TBFTSS - The Pandoran War

Re: TBFTSS - The Pandoran War

Postby StephenJSweeney » 12 May 2017, 18:19

Sounds like the missiles are somewhat overpowered; I suppose after developing the game for a year, I guess I was too close to it to notice things like that.

That a TAF can be destroyed by a single missile is a problem, for sure. I've created a branch to play around with the difficulty somewhat, and thus decreased the damage the missiles do from 75pts down to 50pts. This means that a TAF will be heavily damaged by a hit, but not destroyed. This does mean, however, that it will take more missiles to take down some of the more powerful fighters later in the game, though. Another tweak is decreasing the recharge times of both the ECM and Boost from 7 seconds to 4.5 seconds.

The branch can be found here:

https://github.com/stephenjsweeney/tbftss/tree/missiles

It includes the patch you sent for the galactic map (I believe it was you..?).

If the game still proves monsterously difficult, I could always look into creating an Easy Mode for the campaign, that would see things like the player receiving double armour and shield, faster recharge times (inc. for shields), more missiles, and less aggressive enemies.
StephenJSweeney

Postby c_xong » 14 May 2017, 06:29

To compensate for the weaker missiles, you need to increase the amount of missiles and the AI's willingness to use it. It seems that missiles only get used once or twice per mission, at least in the first few.
c_xong

Postby StephenJSweeney » 24 May 2017, 16:15

I've also started uploading gameplay videos of all the major missions here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... UeSQmY-j9n

I'll mostly be adding them over the weekend, as my broadband is unmetered then, and some of the videos are upwards of 300MB, so there will be several GBs to do!
StephenJSweeney

Postby onpon4 » 26 Apr 2018, 11:28

I just gave this a try a couple of days ago. I must admit I was blown away; this is a well-designed game.

So, I've got to ask: why did you choose to put all the data you created for this game under a proprietary license? It doesn't make sense to me; almost all of the external data you used is under a libre license (the only exception is a couple sound files under the CC Sampling+ license), and as far as I can tell you're not a staunch anti-capitalist. So what was your motivation?

It's not going to stop me from enjoying the game (it doesn't seem to be an example of a "gaming trap", since I didn't find any scripts in my trove through the data), but it's a shame that the only reason I can't put this game in my libre game recommendations list is because you chose to make it proprietary (it would be trivial to replace the few externally sourced proprietary sound effects).
onpon4

Postby StephenJSweeney » 28 Apr 2018, 07:21

Good to hear you're enjoying it.

I decided from the start of the project that the game was going to incorporate and expand upon elements from my space opera novels - create new characters, plot points, events, places, etc. I therefore chose that anything I created myself (graphics and data files) for the game would be placed under a non-commercial license, so that people were free to play and distribute the game, but not sell it.
StephenJSweeney