 and above.
Therefore it's only a single place when lvl.9 character can grind - the dungeon. Gave up grinding for lvl.11 - too much work for too little yield (lvl.10 grinding provides ~3% of progress per dungeon).
I've also understood fishing mechanics. However, it's relatively boring to press a key combination over and over until something is caught (i-right-right-right-down-down-down-down-enter-repeat). Maybe a hotkey to fish would be nice? Or automatically fish (like sleep) until interrupted (by enemy or player) or caught something. I've also been interpreting "nothing wants the bite" as "fishing doesn't work here" or "you need additional item to fish". P.S. emm... can I really grill a jellyfish :)?
Still... what does chalk do? By looking into sources I found out that I may write something on the soil (it writes something in the dungeon too). Looks like it block rabbits from moving until disappears in a few turns, nothing else. It means it just blocks monster from following the player? He-he, like in a "Viy" story - a guy was drawing a chalk circle to protect himself from monsters.
I don't recall finding any chalk in loot (however, possible), only in the starting chest. Also, couldn't find craftable chalks.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
But still couldn't find any lava cave or (s)elfish fortress :) All stairs down can be build only in overworld and they lead to cave lvl.1. No exits from the grotto, only the trader with goods (mostly useless for so hard-to-get and hard-to-keep gems) and no ability to build anything there. No entrances in desert other than to the tomb / no ability to build stairs. Maybe something like elfish blueprints do? Orcish one doesn't.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I got it!!!! see upd.

Idea. Maybe give unique abilities to each character? Not just different in color.
E.g. Orc might craft items using less resources. Elves might not anger dryads by chopping down the trees. Third one has higher starting strength, health, magic, or some other stat.

Idea. The saved characters might get a little bit useful. Elves can give wood. Orcs - stone. Nagas - ore. Dryads - berries. Catlings (or what their name is? nekko?) - jellys. In some situations (e.g. once a day) elves can give enchanted wooden armor, orcs - gems, Nagas - enchanted metal armors, saved (not ordinary) dryads might give potions and catlings - grilled meat.

Idea. Maybe high-level dryads might summon wasps or other relatively strong creatures (become spawners). And make them stronger overall so that it's not a bonus that a dryad gets angry "because she's easy to kill and gives xp at first levels", but a problem (at least not to anger two of them simultaneously).

UPD:
Finally I've managed to drill down to (s)elfish fortress, lava cave and orcish mines... I'd never get that cave building doesn't follow the rules of the overworld. I've thought all new ladders would lead the same direction as already present.
Some more option to train to higher levels - almost lvl.12 and it's not a limit in the orcish mine. Cool items just lying on the floor :) Nothing brand new, but looks really cool! :)
Still... useless goods (nothing unique) at both new traders. E.g. they might sell consumable water an food which is much more needed down there.
Looks like now I've truly seen everything the game offers at the moment :)

Also, you can grab the music I've selected from the World of Xeen at the same link at google drive I've sent you. Do you agree with my "music taste"? Should I look for something like that? Or am I going the wrong direction and it's nothing but nostalgie :) It sounds "old-style" but not exactly 8-bit. I can't say I like how all the music fits the game, mostly I like desert, overworld, cave, grotto and tomb, but I'm speaking about the general idea... Do you have any specific ideas about the current "menu" theme (like lead motiff) or is it just one music of the current set?
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 05 Dec 2016, 12:45

Thank you for so much new feedback!

I'll checking out the crash first. But if it is something that players can avoid easy I'll maybe make no version 2.1.2 but fix it with version 2.2.0 .

Sadly I wasn't able to worke much on RBA during the last days.(Family stuff)
At least I was able to add a few comments to the dungeon_generator function for you. If they are helpfull I can add more to the other generator functions.

About chalk:
You are right. Chalk is just a beginners item that allows you to block monsters and escape. There is no plan to make it craftable.

About the other items:

I will try to give you a brief instruction about the other items as soon as possible. But right now I don't have enough time to write a long article.

