Illarion MMORPG

Illarion MMORPG

Postby Nikita_Sadkov » 26 Aug 2015, 09:13

http://illarion.org/general/us_startpage.php

Isometric MMORPG. Compared to Daimonin, it is truly open source (graphics and audio can be freely used in other projects).

"llarion is developed as Open Source Software. The sources of the Java software are released under GPLv3 while sources of server, maps and game content are released under AGPLv3. All sources are free for public usage."
Nikita_Sadkov

Re: Illarion MMORPG

Postby Taknamay » 26 Aug 2015, 18:08

This looks cool!
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby Vandar » 28 Aug 2015, 15:09

Since you mention Daimonin, are the projects related somehow? Many years ago I had a bit of contact with the Daimonin head developer, but it got lost ...
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
Vandar

Postby Nikita_Sadkov » 28 Aug 2015, 15:21

Vandar {l Wrote}:Since you mention Daimonin, are the projects related somehow? Many years ago I had a bit of contact with the Daimonin head developer, but it got lost ...

Both are Ultime Online inspired isometric MMORPGs, but Daimonin's author openly dislikes when people fork his project, setup competing servers or use any of his graphics/sounds at all.
https://www.atrinik.org/index.php/topic,551.0.html
Nikita_Sadkov

Postby Vandar » 28 Aug 2015, 15:35

Daimonin was (is) a fork of the Crossfire game engine, and Daimonin changed that to isometric display, also added new UIs. But I lost contact somewhen before 2005, so I have no idea what happened since then.

That time Daimonin used some graphics from me, which I had not released as open source, but just gave permission to include them in Daimonin. I think my graphics have been superseeded by others long ago, but I can imagine that Daimonin still contains free (no cost), but not open assets, so it's understandable that they can't be used in other projects, and that's not the fault of the team. It's just been the contract between the artists and the team - free to use, but not free to share further.

Open graphics were few those days, and the open graphics were usually bad quality. The world has changed a lot since then, and you shouldn't judge people on nowadays standards for decisions that they made more than 10 years ago, under quite different circumstances.

Forks are such a thing - as an open source developer you must accept forks, but at times it feels quite bad if you have spend 10 years of your life on a project, and them someone, who never contributed much, comes, forks it, and takes 50% of your user base with them. It's a personality issue, but for some personality types open source is not ideal, and they notice it badly in such moments.
In soviet russia, code debugs you.
Vandar

Postby Nikita_Sadkov » 28 Aug 2015, 15:52

Vandar {l Wrote}:Open graphics were few those days, and the open graphics were usually bad quality. The world has changed a lot since then, and you shouldn't judge people on nowadays standards for decisions that they made more than 10 years ago, under quite different circumstances.

Forks are such a thing - as an open source developer you must accept forks, but at times it feels quite bad if you have spend 10 years of your life on a project, and them someone, who never contributed much, comes, forks it, and takes 50% of your user base with them. It's a personality issue, but for some personality types open source is not ideal, and they notice it badly in such moments.

As I understand, the Daimonin's author profits from selling ingame content, so he obviously opposes forks.

He even accused some fork developer of hacking him:
https://www.daimonin.org/11237/importan ... ity-issue/

I.e. it is not like Michtoen cares that much about artists, but more like being afraid of people setting up competing servers.
Nikita_Sadkov

Postby beoran_alt » 29 Aug 2015, 01:37

I played the game on my Linux laptop for a while but it loaded extremely slowly, (why is it running maven in the background???) used up most of the RAM on my system and then played in a very choppy and slow manner. My laptop is less than 1 year old. Unfortunately, the low performance means I will not be able to play the game. And sory to say this, but as developer myself I question the wisdom of implementing this in Java. I think this causes the game to use far more memory than it really needs, and slows down the game far more than it could be if it was written in C. I learned this lesson myself the hard way, I wrote a whole game engine in a GC'd language and I had to scrap it in the end and move it to C because it was too slow.

For the rest the game does look cool and looks like it will shape up nicely, just that I won' be able to play it... :(
beoran_alt

Postby Thomos » 29 Oct 2015, 19:14

I tried the game on Windows 8.1 (64 bit version).
I'm impressed by the clean interface and the tutorial.

Thanks for the links on Daimonin, the info in those threads was new to me.
currently working on WorldGrower, a 2D turn-based rpg sandbox game.
Thomos

Postby Taknamay » 13 Nov 2015, 21:39

This game is very slow for me. I would like if they would put graphics options in the client so I can play at the lowest settings.
Check out the #freegaming tag on fediverse.
Taknamay

Postby Nitram » 30 Jan 2016, 17:16

Hey,

while looking similar, Daimonin and Illarion are actually absolutely unrelated. Illarion originally was created by some players of Tibia who got annoyed by the game and thought they could do better. That was something around 16 years ago. And while looking from time to time at other projects, Illarion was always a independent project.

Regarding the bad performance on Linux: This usually points to a issue with OpenGL. I can play the game with a acceptable performance on a old Intel HD 3000 graphics device with a 6 years old laptop on Debian 8. You are of course right, that Java is not the obvious choice when it comes to developing a game. But the performance is not as bad as one would suspect and the massive advantage is that we get a cross-platform game without the need to actually compile against different platforms. How ever the parts of the game that are really performance critical, such as the actual interaction with OpenGL, use a library (LWJGL) that implements the relevant parts in C++.

The maven that is running is "just" the launcher tool that uses a maven implementation to fetch the dependencies for the game. No worries, it cleans up after itself so you don't get the mess maven usually creates on your computer. :wink:
Nitram
Lead Client Developer of Illarion
The OpenSource Online Roleplaying Game
http://illarion.org
Nitram