About the music:

I will check out your upload. Meanwhile I've found something interesting on oga a s well: http://opengameart.org/content/a-journeys-end
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 07 Dec 2016, 07:55

Played a little more, reached lvl.12 - now it's almost impossible to train even in orcish mines :) P.S. monsters lvl.2 and lvl.12 have exactly the same mark "2", still both levels seem to spawn in Orcish Mines (some of those yield xp and some don't).
Another thing is that player gets very quickly overwhelmend by orcs in the beginning of the mines. If he survives the starting point, then everything else is usually relatively easy. Maybe, some less mobs should spawn near the entrance (everywhere, but especially in orcish mines)?
The tool/weapon is getting damaged by opening player-built door. Plus, a simple "door open" sound would be nice - plenty of those in CC0 like RPGsounds_CC0_by_www.Kenney.nl from opengameart. I've uploaded those to the same link at google drive not to search oga, but actually that's rather a dummy sound I've had at hand, something better mignt be found.

P.S. With comments now the code is much more understandable for me. I can't give you any promises, especially for time, but I'll look what I can do here. That's the results I had for my game: http://opengameart.org/sites/default/fi ... amples.png
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 07 Dec 2016, 18:53

Played a little more, reached lvl.12 - now it's almost impossible to train even in orcish mines :) P.S. monsters lvl.2 and lvl.12 have exactly the same mark "2", still both levels seem to spawn in Orcish Mines (some of those yield xp and some don't).

I tried the mines today as well but I didn't encounter any monster on level 2. Instead I ecountered another crash there and was able to fix it, together with a few other things you mentioned in one of your earlier posts.

Another thing is that player gets very quickly overwhelmend by orcs in the beginning of the mines. If he survives the starting point, then everything else is usually relatively easy. Maybe, some less mobs should spawn near the entrance (everywhere, but especially in orcish mines)?

Maybe I can reduce the total count of monsters and add a secure area arund the stairs?

The tool/weapon is getting damaged by opening player-built door. Plus, a simple "door open" sound would be nice - plenty of those in CC0 like RPGsounds_CC0_by_www.Kenney.nl from opengameart. I've uploaded those to the same link at google drive not to search oga, but actually that's rather a dummy sound I've had at hand, something better mignt be found.

I'll check your sounds and add them or some better if I find some.
BTW I've exchanged the whole music and think RBA sounds much better now. What is your oppinion about it?

Today I wrote a little prototype for a launcher applet that can check the version and download updates automatically. I hope this will reduce the amount of work to release a new version a bit and make it more easy for players to stay up to date.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 08 Dec 2016, 08:02

themightyglider {l Wrote}:Maybe I can reduce the total count of monsters and add a secure area arund the stairs?

I think just reducing the monster density near the stairs will be absolutely enough.
BTW I've exchanged the whole music and think RBA sounds much better now. What is your oppinion about it?

I've already downloaded git version yesterday / or maybe tuesday and listened to the music. Yes, it's much better than previous one :) But I haven't played with it yet.
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 08 Dec 2016, 14:42

Today I've fixed another bug with the BGM and added a few more sound effects (door open/close, open inventory/loot menu and one if you try to move while immobilized).

I also changed the behavior of the immobilized buff. Now you can't walk as long the buff is active but you can fight back if you are surrounded by monsters. You also can open up your inventory and use items as long you are immobilized. I hope this will make this buff a bit less dangerous.

I think just reducing the monster density near the stairs will be absolutely enough.

No more monsters will spawn close to stairs now inside the grot, the dungeon,the tomb and the orcish mines. :)

The tool/weapon is getting damaged by opening player-built door.

I tried this out at least 20 times today with a wood axe. It always remained at 100%. This issue maybe needs a bit more investigation.

For tomorrow I plan to work on my launcher applet a bit more. I hope I can release version 2.1.2 together with this at the up coming weekend.

P.S.: I think about changing something about stealing monsters. How would it be if they give back your gems after killing them immediately instead of dropping them?
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 08 Dec 2016, 14:50

Great news!
themightyglider {l Wrote}:This issue maybe needs a bit more investigation.

I've omitted the detail I thought wasn't important. The tool was at zero quality and disappeared after opening the door.
It might corss-reference to the fact that weapon used in combat gets damaged, but doesn't disappear after becomes zero duarability (can be dropped, picked up and equipped/unequipped safely).

How would it be if they give back your gems after killing them immediately instead of dropping them?

Now with the stealing sound and image everything looks fine and easy to understand to me. It's a good idea the gems are in the loot, this looks more easy-to understand for new players.
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 08 Dec 2016, 16:17

I've omitted the detail I thought wasn't important. The tool was at zero quality and disappeared after opening the door.
It might corss-reference to the fact that weapon used in combat gets damaged, but doesn't disappear after becomes zero duarability (can be dropped, picked up and equipped/unequipped safely).

With this extra information I have got an idea what could cause both bugs. I will check this tomorrow.
Thanks! :)
themightyglider

Postby Akien » 08 Dec 2016, 18:41

I'll give packaging another try when 2.1.2 is released, my first attempt has started taking some dust :)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby eugeneloza » 09 Dec 2016, 08:31

themightyglider {l Wrote}:With this extra information I have got an idea what could cause both bugs.

Tested yesterday. Yes. The axe/pickaxe/mleeweapon may become zero durability (0% is not shown but it's absolutely below 3%) when fighting monsters.
They do not disappear and are as efficient as a normal weapon. However, still seldomly they disappear (maybe, during opening doors in the dungeons?) - I haven't found the exact pattern.
When gathering wood/stone items disappear correctly at 0% durability.
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 09 Dec 2016, 12:21

@Akien
Thanks for keeping up your interest in my project.

BTW I tested out Mageia a while ago and use it now on my (less free) computer. So RBA is partly made on Mageia. ;)

@eugeneloza

Tested yesterday. Yes. The axe/pickaxe/mleeweapon may become zero durability (0% is not shown but it's absolutely below 3%) when fighting monsters.
They do not disappear and are as efficient as a normal weapon. However, still seldomly they disappear (maybe, during opening doors in the dungeons?) - I haven't found the exact pattern.
When gathering wood/stone items disappear correctly at 0% durability.

I think this bug should be fixed now. In addition I've also added a item break sound and a shatter sound for vases.

If no further bugs occur I'll use the code as is for the release of version 2.1.2 this Sunday. After that I want head on to version 2.2.0, what will need a few breaking changes.

I'll try to post a roadmap for 2.2.0 later today.

EDIT

And here it is:

RBA Roadmap to 2.2.0

[- Must Have]
[* Nice To Have]

Milestone 1 (Better user expirience):

-Extra slots for axe/pickaxe
-Better inventory interaction
-Info screen for items
-Info screen with player states
-Better balancing
-Better crafting menus
*Better AI path finding

Milestone 2(More contennt):

-New sorts of stone/trees
-More decorative clothing/furniture/blueprints
-Add swamp
-Add wasteland
-Extend orcish mines/grot to full dungeons
*Improve villager NPC‘s

Milestone 3(Add Story):

-Add intro
-Add scripted events
*Archivements
themightyglider

Postby themightyglider » 11 Dec 2016, 19:05

Today I've created a new repo with the code of RBAlauncher.

https://gitgud.io/themightyglider/RBAlauncher

Tomorrow I will build the MS Windows standalone and publish it on itch.io together with version 2.1.2.
themightyglider

Postby eugeneloza » 12 Dec 2016, 09:13

So... I can give you a little motivation boost :)
As soon as you're finished with milestone 2 (most of all I'm interested in new areas) - I'll make a let's play of Roguebox :)
eugeneloza

Postby themightyglider » 12 Dec 2016, 11:26

A let's play?! This could really make a difference for RBA's visibility. I will link this on the game page then. :)

Today I've released version 2.1.2 together with the launcher on itch.io. You can check it out if you like.

I hope I will be able to reach Milestone 2 until April 2017. I will keep you up to date here. :D
themightyglider

Postby Akien » 12 Dec 2016, 11:36

Regarding your above milestones, I think you should maybe split them up in separate releases themselves.

Release early, release often is much better than working 6 months on version 2.2.0.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby themightyglider » 12 Dec 2016, 16:06

You are right. Maybe I should make a own release for every milestone.
themightyglider

Postby themightyglider » 14 Dec 2016, 09:04

Today I started working on the improvement of RBA's inventory. Now I feel like sharing a first screenshot.

This sub menu will show up for every selected item.

I think this is much better then the old solution.
themightyglider